HELP!!!

jerry9

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I have three cats of my own and another (a Maine Coon) that turns up many nights and sleeps in a cat bed on my enclosed porch.  It's really cold this winter and he is covered in mats.  He let me cut out a few of them but most are so close to the skin that he would have to be shaved.  If I have that done what do I do with him until spring?  He won't stay in the house and I don't want him to freeze to death with no fur at all.  I've put up signs all over the neighborhood (picture included) and have had no response so no one is taking responsibility for him.  He is in pain and has even pulled a few out on his own - his chest is almost bare.  Any suggestions?  Help would be really appreciated.   Thanks sooo much.

stephanietx

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Gosh, what a difficult situation.  The only option you have if you shave him, is to keep him inside.  It would be hard, but it's the only thing you could do.  Is there any possibility of working with a rescue or your vet to find him a permanent home?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

jerry9

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thanks for the reply Steph.................Charlie (yes, I named him) will be living with my sister who lives right next to me with her cat Mickey.  I would take him myself but Jack, Jerry and Morgan (my three) are terrified of him and won't even go out if he's on the porch.  This cat is BIG!

blackcat416

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
If he is seeking shelter in your porch and you have been able to approach him, he certainly doesn't seem he is a feral cat. I would attempt to capture just in case he has a family far away looking for him. He could have a chip in him and you don't know it. Cats can travel long distances to hunt, spray, mate, etc. if you know he is a boy it must be obvious and as a Maine Coon could be used for breeding. I would capture, have a vet or rescue shelter check him out, see if anyone has reported him missing from miles away. If your sister is going to keep him, she will want to neuter him. So under the anesthia I would also have him shaved. But I would start by calling shelters from far away as his owner may not want a neutered Maine Coon.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

jerry9

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Great advice,  thank you!