Help with identification

nacho

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi

This is little Mojo.

We have had him for 2 days now, he is 15 weeks old.

He is a very nervous little fella and has already managed to find the most interesting hiding places!

He has very distinct markings and 4 white feet.

Can anyone help with the breed?

View media item 231766

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
This pattern,  point bicolor  is quite common among ragdolls.   Point = this masque including darker ears and tail. And blue or bluish eyes.  Bicolor = two colors, here the second color is white, giving also these white socks.     Ragdolls are rather longhaired.

This  pattern  were also renown with  Snowshoe  (these white socks!).    Which breeding programme was essentially based on old type siamese.  Who are shorthaired.   But that programme collapsed, and real Snowshoes are rare, or perhaps even doesnt exist not more.

Yet, we do see now and than  here on this forum cats with this striking pattern.   So without any good proofs of their heritage, its just to say, they do belong to the vast majority of all cats, the "domestic", whom doesnt belong to any especial breed, but do contain all possible genes and combinations in their vast gene pool.

And the specialized breeders do use some of the for them more interesting indivuduals and use them in their breeding programmes.  Either for ideas, or even - use their genes.  Making a new pattern or even breed is  a work which always takes at least several generations till they are purebreed.   But the foundation comes  from the big gene pool of  domestics.

I think yours is shorthaired (I dont see the tail, which is revelaing in unsure cases.).  But the muzzle seems rather flattish, nowhere the siamese muzzle.

My guess as now yours is a domestic,  with this striking and rather unusual pattern.

Good luck!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

nacho

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thanks for that.
The person I bought him off said he was a pure breed Birman but I was not totally convinced.
He was so cute with his super hero mask I had to get him.

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Thanks for that.
The person I bought him off said he was a pure breed Birman but I was not totally convinced.
He was so cute with his super hero mask I had to get him.
Did you got the usual papers from a reputable association??   Or are there other proof on that persons creditibility?

Of course, not typical kittens make seldom a breeder happy, making "pet quality" of them. And thus, non typical kittens are usually sold off cheaper, and sometimes even without papers.   But without solid proofs[such a] kitten is a domestic...

Such a bicolor is not common in birmans,  although I suppose they can happen.   Also, birmans are longhaired, even more longhaired than ragdolls.

As said above, I dont see the tail.

Last edited:

nacho

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Will try and get a better picture in the morning. The tail is chocolate/dark brown.

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Will try and get a better picture in the morning. The tail is chocolate/dark brown.
I wonder if the tail is furry?  long hairs on it?      The tail is dark, I know - he is a point.    :)

What is your opinion, on the pic the kitten seems shorthaired, but you perhaps see he has a long fur, but well combed at this moment??

nacho

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
This might help, you can see his tail a bit better. It is quite fluffy and very dark. His eyes seem very pale blue. His coat is short and feels very dense in texture it has gold flecks in the sun.

He is so nervous i'm currently leaving him to come out on his own. He has his own room with everything he needs and the door is open in case he picks up the courage to join us. I keep visiting and talking to him.

I'm sure I'll get an even better pic soon.

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
I see now the tail is fluffy.  So although he seems shorthaired, he has genes for being longhaired.   See him as a look alike to the Ragdoll bicolor.

Another expression may be mittled - which means Point with white.   He is also even more sweet on this pic.   :)

How and why he would be a birman I dont know.  This color is not unusual with ragdolls, but isnt not used with birmans, who are also more longhaired than ragdolls = clearly longhaired.

I understand you want to talk about his shyness.  Best you have this question at for example, our  Pregnant & kitten forum  (where I among others will try and answer this).