Help

melizabeth

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I recently rescued 4 feral 4 week old kittens from my yard. They seemed healthy but their poop is an orangey color and sometimes has a little blood. They're being adopted in two weeks and I can't afford spending $300 for all of them to see the vet before then. I gave them some kitten formula milk the first couple days, but I knew they were old enough for wet food so I changed them to only that. Could it be the change of diet? Any help would be appreciated. It's also very watery and like diarrhea. They're happy and seem fine though

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
M melizabeth

Orange poop is indicative of too much bile from the liver, and can also be infection that will not go away without antibiotics. The diarrhea it causes can dehydrate the kittens, and cause raw, sore bottoms.

Please do see a vet for antibiotics to cure the orange diarrhea, and let me know how this goes. It should only cost the price of one office visit plus the medication, so should not be expensive.

They should not be put up for adoption until they are healthy.

Thank you for rescuing these kittens so they have a future! [emoji]128077[/emoji]

Last edited:

catsknowme

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Welcome to TCS and bless you for rescuing those kittens!! 

There are some good articles at www.kitten-rescue.com.  The food could easily be causing the problem.  Since dehydration is a concern, giving electrolyte replacer such as unflavored Pedialyte (Moms2Moms brand also works well, and in a pinch, there is a homemade recipe). Also, adult canned cat food is often too rich and some brands contain grains....my method is to switch to boiled chicken & boiled white rice until the stools firm up.  Give the broth blended with the Pedialyte blend and small amounts of the chicken/rice. This gives their tiny bodies a chance to ease the internal inflammations and irritations. Gradually switch back to the regular kitten food....if it is canned adult food, be sure to dilute and also keep giving the boiled chicken. You can also consider giving soaked, high quality kitten food, such as Royal Canin Baby Cat ; it costs more, but there are less fillers so I find the total cost to be similar because the cats & kittens eat less. If budget is a problem,  Cat&Co Kitten Blend has been working well for my feral kittens.

If their poop becomes smelly, then try to find a vet who works with ferals - they will sometimes have you try Biomoxx and that can help. I also recommend that you consider consulting a holistic vet about using herbs such as slippery elm, red raspberry leaf, marshmallow root as those might be beneficial in soothing those little kitten digestive tracks. 

Meanwhile, prayers and vibes that the diarrhea resolves very, very soon.... it's rough enough having a human baby with diarrhea let alone a WHOLE LITTER!!!!

You are a real cat hero