Help with socialization, 6 mth old stray

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

kittycurledup

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thanks Wendy! This site really is amazing. I haven't had much time to write over the last few days, but what I have been reading sounds so promising. People socialize ferals all the time with good results, toward both resident cats and humans! I don't think my boy is a true feral either, but he has had a tough life lately.

Thanks for all of your help!

Originally Posted by wendyr

Dumb luck - the best way to get cats in their carriers! My husband had rigged up an elaborate thing to get one of our boys in, but he was not interested. I went upstairs, threw a mouse toy in, and he went straight in.

I totally understand your pain, by the way. Like I said, I got bit by one of my boys last week at the vet, and when he got back, well, I was nervous about touching him again. I am a better now, so hopefully your nerves will pass. And yes, it is important for you to be calm. I remember something my parents always told me when I was young - animals can sense your nerves which makes them nervous which makes them prepare to attack. I was raised with lots and lots of animals, but they still reminded me occasionally.

I also understand your situation for other reasons - our kittens were just a month younger than yours when we took them in off the streets. Ours were technically semi-feral - born to a feral mother, but around people so much they weren't truly feral. This site has been a huge help to me in working with our kittens. Patience is the most important thing, but any questions you have, here you will find someone who can give you some ideas.

kittycurledup

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Yeah, I don't quite know how to walk that line yet either. I've been sticking with trying to get his attention verbally and snapping my fingers. Then I present a toy. This seems to always work so far.

Does the biting stop as he gets older? I am not really noticing a decrease in frequency overall since the neutering, but then again it's been less than a week.

I am just nervous for my other cat, when we do introduce the two. Getting bit doesn't bother me too much, but if he turned a bite of that force on my other cat, she'd really get hurt.

(I am definitely getting less nervous around him, since I am so used to the feel of the bite now.)

Originally Posted by jimmylegs

that biting thing sucks, i've had several cats who do it. i've always tried to handle by de-empasizing what i don't want them to bite (me!) and encourage good biting (toys). we have a 'Tribble' toy, basically a small stuffed animal we keep around. when the cat clamps down we try to distract him with the Tribble. since he's all excited he invariably transfers to the toy and goes to town on it.

i have found that any type of reactive discipline usually ends with the cat biting down on me even harder, so i try to keep about distraction, while trying not to teach the cat that biting me leads to playing, either. it's a fine line sometimes.

the neutering will probably help, and honestly time will help; he's a young cat, a year from now nature will mellow him out too! keep up the good work!

wendyr

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Does the biting stop as he gets older? I am not really noticing a decrease in frequency overall since the neutering, but then again it's been less than a week.
Glad that you are getting less nervous - I think that is really important. All animals are extremely sensitive towards our emotions, so they react to how we are reacting.

As for the biting thing - my husband said one of his old family cats was a bit of a biter when he was young, and then it decreased and stopped when he got older. This is purely anecdotal, so it obviously varies from cat to cat, but I think as long as you are working on training him, the bad behaviour has a good chance of being weeded out! As for the neutering - from what I understand (information from my vet tech!), it takes about a month for all the hormones to be worked out of their system. They essentially have a stockpile of testosterone that simply will not be replenished, and soon enough, they will have none left. I really noticed this with my girl kitten. Before we got her fixed, she was very suspicious of us and would hardly ever engage in any sort of play. Then bam! A month after getting her done (and with all the hormones gone), she is so playful and interacts with us constantly. She loves petting and she is much calmer and laid back than she was before we got her fixed. Obviously you never really know how your cat will be affected because all their personalities are different, but just remember it does take a bit of time.

kittycurledup

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Awwww, Laureen, how absolutely precious!!!!!!! They look so content -- very lucky that they found you!!!
I couldn't leave my newby out there either, especially since he was literally asking me to take him home. I picked him up with my bare hands that day and he didn't struggle at all.

Originally Posted by laureen227

i have 5
i had 4 until last june, & was perfectly happy with them. then i found a sickly little feral kitten in the back yard... & couldn't just leave her there to die. you can read her story here & see pix here, here, here, & here.
the idea was i was fostering her/nursing her back to health... but she's still here!

kittycurledup

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by wendy

And yes, it is important for you to be calm. I remember something my parents always told me when I was young - animals can sense your nerves which makes them nervous which makes them prepare to attack. I was raised with lots and lots of animals, but they still reminded me occasionally.
Last week I got down on the floor to see if he would sit on my lap, which he did. However, being too nervous for this manoeuver, my hands became all
sweaty. Probably sensing this, he hissed and bit my hand. So I won't try this again until I am more comfortable! I think it was definitely a case of him smelling and reacting to my fear.

My husband also grew up with cats and lots of animals -- one of his cats was a biter too, and didn't really outgrow it. :p

kittycurledup

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thanks to everyone for the wonderful advice regarding this ongoing situation!

Today something cute happened. I let Lucky into the living room, and allowed him to explore without interference. I just sat on the couch and dangled his fishing pole toy to exercise him occasionally. Eventually he plopped down on the floor to nap. Then he rolled over onto his back, with his belly exposed....and fell asleep that way!

I've heard that this is a sign of complete trust -- is there anything to that? Is this a big breakthrough?