Help With Possible Feral

edteach

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
We just moved to NW Arkansas. Its a retirement community and I see lots of cats. We have one indoor only cat and when we moved here the formar owner asked if we would adopt an outdoor cat they took in. We said yes. The problem is there is a male black cat that keeps coming in to take her food. It has an injured front paw. I feel sorry for it and don't know if I should live trap it and take him to a shelter or not. He runs off our out door adopted cat and I have to watch so he does not eat all her food.

shadowsrescue

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I would definitely try to help this kitty. With an injured paw it would make the cat an easy target. Just be sure the shelter is a no kill.

Thank you for wanting to help.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

edteach

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I am going to keep and eye on him. He is hit and miss for being around. I will see him for a couple days then nothing for a while. He is a beautiful cat and I can not tell if he is owned. He has not collar or tag but I took of Brindles collar off because she is an out door only. She showed up one morning with it half around her neck and under her arm. Could have cut off circulation. I cut it off and am not going to put it back on even a break away.

dahli6

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Put out a second dish of food. For my outdoors and ferals I put out enough food to occupy them all day long, not only a single meal twice a day. Outdoor cats often hunt too so the food doesn't have to be the best quality however this injured fella could use some help. Permitting him to eat will allow him to rest and heal. You should contact your local Paws or Humane Society to see what sort of spay and neuter clinic they have available or if they have a trap neuter release program.

edteach

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I am building a 12x24 inch raised cat house for brindle. I will contact the local shelters to see if they do spay and neuter programs.

dahli6

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I am building a 12x24 inch raised cat house for brindle. I will contact the local shelters to see if they do spay and neuter programs.
I would have looked it up myself for you but I have no specific area. Sometimes the government page for your city/county will provide information for any programs.

edteach

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Just finished my kitty condo. I have a heated pad coming from Amazon. Has 2 inch foam floor walls and roof. Took 30 bucks of damaged lumber lot from Lowes and a day and a half.
DSCN1432.JPG

Attachments

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You made that in a day and a half?! I'm impressed. Great job.

edteach

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I worked on it from 8am to about 3pm yesterday and from about 8 thirty to 11 today. I went to Lowes and they take lumber that is warped or damaged and put it in a stack strap it and cut it to about 1/3rd of what it would have cost. I bought a lot that had the cedar and 2x4s and 5/4 decking I wanted. I had the foam saved from some packaging I received. Brindle has already went inside so not a big leap to get her to go inside. I put a towel in it for now. She is a small cat about 6 pounds so she fits well. It will sit inside the screen porch so its not exactly outside. Maybe she will quit going under the porch. Its nasty under there. As a bonus there was a stringer and heavy steps in the lot so I put in the steps to my shed. All in for the cat house 30 bucks give or take.

shadowsrescue

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
That is awesome. Brindle is very lucky to have you! My ferals continue to go under my deck when they get afraid. Some days when the wind is really blowing and the awning over my deck is making noises, they prefer to go under the deck. Fortunately they usually don't stay too long as they know their heated beds are much warmer.