Help with Feline Asthma medications

Kobe’s Mom

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi there,
My cat has asthma. The vet prescribed an inhaler which costs $278 for one time and he will need it often. I can’t afford this. Does anyone have a solution!?

Twylasmom

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Hi there,
My cat has asthma. The vet prescribed an inhaler which costs $278 for one time and he will need it often. I can’t afford this. Does anyone have a solution!?
Ask your vet if they will write you a prescription for an online pharmacy. I use Pharmstore.com and can get a 3 month supply for around $60. You will need to talk to them to set up an account and it takes a while to get the medication as it ships from overseas, but the savings are worth it.

lisahe

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Ask your vet if they will write you a prescription for an online pharmacy. I use Pharmstore.com and can get a 3 month supply for around $60. You will need to talk to them to set up an account and it takes a while to get the medication as it ships from overseas, but the savings are worth it.
Yes to this. This is what most of us do.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Kobe’s Mom

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Yes to this. This is what most of us do.
The medicine is called FLOVENT. Has anyone had experience with this being super expensive? If so, is there a generic? Idk why this is so expensive!

Twylasmom

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
The medicine is called FLOVENT. Has anyone had experience with this being super expensive? If so, is there a generic? Idk why this is so expensive!
That’s a fairly common price, it’s just as expensive for humans. You can get a Goodrx card or something similar but it won’t take off much. If you get it from the Canada based pharmacy I recommended above the brand name is Flixotide. The $60 is for 3 cartridges containing 120 puffs each. I haven’t had to order in the past few months so the price may be different, but will still be way cheaper.

lisahe

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
That’s a fairly common price, it’s just as expensive for humans. You can get a Goodrx card or something similar but it won’t take off much. If you get it from the Canada based pharmacy I recommended above the brand name is Flixotide. The $60 is for 3 cartridges containing 120 puffs each. I haven’t had to order in the past few months so the price may be different, but will still be way cheaper.
I second all of this!

Kobe’s Mom Kobe’s Mom , did your vet already give you a prescription for Flovent/Flixotide? Even if you don't already have it, I'm sure that if you call PharmStore they can tell you what you (and your vet) will need to do.

Also, did your vet already tell you about the AeroKat chamber that you'll need to give your cat the puffs from the inhaler? Here it is:

Unfortunately, it's expensive in the U.S. because of how our medical system works. One thing that's cheap here, though, is the Albuterol inhaler, the so-called "rescue" inhaler, which is used when a cat is having an attack. If your cat has regular attacks, it's good to have one on hand, even after getting started on the (preventive) Flixotide/Flovent inhaler. If your cat has fairly mild asthma it's still good to have Albuterol on hand, if only for peace of mind. (Someone here told me that when Ireland was diagnosed and I completely agree. I've used it a couple times even though the coughing was very minor... it's good to know it does help and that I can handle Ireland if she's coughing.)

I hope you're able to order your cat's AeroKat and Flovent soon so you can get him started!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Kobe’s Mom

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
HI again, so I went to Pharmastore, and they want my banking info for a bank check which I am not wanting to do. wonder why they don't take credit cards. hmmm..... advice? Seems to be the only place to get it for the price.

lisahe

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

HI again, so I went to Pharmastore, and they want my banking info for a bank check which I am not wanting to do. wonder why they don't take credit cards. hmmm..... advice? Seems to be the only place to get it for the price.
There are limitations on the use of credit cards (as well as services like PayPal) to pay online pharmacies. You can send a check through the mail to PharmStore, though. It's worth calling them to ask what options they currently offer. (I did a lot of reading about this a few years ago, when Ireland was diagnosed... the American pharmaceutical industry is very powerful.)

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
I am not encouraging you to do anything that you are uncomfortable with, but several years ago I got medication for my dog from a pharmacy in Canada and did not have any problem.

cookiebun

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise

The Flovent we give our cats is the exact same medicine humans take for asthma. My former boss used it for many years. He frequently complained about the cost. Current price for a single GENERIC inhaler in my area without insurance is $292.19. Cheapest price with good RX is $110. Again, that's the generic price. I have had my Good Rx coupons refused when I tried to pick up my meds and have left empty handed. This is why most of the developed world negotiates/regulates prices with drug companies. The US does not. Even our generics are expensive

I ordered my cat's inhalers from a "Canadian" pharmacy that actually turned out to be in New Zealand. They would only sell me 2 inhalers at a time for $43 each. It took about 3 weeks for them to arrive.

Once you have the inhalers you are going to have the problem of getting it into the cat. So far I'm not having a lot of luck.

Quote:

There are other places beside Phamastore. The place I used had Sezzle which allowed me to use a credit card. I would not give my checking information out either. If they won't take Sezzle or a CC, walk away. I used canadapharmacy.com. Service wise i'd give them a C and am looking for another pharmacy.

Last edited: