Help with hair balls!

silasopie88

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello! I am seeking an "all-natural" remedy/supplement/treat for hair balls. So far I have tried the Pet Naturals of Vermont treats but my cat will not eat them (and I suspect won't eat any hair ball type treat though he really is not a picky eater at all) I think next I want to try the Richard's Organics hair ball gel, has anyone used this??

Margret

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Jasmine has always had a problem in this area, until recently. I think the improvement has been caused by a change in her kibble. She gets all the Blue Buffalo kibble she wants, as well as canned food twice a day, but for the last month or so the Blue Buffalo kibble has been "Blue Buffalo Adult Indoor Hairball Control with LifeSource Bits."

Caveat: I don't know for sure that there have been no fur balls, just that I haven't been finding them recently, plus which she seems to need less brushing. If this continues throughout the second bag (which I just opened this evening), I'll be writing a glowing review.

Margret

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

silasopie88

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you for the input! :) I personally am not really a fan of Blue Buffalo foods both from personal experiences and just their overall seemingly untrustworthiness but I'm glad you found something that worked for you :)

LotsOfFur

What greater gift than the love of a cat.
Top Cat
Purraise
Search Egg Lecithin for Hair balls under the cat health forum. There is a lot of good threads discussing this and other remedies for hair balls. Hope this helps :)

momofmaxwell

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Hi.I  agree with Lots of Fur.Lecithin.Also coconut oil but ONLY if your cat will lick it up .NO SYRINGING OF ANY OILS INTO ANY MOUTHS EVER***** C.O. you look for like Nature's Way for example.Cold pressed,organic,virgin with 62% MCT.Trader joes makes one as well.This website of a friend talks about lecithin being used as well.www.felineconstipation.org  I believe you may be able to go into a search engine there looking for hairballs or lecithin.I do have her book so if you can't find dosing and you should always run this by your veterinarian btw.I can find it in her book if you need me too_Ok?How are your kitties bowel movements? Hair ,we all want it to be puked up rather than going the wrong way through the GI system & out the stool.The small intestine of a cat is approx 2 1/2 times the length of your kitty not including the tail.So very long skinny tube.It can cause havoc in the gut.Me  myself with my Boy opening many of his stools had some stools that were all hair.I used from petsmart Sentry Hairball treatment  blue & white label.Has coconut oil in & lecithin & other ingredients.It is like white cream, not sticky like laxatone.But i don't believe this is an all natural product.I used to have to rub it right into Maxwell's leg or I would find it later on my ceiling.LOL.Check out the links Lots of Fur recommended as there are things out there.Hugs to the babe.C

****Please Note*** I am NOT a Vet*** Please consult anything I have suggested to your vet prior to purchasing anything*******

Last edited:

jade14

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I also have heard coconut oils is good.  I give some to Sawyer every night on my finger.  He LOVES it.  If he sees me get the container he jumps up on his hind legs meowing, and I scoop a bit out and he gets so excited he bites it off my finger haha.  

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

silasopie88

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I actually have thought of using coconut oil too.... Do you put it in the cat's food or on their paw to lick it off? (I remember when I was little we used to *cringe* put Vaseline on the cats' paws to lick off to help with hair balls) I've actually read it's beneficial for digestion and skin/coat for cats dogs humans alike! :)

jade14

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Yes it is great for skin and coat!  I used to give a spoonful to my German Shepherd on his food every night as well.  

I just give it to Sawyer on my finger.  But he loves it and thinks it's a treat.  You could just add a bit to wet food or something as well.  It melts very quickly so it might melt on their paw if you put it on that way.  Start with a tiny bit and then you can add a bit more.  I probably give mine about a teaspoon.