Help with biting!

shuggs

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
One thing that works well with our 3 month old kitten Zuma is when he plays rough with my kids, they immediately tell him to STOP ZUMA very firmly while he is biting. He actually stops! Its all about training the kitty to let him know what is good play and what is not. They are brilliant and knows what ticks you off. Zuma is not suppose to come to bed at night to sleep at all. In the beginning he would sneak in but now, he would not after being told to stop climbing the bed. It only took us 3 days of tough love and now he only comes on bed to wake us up in the morning. Other than that, you will find him outside the door waiting for us to call him.

All the best with the cute kitten.

glory jasmine

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
South Carolina (California native-Sacramento)
Yes, this could always be a tooth related problem. Tybalt and his nearly identical brother, Bow-Tie/Pete, both had their adult canines come in late- about 6 months. He chewed on things like a dog and was very nippy (he still hates it when I wear socks and tries to bite them off of my feet). Now he talks with his mouth, much like a dog, because I couldn't untrained him to bite, but was able to repurposed the biting and convince him to be more gentle. I'm actually thankful for it though, because he managed to wake me from a night terror by lifting my hand, one finger in his mouth, until it got on his back. I woke up petting him, and he was nervous purring very loudly in my face. That's the thing about cats though. It seems it's so much easier to repurposed a bad habit than to try to cut it out completely. [emoji]128576[/emoji]
Yea she has her permanent toofers! Canines and all. She's just a very feisty and expressive lil girl. She's definitely getting better with not using them all the time. She's learning that she can get her point across without gouging us! It can be quite frustrating though. Especially when you're awakened out of a dead sleep by her chompers in your arm! All because she got all the sleep she needed and decided that my moving arm (as I rolled over) looked like a nice play thing! She's such a blessing though. I really love my daughter.

Ps...I can never leave a bra,socks or underwear on the bed because she snatches it up,takes it to the living room and attacks it! When I go pottie,she comes in and grabs a tampon quickly out of a lil thingy I have them in and she's off!!!! Kinda funny to watch her. She is just learning about things. Lots to take in and boundaries to test. But,that's how they learn. I firmly believe that consistency is the key!

Last edited:

mary anne

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My husband and I rescued a 5 week old kitten from a grocery store. Yes that's right. She was inside the store! Crawled up into one of those scooter thingys. She is the feistiest cat I've ever had. And the biting is relentless! She is now 6 months old,and still bites!!! It's all the time too like you mentioned. Our ankles,feet ,hands,fingers and arms. And she's rough with her two,16 lb. brothers! I've noticed that she's doing it a little less now. From what I've read,when they get between 5-6 weeks,they get their toofers. They do not know what they're for let alone how to use them. These are things that they're taught from their mama. When we have youngins that weren't with their mothers like they should've been,they're even more clueless. Be patient. As I'm trying to be too. It can get very frustrating,I know! I'm assuming that some learn faster than others. And that can be said with about anything. She's the hardest cat I've ever had to potty train,as well. I'm trying to teach her that biting is ok with certain things,like playing with her mice or with her brothers,but to a certain extent,of course. But absolutely not with flesh!!! It certainly does hurt when a body part is sunk into by some sharp chompers!!! Just remember why you fell in love with her. And that she's your child,she needs rearing. And when it comes to rearing an animal,we're all continuously learning. I'll be praying for you and I both,as a matter of fact,for all of us,that it stops soon and that we all have some fingers left!

God bless you!,Glory

mary anne

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I rescued a kitten when he was prob only 1 day old. My sister and brother in law have him and want to give him back. They say he bites and scratches them. He's been fixed. He's not quite a year. Any idea why he's acting like this? Is it possible for him to be a good pet for me?