Help with territorial cat

calicosrspecial

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Great, so glad Patchy is showing interest. The smaller ones we can use later on order to expand their comfort areas. It is ok if you don't have the space for another large one. The small ones will be fine.

How is Gabriel doing? 

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

crazy4beags

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Gabriel is doing okay. He still shows a lot of interest in different smells of the cats. Honey LOVES the cat tree and with the rescue remedy seems so much more relaxed than she was before. She still has some issues coming up my hallway and I think all the cats had the runs because of all the treats they have been getting, so I give them freeze dried chicken, tuna, or canned chicken as treats. Sometimes even just a little crunchy food. If I'm home early enough or don't go to work until later I do their training multiple times a day.

calicosrspecial

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
So glad Gabriel is doing ok. It is very normal that he still is showing interest in the smells. Keep associating the smells with good things.

So happy that Honey is doing better. Keep trying to get her into the hallway in a positive way (using food).

Hope the diarrhea stops soon, sometimes it can be a bit too much on the system.

You are doing a great job, keep up the great work. The more confident Gabriel is the easier it will be.

crazy4beags

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
All the cats are growing in confidence. We did have a little mishap the other day where Gabriel got out of my room. He didn't jump on anybody, but I sure didn't give him the opportunity to do so. Honey was inside, so she kind of freaked out about it a little. She seems to be calming down about it finally. My dad actually told me this morning that patchy was leaning against my door. No hissing or anything. She was just sitting there. I'm not sure if it's because she's becoming a little senile or if she wanted food from me. My brother fed Gabriel in my room and he said Gabriel wasn't paying much attention except for when I spoke. I'm going to need to give them another two weeks before I can move on to the next step though as I'll get paid late. So, I won't be able to get a screen door until than. I do think that patchy and Gabe can move on to the next step. 

calicosrspecial

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
This is terrific.  I love that Patchy was by your door and was not hissing. Really good. And I love that Gabriel was focused on the food, they can smell the other cat and food was more interesting. Associating the other scent with good things (food). Great.

How exactly did things go when Gabriel got out? You mention he didn't jump on anybody but you didn't give him the opportunity. How did Honey react? Sounds like she wasn't too bad. How did Gabriel react?

How is Gabriel carrying himself? Is he acting more confident?  Going high, walking with his tail up, etc?

How is Honey carrying herself?

That is fine on the screen door. Just keep building their confidence especially Gabriel and Honey. Play, food, height and any love possible without getting hurt. Keep being calm and confident around them.

You made my day with this post, keep doing what you are doing because you are doing great!!

crazy4beags

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Honey sat there, she was clearly alarmed as her pupils dialated. Gabriel knew he wasn't supposed to run out of my room, so he went under the chair Honey was on as soon as he knew there was no escape. Gabriel almost always walks around confidently. The only time he doesn't is when he is let out of my room. As he investigates things he acts nervously and wags his tail (the swishing back and forth quite pronounced), which HAS decreased. Honey still carries herself pretty much the same. She does seem a little calmer though. She does best early in the morning when not a whole lot is going on.

calicosrspecial

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It doesn't sound too bad.

GREAT that Gabriel walks around confidently. That is very important. Totally normal he is cautious when venturing out. But so glad his tail is wagging less rapidly. Very good. If he is confident he will be less likely to attack Honey (or Patchy). 

So glad that Honey is a little calmer. She is going to be a bit more of a project but hopefully we can build her confidence. A confident cat rarely attacks another confident cat.

It sounds like you are making progress. Good work!!

crazy4beags

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
It wasn't and I had a break through with Honey! She ate her treats this morning about six inches from my bedroom door with Gabriel right on the other side eating crunchy food! She heard a noise and walked away when she did, but we sat there for a good while before she did.

calicosrspecial

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
AWESOME!!! Just try to keep those experiences happening. Good experiences with no threat. Associating him with good things. Great work!!

crazy4beags

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Honey is gaining confidence. I've been using the comfort zone spray with rescue remedy for her. Also have been giving her treats and her normal meals on the cat tree. She hung out eating treats by my open bedroom door for a longer period of time. Especially if my dog is distracted with her own treats.

Patchy still gets nervous if paws come under the door. She swatted at them, no hissing and was brought right back to food. Gabriel wanted more food so I crammed some under the door. That's why he was reaching.

Gabriel is doing well. No more yucky tummy for any of the cats. For him and patchy I use their crunchy food as treats and Honey gets the normal treats she likes.

calicosrspecial

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Awesome!! Great work.

It is normal for the other cat (Patchy) to swat at paws from under a door. Just keep doing what you are doing. Great that she went right back to the food.

Great that their tummies are doing well. 

Keep up the great work, building confidence and associating the other cats with good things (food).

crazy4beags

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Well, I have to rehome him. He got out and I had to pry him off my older cat. It's clear he wants the territory to himself.

calicosrspecial

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thank you for the update. I was thinking all was going well.

