Help :(

ellen557

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I just went to clean my cat's litter box and found blood in her feaces. There was a drop of blood on the side of the box as well. I adopted her a week ago and they said she was already desexed - at her check up a few days ago, the vet also said that she has probably been pregnant before. She is 2.

Am I right to be worried or do you think it is just something normal? It's almost midnight here now so I can't take her to the vet... argh.

Strange Wings - Nope, she's been on the same food as the shelter had which is dry food... I can't seem to think of anything that could be the reason for it, she doesn't seem to be in any pain either.
I want to add as well that she is up to date with all vaccinations.

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Blood in feces suggests a stool issue, not heat. Cats aren't like dogs in their heats, anyways (which is probably what you're thinking).

Either she has parasites/protozoa or she had an unusually firm stool that could have cause a bit of bleeding. Either way it's something that can wait till a morning vet visit.
If it's the latter - since she's newly adopted, did you change her food?

farleyv

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have seen blood in my cats feces before. Prob here is I have 7 cats and didn't know who did it! However, nothing came of it and never saw it again.

I would give vet a call in the am. Don't go by my experience.

Someone will come along to give better info. It is 7:30 am here, so everyone is up and you should hear soon.

Good luck, hope it is nothing to be too concerned about.

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by ellen557

Strange Wings - Nope, she's been on the same food as the shelter had which is dry food... I can't seem to think of anything that could be the reason for it, she doesn't seem to be in any pain either.
Well, sometimes life changes can cause kitties GI tracts to get a little off (stress does it to humans, too). I hope it's minor and you were able to get her into the vet today or soon.

darlili

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Was it a drop of bright red blood, as opposed to dark blood in the stool itself? I'd call the vet, but I wouldn't panic yet. As mentioned, a lot of times when there's a bit of straining during a bowel movement, or maybe a little irritation, you might get a bit of blood (like humans). Even just getting a new home, no matter how loving, can throw their digestion, and bowel movements, off a bit.

Good luck - I know it's worrisome, but I've had the issue of a bit of bright blood with my boy, and so far, nothing other than a transitory bm problem, per the vet.

northernglow

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
One of my cats has an irritable bowel syndroma or something similar, and he gets bright blood in his feces sometimes. He can get it from food switching, stress or sometimes even when something trivial happens like I move the sofa to a new place.
Kinda ironic actually, as he is the alfa male here and doesn't show his sensitiveness at all.
As others have metioned, if the blood is bright and there isn't lots of it (and it's on top of the feces, not mixed with it), the situation isn't that bad. Of course if she seems sick (or the blood is dark), then I would suggest a visit to the ER.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

ellen557

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thanks so much everyone. It was bright red and mostly over the outside, but now that I think about it, there seemed to be a bright red string of blood inside the stool as well. Anyway I will definitely be calling the vet today but thank you everyone for helping me out! It made me calm down a little bit, haha