Help with litter being everywhere

ingrids mom

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi,

We have one cat and she is doing great with her litter box. She has a large open topped box. My problem/question how can I keep so much litter from getting everywhere? I want to stay with her box instead of getting a different one. I'd like suggestions for help around her box and I also need a new vaccuum and I was hoping for suggestions. We need to keep it under $200.00 if possible. Thanks so much.

Regi

my-boy-jasper

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Isn't it frustrating when that litter goes flying every which way! I cut one end out of a cardboard box and put it over the tray. It didn't solve the problem completely but it minimised the area that I had to vacuum. Another possibility could be to put the tray inside the box, so the tray has walls around it but no lid if that makes sense. I have a hooded box (no door) now which has solved the problem completely. Plus the litter I now use is wooden pellets and I think that is just too heavy to fling outside the box.

ninab

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi Regi - My Jazz, the smallest of my feline trio, doesn't use her litterbox so much as celebrates every visit.  Ears back, she studiously digs digs digs, flinging litter and...uh...debris everywhere!  We ended up with 2 very large covered litterboxes (I removed the swinging doors).  All three cats used them without hesitation on Day 1.  We also switched to "dust-free" litter to manage the "cloud" she would create.  While the cloud is less, it's still not gone so I'm not sure if we'll stay with this brand.  I don't like the idea of her being in the box with all that dust, but it's great with odor.  I think the boxes were $30-40 each and worth it.

NinaB

chandra09

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
A great litter mat that I use is this:
It does "grab" the litter really well. So, you will still have litter flying, but most of it should stay on the mat.

I know you said that you have an open top box and that you don't want to change it, but I want to also suggest this litter box:

It's a great price and a great box. The clear door flap really helps to keep the litter in. (But if your cat will not use it with the door, the door is removable).

GoldyCat

Staff Member
Purraise
You say you have a large open-top litter box. How tall is it? I use the large sterilite totes that are about 13" high. That helps a lot with the litter flinging.

Also, what kind of litter are you using? The kind with round grains or beads tends to fly & roll a lot further than something with heavier irregularly shaped pieces.

deusxhaze

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I too suffer with this issue my kitty goes flying out the box like shes batman lol. gonna try to see if a box with taller sidea helps.

natalie_ca

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have a large open top box too. It's about 4" deep, maybe 5".  They still scoop the litter out of the box.

What I do is have 2 puppy pads (overlapping), under the box.  This way if they overshoot the box and pee over the edge, the pee doesn't get on the floor. I just change the pads every so often. If there is litter on the pads, I just pour it back into the box.

I would love to get a covered box, but I don't think my cats would use it.  The covered boxes tend to keep the smell inside, and I don't think they would want to go into a place where the smell of the box was so concentrated.