HELP with fleas!

angelgenius27

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Ive been treating my kitty with advantage II for cats for the past 4 months and I bombed the house twice with foggers that seemed to solve the problem but now they are back and in full force i dont think they're biting the kitty at all they have taken a likeness on my youngest son he has bites all over, now I'm getting desperate and really dont know what to do. Does anyone have any tips or tricks on how to get rid of these pesky fleas. Thank you in advance!

orientalslave

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Are you sure it's flea bits on your son?  Humans often get them round the ankles, rather than all over, as they jump on for a quick feed and drop off again.

I've never come across the 'foggers' and suspect some are better than others.

This is a UK page but it might help:

http://www.fabcats.org/owners/fleas/index.php

BTW cats with fleas often have worms as well...

Last edited:
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

angelgenius27

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
we got him dewormed and i often check him for fleas they're not going on him i caught a few on my son that's why i know they're fleas. Thank You for the link!

izzybees

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I've also been having a flea problem and know that they don't always stick to the ankles of humans.

I remember a couple times my daughter had approached me, scratching her head, and to my horror finding her poor little scalp literally infested.

My boyfriend is getting ready to bomb the place which means the cats will be staying with us at his mom's. The only problem we're having is one of our cats HATES his mother's cat. It was so bad last night she was turning on everyone including myself and our other cat.

It looks like she'll have to stay in my daughter's room.

orientalslave

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If you are finding fleas on your son then you have a major flea problem in the house.  Sounds like whatever foggers you used were ineffective, possibly because they didn't get to all the eggs, larvae and pupae that will be in the house.  The FAB page suggests that foggers aren't as good at getting into all the nooks and crannies as sprays:

Foggers and bombs
Various products are available for treating the environment. These products are not usually very effective as specific areas of infestation may not be reached. Spray products which allow areas to be targeted specifically are preferable.
http://www.fabcats.org/owners/fleas/info.html

Suggest you look into treatments for the house that interfer with flea development. 
Staykil (Novartis) spray contains cyromazine, for use directly in the home environment. Cyromazine prevents flea larvae developing into adults.

Juvenile hormone analogues such as methoprene act by preventing flea larvae developing into adults. Methoprene is the active constituent in products like Acclaim 2000 (Sanofi), Norshield (Norbrook), RIP Fleas (Genitrix), Canovel (Pfizer). Pyriproxifen has a similar mechanism of action and is found in products like Indorex (Virbac).
Brand names may be different in the US but check what the active ingredients are.  The whole house needs treating, and you need to be washing everything that might contain eggs etc. hot - 50C or - that you can.

Last edited:
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

angelgenius27

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
thank you for your help i purchased some insect growth regular as soon as it gets here i will be washing EVERYTHING hopefully problem solved