I am so sorry. At least you tried. You did your best which is all we can do.

I hope Patchy and Honey are ok.

I hope you find a good home for him. He sounds like a good cat just not good with other cats sadly. Please be very careful that if you do take him to a no kill shelter it really is no kill. 

Thank you so much for doing your best and giving him a chance. I know how hard it is for you but I hope you know that you did all you could. That is all we can do.

If you need anything just feel free to message me. Wishing you all the best during this difficult time. Thanks again for trying so hard for him.

crazy4beags

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I will find him a home myself. I thought things were going well too until I literally had to pry him off poor patchy. I'm hoping my aunt will take him. She has a HUGE house and somebody is always there to play with him or pet him. I just have to make sure they will never ever bring another cat in. Ever. The only way I know how to describe the attack was him trying to kill her. He's a great cat without other cats, friendly, playful, loves being pet and cuddling. He doesn't even react to dogs. It's everything but the other cats.

calicosrspecial

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thank you so much for caring about him and trying to find a home for him.

I hope Patchy is ok.  Patchy sounds like a sweetheart. Urghhhhhhhhh.

You did so much for him and you socialized him. He sounds like a great cat and in the right house he should be a great family member. I hope your aunt can take him or if not you can find him a good home. Again thank you for being so responsible towards his future.

Please be proud of how you helped him, you gave him a chance he would never have had. You did all you could, you did the best anyone could have.

Hang in there, I know how difficult it is.

crazy4beags

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I know I haven't been on in a while, but I am stuck with a cat that hates other cats. I still have Gabriel and the two girls. Now my question is how the heck do I keep them all occupied, especially Gabriel, when I'm away? I have been rotating them in and out of rooms so Gabriel isn't stuck in my room all the time. We are also getting an outdoor enclosure so he can enjoy time outside. My boyfriend and I (when we are married) will be moving to the front part of the house, which has a mother in laws quarters, so rotating cats won't be an issue for very long and my girls can have "run of the house" again without much worry of being attacked. I am in school and now work at a vet's office. My concern is IF I would have to move into an apartment at some point with either of my ladies still alive. Perhaps getting a two bedroom that the girls can go in when I let my little monster out? Do I just get professional help to get my cats to get along and at least tolerate each other? What are your opinions? Perhaps reading on how to "catify" my house better would help with boredom?

calicosrspecial

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hi,

Welcome back.

I would do a couple of things. I would consider adding some window perches or add some cat trees so they can look out of the windows at all the birds and wildlife or just people walking by. I would also look to add some toys that do not need human interaction. I am not an expert on toys but I know there are people on here with great ideas about toys like that. You may want to start a separate thread on that topic.

I am so glad you are getting an outside enclosure for him. I think he will probably love that. 

If possible I would continue to build all the cat's confidence (through play, food, height and love) and to keep trying to associate the girls and Gabriel and vice versa with good things. A confident cat is less likely to chase/attack and also less likely to be chased/attacked. Also try to be as calm and confident around them as possible as cats do take on our emotions.

Catifying is a good idea. Think about adding cat shelving so they can have places to go and either use to climb or to hang out. Also add cat trees (so they can look out) and scratching posts so they can "own" territory. A lot of comfy and warm  bedding. Think like a cat when you consider these. Cats love to watch from up high, sleep in warm places, hunt and run around.

A professional may be helpful but I think you can do it on your own if you have time. Building their confidence and associating the cats with good things are the best way to get them to get along. Sometimes it really is impossible but most of the time it is possible with effort and time. The key is to get them so they don't fear the other cat(s) or fear losing access to territory or food or love. The more times they are together without a negative encounter (a chase, a fight etc) the more they will be trusting and confident and secure.

I hope this kind of helps answer your questions. This should hopefully help prepare them for a potential move sometime in the future. Moving can be a challenge and can present new problems but the more confident they are going int the move the less disruptive it should be.

Please feel free to always ask anything anytime. We are always here for you.

crazy4beags

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thanks, I just started ordering more stuff for Gabriel to help keep him occupied during my time away. Patchy and Honey seem content with our chairs and cat tree for the time being. I've been doing things with their diet and just playing with Gabriel and giving all of them attention. Things have seemed to calm down a lot since the two girls and my boy haven't had a run in with each other. I may give it a couple more months before starting the process of introductions again.

calicosrspecial

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Great, it sounds like you are doing a great job with them. Thank you for the update.

The key really is to build their confidence (play, food, height and love - as long as you are not at risk of being hurt) and to be as calm and confident around them as possible. Then trying to associate them with something good (food especially). Anytime they can smell each other and not be subject to anything negative (a chase, a swat, a growl etc) is is a positive and helps them feel comfortable around the other cat(s).

I will be here for you anytime so please never hesitate to ask anything. Keep up the great work.