Help worried owner

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

kittykitcat2233

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Yes immediately at birth I put them both on the back nipples because ive be been told they produce more milk. For some reason all of the kittens are going to the front nipples instead so there hasn't been any competition as of yet. The smallest one sometimes falls off at the slightest movement of mommy I've given them both 4 ml today in total in 2 sittings. They both seem to have perked up and have gained 3 grams each. I'm sure the smallest is premature. He's the size of my index finger. He's able to move and crawl however he is very small and has alot of wrinkles. He's quite aggressive and loves to squeal when mommy gets up to eat. Hopefully this is a good sign and means hes a fighter!

Last edited:

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
It sounds like he's a fighter. I think supplementing him and the other tiny one is critical now. The 3 gram gains are terrific! Keep it up! [emoji]128522[/emoji]

talkingpeanut

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Very sweet.

You will want to put them in a box with some walls. This will prevent kittens from wandering off and getting cold.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Aww! That's so sweet. Mom is very pretty too. [emoji]128522[/emoji][emoji]128149[/emoji]

kittykitcat2233

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I have a bit of cardboard which I block the rest of the cupboard off with so they won't escape hehe. I'm not sure if its just me but I think I can feel another lump in her. It's not on the other side so I don't think it's swelling. Shes also acting like how she did yesterday. She's being very affectionate and begging for a tummy rub. Maybe it's just the hormones? I'm not to concerned because she's not distressed. She's just full of surprises.

kittykitcat2233

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
She didn't end up having a sixth one. Im sure I saw her straining last night but she seems to be back to normal again. She's sill having some brownish reddish discharge which she took great delight with rubbing on the carpet. The kittens have all gained a good amount of weight.
Kitten 1 was 101g now is 106g
Prem kitty was 59g now is 71g
Small kitty was 74g now is 83g
Kitten 4 was 81g now is 92g
Moustache kitty was 89g now is 93
These weights are from yesteeday morning. I'm sure the last weights was inaccurate by a large amount so I borrowed a pet weighing scale from a friend. These ones I'm sure r better and more accurate. Mum is doing well and seems quite relexaed and calm.

Last edited:

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
I'm guessing mom was experiencing after pains, which can feel like the real thing. The spotting discharge is normal, and the weight gains are awesome! Keep up the terrific job! [emoji]128522[/emoji]

kittykitcat2233

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Mum still seems to be actin fine in terms of behaviour and how she cares for the kittens. But yesterday I saw her go into the litter box for the first time since shed given birh. She was straining for quite a while and then she passed a MASSIVE poo. Since then shes had diarrohea last night and again this morning. Is this okay or will it clear up on its own. I'm feeding her Felix kitten for an royal Cain baby cat dry. The only different thing I gave her was a bowel of kmr.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Hold off on the KMR for now until her diarrhea is over. It sounds like she's clearing her system. Is she better now?

kittykitcat2233

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
No she had another case of it a hour ago. I've cut her dry food to prevent de-hyration. If she carries on with this by Friday I'll take her on to the vets for a check over.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
I think if she is still having diarrhea you should go ahead and phone your vet about it. Today is 3 days now. Steady diarrhea is not good. She may need treatment. Please see what they suggest.

kittykitcat2233

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I took her to the vet like you suggested and they told me it may just be stress related. Thankfully it seems to have cleared up this morning and has gone back to normal. She hasn't had anymore spotting so I think everything is well. Thank you for ur help.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
I'm glad to hear the diarrhea has cleared up! [emoji]128522[/emoji]