Help with Kitten Genders

cailinp

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hey, I have four kittens around four weeks old and I am having trouble determining their genders. Can anyone help? Thanks

Anne

Site Owner
Staff Member
Admin
Purraise
It can be very very difficult to sex kittens at this age. Even veterinarians can get it wrong. I once had a kitten that was sexed as a male until she was four months old, at which point the vet agreed a spay was probably in order as she had no testicles 

Are all four gray tabbies? If one of them has any red as well it's almost certainly a female. Without this, my bet here would be on three females and a male in this case, but it really is only a guess.

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
Three girls and one boy would be my guess. I think the kitten in the top right photo is the boy.

Can we see some pictures of their faces too? Not for identifying gender, just for cuteness.

gracethecat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Woops. Sorry for the wrong information! [emoji]128514[/emoji]

moayad albluwe

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
As i see, three of them are females (and I'm pretty sure about them), the one on the top right seems to be a male, but still not sure about him.

indie-n-button

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I think it's two girls and two boys too.

Generally girls 'bits' look like upside down exclamation marks (!) whereas boys bits look like a semi-colon (:)

They seem very cute and chubby by the way! Have they got any names? :-)

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

cailinp

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
It can be very very difficult to sex kittens at this age. Even veterinarians can get it wrong. I once had a kitten that was sexed as a male until she was four months old, at which point the vet agreed a spay was probably in order as she had no testicles :D

Are all four gray tabbies? If one of them has any red as well it's almost certainly a female. Without this, my bet here would be on three females and a male in this case, but it really is only a guess.
Thank you for your help. They are more brown in colour and one more reddish.

cailinp

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Three girls and one boy would be my guess. I think the kitten in the top right photo is the boy.

Can we see some pictures of their faces too? Not for identifying gender, just for cuteness.

:catguy:
Here's all four but I have no clue who is who[emoji]128516[/emoji]

cailinp

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I think it's two girls and two boys too.

Generally girls 'bits' look like upside down exclamation marks (!) whereas boys bits look like a semi-colon (:)

They seem very cute and chubby by the way! Have they got any names? :-)
No names yet. We will be finding homes for them so we were going to leave it up to their owners. If there are two girls then we have already found a home for them, so fingers crossed[emoji]128516[/emoji]

kcid629

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Three girls and one boy, the top right one is the male. The distance between the anus and the opening of their vulva is much shorter in females than the anus and penis in males.

itzorange

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
CailinP; in my opinion you should go volernteer at your local shelter to be a photographer for them. Ib don't know if your shelter is run like ours, here in San Diego, where pictures are posted on the website of found and adoptable pets, but if they do, I'm sure they could use you, or whoever you these pictures.
It can be a very daunting task to photograph animals at times. Often the pictures posted are just bad. It's hard for a person to tell from a picture that was taken while their cat was in distress if it's their pet in that picture. These are four great pictures, even the rear end shots are clear.
Just something to consider. They are all beautiful.
I have to say from the rear doors that the top fight one is a boy. From the face shots, not that it's a science, but, it looks like the bottom right is the boy.
Hope all is well with the beauties and they live happily ever after.

cailinp

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you, I do take picture at a rescue near me (dogtales rescue and sanctuary) but they mostly use a professional photographers photos.

camillel

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
OMG they are so beautiful But I have to agree I think you have two boys and two girls.

biancavd

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
The two on the left are girls, I have no doubt. The top right is a boy, no doubt. I think the bottom right is a boy too, but because of the lighting I can't see what's inbetween properly. If you can retake a picture of the last one to be sure, that'd be great.