help with pregnant momma cat/cat from previous litter

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

sarajenni88

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
He's not doing well. I've been literally forces a couple drops into his mouth with a syringe every hour or so. He often spits it right back out. I've tried different temps positions etc. Elsa is very stressed out and doesn't know way to do. She's been following me around. I'm not sure what else I can do

sarajenni88

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
The kitten will not stay with his mother and siblings when they are nursing he pushes him self in to the corner of the box away from the others

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
S sarajenni88

I think you need to take him completely away from his mom for now, and keep him with you. Take him to another room altogether, and do not let mom follow you.

He must stay warm against your body, or next to a hot water bottle wrapped in a towel, or on a heating pad set on low under a blanket.

He is not capable of regulating his own body temperature right now, and he cannot stay warm off in a corner alone.

Then, gently smear honey on his gums for a quick boost, then slowly drip the milk into his mouth.

Keep at it! Do not give up! If he spits it out, give him more whether he likes it or not. He will eventually accept the milk.

If you do not start getting 1 mL into him every hour he will die of starvation and dehydration.

Last edited:

sarajenni88

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I got this response this morning. I fed him last night around 12 then fell asleep. I'm a light sleeper and figured his cries would wake me up. Well they didn't. This morning I found him (could be her) sleeping with it's brother n sister. I went to warm up some milk n came back to watch him/her latch on n nurse from Elsa!!! My vet said the kitten has fading kitten syndrome but I know this is a great sign...I'm waiting to go to work until he nurses again. I'm guessing he nursed while I was sleeping or he would of woke me up or not made it. I'll keep u updated. Thank you for all the support. My daughter is more than willing to be the sergate mother if need be.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
This is tremendous news! I hope he continues nursing his mom and staying warm by sleeping with his/her litter mates.

Vets are often too quick to write off tiny kittens.

sarajenni88

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I have homes ready. I may up end keeping the struggling kitten if she/he makes it. Elsa and Marshall will stay with me[emoji]128525[/emoji]