Help! Yellow discharge during birth.

LauraMih

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello, I am very concerned! My cat got pregnant for the first time and she had 5 kittens, maybe more, we’re kinda in the middle of it. For the first 4 all was going well, she cut the sack, the cord, cleaned them, I think she ate the placenta. Afterwards she was very tired and laid down while the kittens were eating so I thought she was done and went to bed (I sat with her for 2 hours and its 4 AM so no vet). I woke up because the kittens were crying so I went to check on them and she was giving birth to the fifth one which was a surprise but whatever. But when I looked at it closer, the last one was covered in a yellowish discharge, it didn’t smell like anything but after I went to get my phone she already cleaned it off. Im just really panicking because google said yellow discharge is very bad, shes also not cutting the cord and the placenta is still attached. She is just laying down, I think she’s really tired. The baby looks fine, eating and moving but Im scared for the mother!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

LauraMih

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Btw! She did get up and cut the cord so the main concern is just the discharge, it had like a sticky, gooey texture, idk how to explain sorry! Rn she is purring and hugging her babies. Im very proud of her but very scared also.

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Btw! She did get up and cut the cord so the main concern is just the discharge, it had like a sticky, gooey texture, idk how to explain sorry! Rn she is purring and hugging her babies. Im very proud of her but very scared also.
Phone your vet in the morning and ask.

Cats have a better immunity for bacterias than humans, so she should be OK, even if it was pus and she licked of it...
The baby hasnt the same defences, but as long it seems OK, lets hope for the best.

Do weight them every day, in grammes; its a good way to get knowledge how they are faring... The very experienced notice this anyway, but for all us less experienced weighting them every day is important.

LauraMih

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Phone your vet in the morning and ask.

Cats have a better immunity for bacterias than humans, so she should be OK, even if it was pus and she licked of it...
The baby hasnt the same defences, but as long it seems OK, lets hope for the best.

Do weight them every day, in grammes; its a good way to get knowledge how they are faring... The very experienced notice this anyway, but for all us less experienced weighting them every day is important.
Ok thanks! They seem to be doing good, they’re active and eating, I’ll keep track of their weight to be safe. The mom is very tired but overall seems fine, just more affectionate than usual. Also I don’t think that was puss but I’ll contact the vet anyway. Thanks again!

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If you took a picture of it send that too to the vet. Mom may have been exhausted. Just watch for any discharge coming from her, and that she is eating, drinking, and using the litter box OK. Give her some goats milk (Walmart) or KMR kitten replacement milk, she may need some calcium if she used up all her energy, they can shake from too low of calcium. NO cows milk. Give her kitten food too, it is higher in calories and nutrition which she will need for nursing. If she stops eating, bring her in. Congratulations, I bet they are SO precious!

LauraMih

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
If you took a picture of it send that too to the vet. Mom may have been exhausted. Just watch for any discharge coming from her, and that she is eating, drinking, and using the litter box OK. Give her some goats milk (Walmart) or KMR kitten replacement milk, she may need some calcium if she used up all her energy, they can shake from too low of calcium. NO cows milk. Give her kitten food too, it is higher in calories and nutrition which she will need for nursing. If she stops eating, bring her in. Congratulations, I bet they are SO precious!
Thank you so much for all the advice!! And yes they are adorable!!