help with pea intolerance possibly?

catpack

TCS Veteran
Kitten
Purraise
So glad you had a good visit at the ER clinic and that you have some peace of mind! (Also, kudos to the vet at the ER clinic for her up and up on feline nutrition! That is a rare find indeed at these clinics!)

lisamarie12

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

Hi!  We just got back from the Emergency Vet.  They ran a fecal, gave fluids just to be safe, gave shot of Cerenia, and antibiotic.  He came home with RX Royal Canin for two weeks, they want to do another fecal to rule out parasites and he has a probiotic, metronidazole chewies, and de-wormer just to ensure there isn't a parasite.  Other than his tummy issues they said he was in great shape, no fever or anything.  I gave him his new rx food with some probiotic and he'll get his chewie shortly.  They said start the worming meds in the AM. 

All things considered I am SO glad I took him to this ER vet tonight..they were fantastic, and I'm a lot less worried now.  The vet said she wants to rule our parasites and general food issues before looking down the IBD path due to how young and otherwise healthy he is. 

Thank you all for your support and helpful advice!  She also said to stick to a wet food for the majority of their food once he's better (first 2 weeks rx food though).  She said I can still give some kibbles for day time snacking but to get away from the blue buffalo because it's just too much for most kitties.  Thanks again!  When he is better I'm going to look into Instinct for kibble but for now sticking to a good wet food will be ideal!
Very glad to that the ER vet was attentive and thorough. I realize how stressful it can be when you have a sick kitty, it may have been even more stressful waiting until the following week for your regular scheduled appointment.

I'm sure you'll get the results of the fecal tests soon, that will help shed some light on whether there is a parasite issue.

Please let us know how Ollie progresses, sending best wishes your way. :)

lisahe

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
So glad you had a good visit at the ER clinic and that you have some peace of mind! (Also, kudos to the vet at the ER clinic for her up and up on feline nutrition! That is a rare find indeed at these clinics!)
My thoughts exactly: it sounds like you saw a very good vet! Here's hoping Ollie perks up and is open to some new foods!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

xira

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi all!

I am excited to report (and really ready for no more litter box checks, ugh!) Ollie's stool is blood free and firming up already.  He also LOVES the RX food with probiotic in it and unfortunately his sister does too so feeding time has been "fun". So far so good minus how much he HATES the antibiotic chewy.  I smooshed it up into a syringe and added warm water, shook it til it was liquid and gave him it that way.  Seems to work MUCH better.  So far he seems to be MUCH more lively than the last few days as well, so that's good news!

Thank you all again for your support.  I'm going to look into a better wet food once all of this is said and done but for now we have 2 weeks of rx food which isn't so bad!

lisahe

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

Hi all!

I am excited to report (and really ready for no more litter box checks, ugh!) Ollie's stool is blood free and firming up already.  He also LOVES the RX food with probiotic in it and unfortunately his sister does too so feeding time has been "fun". So far so good minus how much he HATES the antibiotic chewy.  I smooshed it up into a syringe and added warm water, shook it til it was liquid and gave him it that way.  Seems to work MUCH better.  So far he seems to be MUCH more lively than the last few days as well, so that's good news!

Thank you all again for your support.  I'm going to look into a better wet food once all of this is said and done but for now we have 2 weeks of rx food which isn't so bad!
That's great to hear! It's really amazing how much the right food can do for a cat. Good luck with the search for some new foods!

lisamarie12

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Fantastic, that is wonderful news! :) Have you considered using Pill Pockets for the medication? There is a hypoallergenic PP, duck (available for dogs only but okay to use for cats, per my discussion with Nutro - who makes the PP, I think it was Nutro). Anyway, the hypoallergenic duck for cats was discontinued but ingredients are the same pretty much for dog. I have to give my Molly a capsule three times a week, I buy the large dog duck PP (for capsules) and I have had zero problem giving Molly her med! She loves it, even when I get the container of pills, she seems to know it's PP time.

If you decide to try this, here is a good strategy: Prepare your pill in the PP and set aside (don't use the same hand when handling the pill as the PP), set it aside; split another PP in half and throw half for Ollie to chase.  As Ollie begins to chew, throw the next PP with the med at him, only let him take a few bites and then throw the other half of the first you used. Mainly, you don't want him to bite too much into the PP with the pill and then spit it out. If he takes a couple of bites, he'll swallow the rest and move on to the last PP.

Anyway, I know metronidozole is very nasty tasting so it's a challenge for you but you may want to give the PP a try.

Regardless, this is all good news from you. :)

Last edited:
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

xira

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Just for fun, here is Ollie!

lisahe

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm glad to hear Ollie's doing better. (But not glad to hear about the curtain aspect of it...) I like the picture: it's so funny when cats stick out their tongues!

Having taken part of a course of metronidozole (Flagyl) I can confirm that it tastes absolutely awful (a very lingering metallic bitterness), at least to this human. I can understand why Ollie wouldn't eat the chews!

lisamarie12

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh! They are too cute! And that little tongue - if you hadn't mentioned the photo was from several months ago, I would have thought it was the aftertaste of the metro .... Very glad to hear Ollie's health seems to be stabilizing, great news!! :)