HELP WITH WOUNDED KITTEN

Bhansen108

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My husband was on his way home from work and found this kitten in the middle of a busy road. He managed to turn around and get her. There wasn’t any houses near either. She has a small wound on the side of her lip and a rather big cut on the top of her nose. Everything else seems fine. I picked up Nutrical and Vetericyn and gave that to her after I cleaned the area. She looks to be around 6/7 weeks old. Walking fine. Meowing okay. Not breathing out of her mouth. Her pupils are the same size and she seems fine other than the occasional sneezing fit and sometimes I can see like clear drainage in her nostrils. I’ve used a paper towel and gently used it to wipe the nostrils but is there anything else I can do. We don’t have the money for a vet Bill at this moment because we just paid the mortgage but I don’t want her to get worse. Any insight would be greatly appreciated

Attachments

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
You probably know this, but no witch hazel, alcohol, or hydrogen peroxide. Hydrogen peroxide if ingested by a cat can be fatal and those wounds are too close to her mouth. You are very kind to have helped this kitten and I do get that you do not feel that you have money for a vet visit. What do you think caused the injuries? If she fell or were hit, there could be internal injuries which might not be readily apparent. If it were an animal attack that she escaped, she may be more likely to have the surface wounds. I don't know what you schedule is like, but if you can, she should be monitored and not left alone until this seems to be resolving itself.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Above and beyond trying to help her yourself, you need to be looking into various sources that could help - such as no kill shelters, rescue centers that you could surrender her to so that she can get looked at to find out what might all be going on. If you are concerned about going that route, then look for possible financial sources to help you (see link below). Another way to reach some potential help - although it would still likely cost you something - would be to solicit for fosters/care takers via Next Door Neighbor, if you have that site available to you. A lot of the fosters use low cost clinics to hep them out with the strays and ferals they work with.
No Money For Vet Care? How To Find Help And Save Your Cat’s Life – TheCatSite Articles

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Bhansen108

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
You probably know this, but no witch hazel, alcohol, or hydrogen peroxide. Hydrogen peroxide if ingested by a cat can be fatal and those wounds are too close to her mouth. You are very kind to have helped this kitten and I do get that you do not feel that you have money for a vet visit. What do you think caused the injuries? If she fell or were hit, there could be internal injuries which might not be readily apparent. If it were an animal attack that she escaped, she may be more likely to have the surface wounds. I don't know what you schedule is like, but if you can, she should be monitored and not left alone until this seems to be resolving itself.
Yes! I’ve only wiped around it with a wet qtip and then used Vetericyn plus, antimicrobial hydrogel on it. I’m not sure what caused the injuries. It does not seem like she was hit and I feel like like she fell from a moving vehicle, there would be more physical injuries I could see. I have her in our bathroom with the essentials and a covered cat bed.

Bhansen108

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Above and beyond trying to help her yourself, you need to be looking into various sources that could help - such as no kill shelters, rescue centers that you could surrender her to so that she can get looked at to find out what might all be going on. If you are concerned about going that route, then look for possible financial sources to help you (see link below). Another way to reach some potential help - although it would still likely cost you something - would be to solicit for fosters/care takers via Next Door Neighbor, if you have that site available to you. A lot of the fosters use low cost clinics to hep them out with the strays and ferals they work with.
No Money For Vet Care? How To Find Help And Save Your Cat’s Life – TheCatSite Articles
Definitely, he just got home not too long ago but I will be reaching out to see if I could get some help with her and maybe get her into a rescue. I just was looking for some insight in the meantime

Sylvia Jones

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
What a wonderful husband Lucky little kitten Hopefully it just has the surface wounds that will heal under your care Keep us updated and come back with questions

Bhansen108

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I just wanted to give you all an update! We were going to nurse her as good as we could until we could get her to a vet. By Monday she was perfect! She is running around the house, eating hard and soft food, using the litter box! She is extremely spoiled and so loved! We named her Cosmo! All four of my children absolutely adore her and they tote her around all day! She even loves to snuggle up next to our dog while they are on the couch! We are still going to take her to the vet, we just need to wait until payday!

Attachments

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
Those are so heartwarming! She feels safe enough with you to lay on her back and stretch out. She is one lucky little girl.

stephanietx

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Your house will never be the same with a tortie in it! I'm sure she's full of sass! Bless your husband for rescuing her and for doing what you did to nurse her back to health. Seems she's a hit with the family! Don't forget to get her to the vet for a checkup, deworming, and all that stuff.