help with cat who has been abused

valanhb

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Ophelia is definitely much more affectionate toward me since she turned that corner.

That is so cute how Piper tests the water.
She sounds like such a doll!

It's funny you mention the other cats. Trent definitely chose me as his person, but that didn't happen until he was about 5 months old. Up until then Ophelia was more trusting and attentive to me. After Trent made that choice, she became more of Daddy's girl. I do think it had a lot to with Trent always wanting to be with me and there wasn't competition with Daddy.

Ophelia's fav toy is the same material as one of those elastic ponytail holders, only a lot bigger. Obviously it's an Under Supervision toy, but she doesn't really play that much unless it's interactive. Most of the toys she really likes are string - shoe strings (like Piper!), her trash bag holder, we used to have a piece of crafting cord still on the spool that she liked to play with (also only under supervision).

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Oh, Anita, I'm sooooo happy to hear all of this about Piper! And boy - she IS beautiful!!!!!

Our kids love all string and string-like things. Doesn't matter what material it is made of, although elastic is their favorite - all of them. I think the way it bounces away from them when you give it a yank after they've been holding on to it is what gets them going....

But Shelly's favorite end on a string is a bit of wide-ish tinsel-like stuff and a bell. Lazlo's favorite end on a string is feathers. Spooky's vaorite end on a string is a mouse that rattles a little bit inside. And Tuxedo just loves everything. We caught him playing with a quarter we'd dropped today! ...When their string toys break, we just tie the stuff back on there, or grab another toy and tie it on the end, LOL!

...and about Piper's affection for hubby, I'm going with Heidi on this one. Not only does she see the other cats around you, you smell like them, too. There's less competition for her with hubby, and I'm willing to bet that's what it boils down to.

I'm so glad you've kept us posted!!! We'd love to see more pics if you can...

sandi

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Anita! Sounds like you've had quite a bit of good news since I've last visited this post! That's wonderful news!!! Hurray!!! I agree with the other gals - Lucky also loved her Daddy the best and lately, guess who's getting all the lovin'...ME! I know just how you felt, Heidi, smiling for 3 days...I still have the warm, gushy feelings! Anyhow...keep up the fantastic progress and I would love to see more pictures as well. All these kitties are so adorable!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

cookie

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Here are recent pictures, of Piper (sometime it is kinda hard to get good pictures of her because she will stop what she is doing by the time we get the camera!)

this one is her on the tree we built for the cats. We made it since we got Leo, but Piper never went on it until after we got Roxy!
(I will be posted a thread of pics of her soon too)

cookie

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
and her in her new favorite spot, under the chairs, makes it easier to snatch food from our laps!

cookie

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise

under the chairs is also where she played with me the last time, and it happened once again, not for as long but she got "possessed by her inner kitten" once more!

valanhb

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Piper is GORGEOUS!!! What a precious little face peerin out from the dining room chairs. That's so funny because that is one of Ophelia's favorite hang outs, too.

I'm glad she's getting in contact with her Inner Kitten more.

cookie

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
That is funny! Piper and Ophelia do have a lot in common!

Piper has been glued to those chairs the past couple of weeks, she is also doing funny things there, grooming, perdatory playing, rolling, all while she thinks we can't see her! It'so funny...

hissy

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I haven't checked this thread in awhile, I have been busy. I would caution you that if you do give Piper meat, make sure there is NO garlic on it either. Garlic in the raw form can be toxic to cats. Yes pet food manufacturers put it in food, but not the raw type, a special type of garlic.

It sounds like she is relaxing and it is common for a feral cat to find her kittenhood again once she relaxes. In the wild, Momcat does not allow the kittens to play (to dangerous) she will bite and growl and even snatch them back to her if they get out of hand. It is the only way she knows to keep predators away.

Good luck with your kitty, you are doing just fine.