Help with Sub-Q's and Aggressive Cat

nekochan

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I always warm the fluids to body temperature. I put the bag against my arm and if I can feel a temperature difference between it and my skin, it's not warm enough (or if it feels hot to me it's too warm.)
It can take quite a while to warm them up, and I also make sure to swish the bag around while warming so the fluid warms all the way through. I have found that getting them warmed enough makes a big difference. Some of the pets I've given warm fluids to objected a bit to the actual needle going in but none of them objected to the body-temp fluids going in.

I also tent the skin quite a bit and hold it up/tented (if they'll let me) for a short time after the fluids start flowing to help it spread under the skin better (this only works if you use two people though, otherwise you don't have an extra hand to hold the skin tented.)

otto

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Nekochan

I always warm the fluids to body temperature. I put the bag against my arm and if I can feel a temperature difference between it and my skin, it's not warm enough (or if it feels hot to me it's too warm.)
It can take quite a while to warm them up, and I also make sure to swish the bag around while warming so the fluid warms all the way through. I have found that getting them warmed enough makes a big difference. Some of the pets I've given warm fluids to objected a bit to the actual needle going in but none of them objected to the body-temp fluids going in.

I also tent the skin quite a bit and hold it up/tented (if they'll let me) for a short time after the fluids start flowing to help it spread under the skin better (this only works if you use two people though, otherwise you don't have an extra hand to hold the skin tented.)
No, no, it can be done with one person and two hands. I am by myself, and have always kept the skin lifted to keep the fluids dispersing.

It all just takes a little practice is all. After a couple months it all becomes routine. And once the cat makes the connection between feeling better and the fluids, that helps, too.

nekochan

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by otto

No, no, it can be done with one person and two hands. I am by myself, and have always kept the skin lifted to keep the fluids dispersing.
Ok. I've always had an extra person who holds the cat in their lap while I do the fluids, so I didn't think the tenting thing would work without someone else keeping hands on the cat to avoid bolting.

I know all about practice...I had a cat on fluids for 2 years, plus two dogs at different times, and I helped a friend give her cat fluids when her cat was diagnosed with CRF and she had trouble doing it on her own.

otto

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It's a handy skill to have. I, too, have stepped in and done fluids for cats other than my own.

Once,, a couple of years ago my mother, who lives two hours drive north of me, called me in a panic because she had some how forgotten to take her CRF kitty Erin (rb) to the vet that day for her fluids. (she won't do it at home)

I had just gotten home from hiking in the mountains, but I couldn't stand the idea of my mother worrying herself sick all night and all day Sunday, and, most likely taking Erin to the ER on Sunday and spending $400 just for Erin to have routine fluids. So I packed up some supplies and drove up there to do it.

Erin was blind then too, and had a Caretaker Cat, a big cushy calico named CeCe. My mother is squeamish and did not want to watch me administer the fluids to Erin, but CeCe would not let me do it without my mother there.

CeCe kept crowding up and pushing Erin off my lap. My mother finally came in and sat on the couch with Erin on HER lap. CeCe found this arrangement acceptable, and allowed me to give the fluids to Erin.

That was when I realized how lucky I was to have this skill. And I have my dear Bridge Angel Ootay to thank for it.

I've done it for my other cats, too when they were having ill times. Saved them a trip to the vet. Of course I am always in touch with my vet during times like that, but it is a comfort to know I have the supplies and skills to give fluids in an emergency.

I think it's good there are people like us who can do these things for our family and friends!

nekochan

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by otto

That was when I realized how lucky I was to have this skill. And I have my dear Bridge Angel Ootay to thank for it.

I've done it for my other cats, too when they were having ill times. Saved them a trip to the vet. Of course I am always in touch with my vet during times like that, but it is a comfort to know I have the supplies and skills to give fluids in an emergency.
Yes it is a very useful skill! I guess I have Sylvia to thank for that, she was my CRF kitty. I just realized I forgot one-- I also gave medicated sub-q fluids to my cat Sneakers when she was sick (anorectic) and it helped to keep her from getting dehydrated when she was refusing to eat. Thanks to Sylvia I already had the skills.
It is also very helpful to have the supplies around in case of emergency. I have asked my vet before if giving fluids would help when I had a sick pet. Those skills also work for giving any sub-q injections-- if you can do fluids you can do sub-q syringe injections. Since I knew how to do that I was able to administer stronger, injectable meds when my dog had cancer and give insulin shots when I was petsitting a diabetic dog.
I try to keep a venoset and bag of fluids in my pet first aid kit just in case. Actually I need to get a new bag for that...

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

tamgirl99

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Well, I finally got the restraint bag yesterday and unfortunately I don't think I'll be using it again. Even though I ordered the 15-20 lb. size and my cat is 13.5 lbs, it was an extremely tight fit. So much so that getting her in it was actually more stressful than the sub-q's!
I've figured out a decent way to give them and her not be too stressed (padding the kitchen sink and surrounding it with a temporary "wall" so she doesn't think she can get out) so I'll stick to that. Being able to stand while giving it helps me also. Anyways, thanks again for all of the great tips. You've all been extremely helpful during this extremely trying time!

mews2much

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Sorry the bag did not work out.
I never gave fluids to my first cat that had CRF because she would get very mean.
I too her to vet to have it done.
So when Coco got CRF I thought I would never be able to do it.
Coco even purrs when she gets the fluids.
I am lucky I have a cat that does not care about getting the fluids.