Help with pregnant stray

skimble

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
For protecting the carpet from little kitten accidents I got a large cheap piece of linoleum floor covering. You can buy a pre cut roll at some of the dollar stores or a leftover piece from a home improvement center, or a flooring store. When you no longer need to protect the carpet it can be used in a storage room or the garage floor, etc. There are urine removing products that work great. I have four ferals and two kittens. A product I ordered called "urine-off" did a great job for me. No lingering smell of urine.

When we trap/neuter/release we sometimes get a pregnant female and have to spay/abort. It is hard to do emotionally, but after rescuing kittens that die from flea anemia and infections it's the right decision for the situation. Thankfully this girl has you and she and her kittens will not have to suffer.

There is also an inconspicous type of cat fence that will attach to your exsisting fence to keep them contained in your yard when/if you allow them to live outside. I have no experience other than looking at this kind of cat protection fencing. Best of luck to you and your momma kitty.

zoethor2

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by charmaniac

You are not kidding, she already figured out what the litter box was for which bodes very well for me letting her occupy the guest room after I get her rechecked for all the potential contagious diseases and parasites that could hurt my other cat. Things are looking very good for this cat to have her kittens and get spayed. If I cannot find an owner for her, she will become my cat and the other two will just have to deal.

If I cannot find an owner for her kittens, I will feed them and let them live outside, vaccinated, spayed and fixed, ect....

After this ordeal is over, I plan on doing the trap, spay, and release thing that I had originally intended upon before this sweet cat came into my life.
Hooray! I bet she is so happy that she came into your life!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

charmaniac

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hello again.

She is still in my garage. Luckily, it got cooler here in Houston. She does seem a bit freaked out and was cowering in the dirty corner next to her litter box when I came home (even though I laid out a nice fresh towel for her to lay on!!!!) but as soon as I said "here kitty" she came right over and started rubbing her face on my legs. She is friendlier than my calico, that is for sure! I have to put her in a carrier until my wife gets home so that she doesn't, you know, get run over.

She looks really pregnant now, and I cannot tell if its because she is about to have her babies or because she has been getting a steady supply of food. She seems much bigger (not just her belly) than the first time I saw her. I know she is just a kitten still, the vet said she weighed just 8 pounds last weekend with babies and she has a very high pitched meow like a kitten. She let me give the flea treatment to her with no problem, almost as if she didn't even realize I was doing anything. She still struggles a little bit with the antibiotics, but it is far easier to give them to her than my house cats.

The vet seemed to think she was not that far along, but she really does look quite plump now. I will post a picture later tonight and hopefully you guys can give me guesstimate as to how far along she is. I might take her back to the vet tomorrow, but this is starting to get expensive.

I am really hoping for a small litter. I don't want heartbreak and I am really really hoping that she is still negative for feline leukemia or hiv, because then I would have to euthanize her.

Also, this is kind of gross, but I noticed her stool seems to look like the crinkled paper you see after unwrapping a Christmas present. Do you think she has worms or is that normal for a pregnant cat?

Thanks guys, you have really helped out this cat more than you know with your advice.

deljo

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
My daughter has a feral cat she has been feeding for over 2 years. Its been impossible to trap her for TNR. Anyway she had a litter late last fall and moved the kittens into my daughters shed. When the kittens were about 7 wks. old my dght. was able to get them away from the mom. I know, a lot of people on this site thought that was cruel, but those kittens would have froze to death over the winter. The local shelter has paid their vet bills, including all vacinations and neutering/spaying. Just last week they were all adopted into good homes and because they were socialized with people and my daughter's other 2 cats they did not have a chance to become feral. They were put on Pet Finders and homes were found thru them. If you can I would encourage you to do whatever you can to help this pregnant cat. If you feed her she could have the babies somewhere else, but may bring them to your porch for feeding. Thats what this mom has done for two litters so far. My daughter always has dry food out for them. Unfortunately the mom is pregnant again. If only she could be trapped. She will sit near us in the summer outside but will not let you approach her or pet her. Poor kitty. ayou will nevere regret helping this cat.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

charmaniac

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Ok, here she is. She looks pretty pregnant to me.

wendyr

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I have no idea how pregnant she might be, but just wanted to say she looks like a lovely little thing! It is so great what you are doing for her!

cc12

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
What a sweetie.
Poor girl does look pretty pregnant.
She has a loving personality.
What a kind man you are.