Help with stray kitty

cassisa

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I need some advise. I have a stray female kitty I have been feeding for almost a year now. At first I could not get near her - she would hiss and run. It took several months but then she let me pet her. Now I got her to come inside my home. I have two other female cats I rescued as kittens.
There is no issue between the cats so far. She only comes in during the day when no one else is home. She is very afraid of everyone - even me if I move to quickly around her.
Anyway - I am moving soon. I would like to have her fixed and take her with me as an outside cat, but I am afraid of taking her away from an area she is familiar with and putting her in a more populated area.
I dont know what to do. Should I just leave her but get her fixed, or attempt to take her with me?

Any advise will be most appreciated. Thank you.

PS - My husband is not a cat lover, just tolerates the two I have, so she will have to be an outside cat.

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Aw, I'm so sorry you can't bring her in.

Thank you for caring for this kitty.

Whether she stays there or goes with you, she really ought to be neutered. I'm guessing she already is if there haven't been kittens over the course of a year, but it's best to get her to a vet or a clinic.

It is hard for cats to transition to new territories - even our inside kitties. But it seems she's come to have some level of trust for you, and her home is where you are.
I think I'd take her with me. Poor thing was already abandoned at least once.

But there is a way to do it correctly, otherwise it's best to leave her where she is. Outside cats will almost always try to find their way home to the territory they know if you just let them out when you move. This means that in order to bring her with you and make the new territory her home, she must be contained - somewhere, somehow, for about a month. A really large dog crate somehow protected from rain will work. Something large enough for litter, a bed, and food and water to be far enough away from the bed and litter... Then you feed her on a schedule you'll be able to keep. That is really the key - and use especially yummy wet food. Whether it's once a day or twice a day (she can have kibble to free feed on if that's what you do for her)... whatever it is, especially yummy/smelly wet food given to her at the same time every day for a month, and she'll know to come back for her food when you do let her free.

Of course... if you have a guest bedroom in your new home, and you're able to convince hubby she needs to be contained there... she may end up moving in without his really noticing.

feralvr

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I want to thank you too for caring for this kitty. And it really sounds like she would fit in so well with your other two. Maybe your husband wouldn't even know she would be inside because she might hide anyway when he is home
. I totally second what LDG just said. You must confine the cat for at least a month at the new home so she will stick around when you release her. If the release is done too soon she will try to find her way back "home". I am hoping
your hubby let's you keep her. I never ask mine anymore, he has learned it is no use.
keep us updated