Help with new kitten?

leto86

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm back again!

Last night my friend brought me a kitten she took home from a barn(she took it home for herself but then her roommates wouldn't let her keep it). She said they had a litterbox and stuff in the barn with him and stuff so I didn't think much of it. He has been to the vet, has had revolution, and has a deworming pill I'm supposed to give him in two weeks. He had earmites as well that the revolution apparently kills.

He was pretty good last night with my dogs and cats... and then I had to go to work this morning. So I put him in my bedroom with food and water and a litterbox. I just came home at a half hour ago and found that he'd pooped and peed all over my bed. Pretty upset about that! They were claiming their were litter trained but now I think that he's not at all. He only ever just plays in the litter box.

I'm not sure what to do now as he's around 11 weeks old already and has probably never used a litter box. I can't put him in the bathroom as there's no heat in there. Should I set him up in a dog crate and try that?

melalpha

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
You can do a dog crate when there's no supervision, but make sure the kitten gets out to stretch his legs.

I made a cardboard fort in my room out of cardboard and duct tape for 3 stray kittens I found starving in an alley, and had to quarantine them from my other cats. They loved the cardboard! It's easy for them to climb up and down. They also lovevplaying peekaboo games through the holes.

Also, it may be the litter he does not like. Try another kind, and shoot for unscented.

Last edited:
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

leto86

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Perhaps false alarm. he's peed in the box 3 times and pooped once. I have no idea what his problem was then.. maybe just stress of leaving his home and going to another home and then going to another home in the span of 24 hours. I'll give him the benefit of the doubt and leave him out tomorrow again when I'm at work and see.

thanks

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Was he with other kittens still in the barn?  Maybe he was lonely or something along those lines?  I know at that age I kenneled Mooch and Noodles with a small litter box and the necessities while we were not home or sleeping.  

three cat night

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Maybe he was afraid to Jump down from the bed? Sounds like he is getting it now,? I had to keep my kittens in a closet and had little aluminum trays filled with litter and also I physically set them in the litter and held their front paws in a digging motion and it worked. Never had a problem since.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

leto86

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I've had hundreds of kittens over the years, used to foster for a rescue.. and my kittens always got it right away that the box was for the bathroom.

but yeah I think he's gotten it now. I left him out again today and he used the box at least twice.

I don't think he was scared to jump off, as he had jumped off and climbed back up a few times. Probably just stress I'm thinking. But he seems fine now.