help with moving

zephyer78

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi all, it's been a long time since I posted, my computer caught a virus
and I went back to school fulltime.

So anyway long story short, I will be moving my kitty from IL to TX in a couple months. She'a going from a house with 2 kids and 2 dogs to a house with one kid and no dogs, I'm worried how she will react to it. I'm moving back in with my parents, so getting another cat to help her with the lonlienss is not really an option (barley got them to let me bring her!)..so any ideas would help.

Also, I'm driving. It will be a 2 day drive, I got her a carrier and she is harness trained, but any ideas to make that go smoothly would be appriciated also..Thanks!

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'd wait for a few months till everyone adjusts to the changes before you consider adopting another pet to keep her company. Many females tend to take longer to accept a new pet in the house, so keep that in mind.

Ling took over 6 months to accept Charlie in the house. She took about a month to accept Jack (Charlie was 4 months old, Jack was 5 months old).

stephanietx

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I would invest in one of those collapsible cages to keep her in overnight at a hotel. (I'm guessing you'll be overnighting in a hotel.) If you have space in your car, you could even set her up in that while driving and drape half of it with a sheet or towel. Get her a small stuffed toy to keep her company until things settle down. Be sure to bring some towels and/or bedding that smells like the dogs to also comfort her.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

zephyer78

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thanks..thats a great idea about the old bedding that smells like the dogs!!! I did get her one of those soft carriers (figures that would be more comfortable than the plastic ones)..and I will be stopping overnight in a hotel, but plan to let her out at rest stops too... I think..kind of nervous about this, she is harness trained, she has a coller w/my phone# and is micro-chipped, but still really nervous about it....but I would feel reallly bad keeping her in the carrier for the whole drive 10 hrs the 1st day and 9 the second..hoping all will go well

stephanietx

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I wouldn't let her out at rest stops unless it's while you're sitting with the doors closed. It's just too dangerous and since it's an unfamiliar area, too scary for me. We travel frequently with our cats and we don't leave them in the car unattended.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

zephyer78

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
yea, thinking more and more on this

Although I do feel bad about keeping her mostly in the carrier for the drive, I would feel worse if I let her out and something happened, I guess she will have to be uncomfortable for a couple days...better than letting her out and having her bolt or something.

Plus, I am stopping at a hotel, so she will be able to be out for a bit there..