Help with my momma cat

motherofeight

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My cat Phoebe had kittens about 8 weeks ago. This is the first litter she's ever had and the first I've had. I am keeping four of the kittens and I'm just wondering how to completely wean them. They have been eating food for awhile now and really don't need to nurse anymore, but they do nurse about two or three times a day. I'd like her to stop lactating because I can see that she is sore because of their little teeth. Do I need to seperate her from the kittens for a bit and if so how long? I know that is a lot of questions but I want to do the right thing for my cat. She is a very special kitty.

Tanya

beckiboo

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You can start separating them from her for periods of time, so she will dry up quicker. They still need her to teach them, so I wouldn't totally separate, but make sure they have eaten before they see her. Then try to engage them all in some play so they will be less inclined to nurse when they see her.

Be sure to get her spayed as soon as she dries up. And keep her totally inside until she is spayed...whether she is in heat or not, she can get pregnant!

Be sure whoever you adopt your kittens to spays and neuters, too. It will help the kittens lead healthier lives, and of course prevent more kittens!

Asteria

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hmmm. . .I wish I knew more about litters of kittens, but from experience of having one litter, the kittens were still nursing on the mother cat and finally made her raw from it, so she got fed up and ran away from them, and became feral. I know that sounds very extreme but they were so persistent that they just drove her out of the house. Anyway, long story short, it is important not to let kittens that old nurse anymore, at least not as much, because it is exhausting for the mother. But that's not to say they don't need her anymore, so just reduce the time she has to spend with them and try to see of they will play together or with the mama. Hope I helped, even a little bit.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

motherofeight

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thanks for the tips. She doesn't let them nurse for very long at a time, and because there are so many cats at my house they are always trying to play with someone. All my cats are indoor only cats. Phoebe got out once in her life and got pregnant. I am planning on keeping all but one of the kittens because my mom wants to have one. They will all be spayed or neutered. The other two adults in the house, one male and one female are already fixed, and everyone else will be shortly. I guess I'll have to try and seperate them for part of the day. It's difficult because the kittens can fit under the doors in my house so there's no place they can't go. I'm sure that Phoebe will appreciate a break though.
Thanks again.

Tanya

beckiboo

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Put a towel or a piece of two by four lumber under one door to block out the kittens. Or I use a raffia rug. It is from k-mart, less than $10. Has brown coir on black rubber...made to be at door mat for outside the door. But kitties love to sharpen their claws on it. I place it under the door to my kitty room, because when Festie was a baby she would escape and prance around the house. (Yes, she has been a stinker from the beginning!) Now it prevents my other foster litters from escaping, or from the Momcat having too much contact with my kitties.

Although currently the door is open, and the only foster Mom cat is in the process of becoming a house cat...

momof3rugratz

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Trust me use the towel because in 2 weeks they wont fit under the door.. They will become more independent if mom isn't nursing... They will eat more of there kitten food and mom will get a chance to dry up.

tnr1

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by Mollysmom

Hmmm. . .I wish I knew more about litters of kittens, but from experience of having one litter, the kittens were still nursing on the mother cat and finally made her raw from it, so she got fed up and ran away from them, and became feral. I know that sounds very extreme but they were so persistent that they just drove her out of the house. Anyway, long story short, it is important not to let kittens that old nurse anymore, at least not as much, because it is exhausting for the mother. But that's not to say they don't need her anymore, so just reduce the time she has to spend with them and try to see of they will play together or with the mama. Hope I helped, even a little bit.
Mollysmom....did you have mom fixed?? I hope so.

Katie

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

motherofeight

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I have not gotten mom spayed yet, but she is going to be spayed. I have started seperating her from them for a little while each day which is going well. I had to put one of my black 5 month old kittens in there with her cause she hates being alone. Last night she cried and cried, so I put Gigi(the older kitten) in there with her and it stopped. Phoebe's never been an only cat and it seems she has no desire to be one.
I did have to put a blanket down to block under the door because Dixie, the runt of the litter decided she'd really like to get in there with mom, but after several failed attempts to move the blanket, she resigned herself to sleeping with her brothers and sister instead.

Tanya

semiferal

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
This is the sort of thing that you can let them work out among themselves. When Phoebe gets tired of nursing she will let the kittens know in no uncertain terms! Mamas and babies know how to wean themselves and there really isn't anything a human can do that will be of much help to either one. There are plenty of things that they need your help for but this is one thing that they should be left alone to figure out.