Help with an odd kitty.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

qwerty3

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Oh jeez, I knew it looked like it was getting bigger. Any idea on when she'd sling her kittens? I wouldn't love to have a family of cats in my house but obviously if it showed up heavily pregnant there'd be no other choice. Hopefully the owner (if it has one) would take care of that though.

ondine

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
If she's halfway through, the owners don't care enough about her to take care of it.  I'd get her to the vet as soon as possible and get an assessment.  If you choose not to spay her now, then you'll have to find homes for the kittens.  I know this is probably overwhelming right not but this is how we all got started, so we can walk you through this process.

Blessings on you for helping her.  If she's halfway through, that means she has about a month before the kittens are born.

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
Why not try putting a safety collar on her with your number and "Is this your cat?" written on the tag? If she does have another home the owners will then realise that she is friendly with someone else and call you. (Or start keeping her in.) If not you can assume that she's either a stray or has been dumped.

If you do decide to go ahead with the birth you need to think about keeping her in when she's due to have her kittens. She seems to have chosen you anyway, I guess she's going to be looking for comfy places to have her babies in your house. You'll need a room for her with a choice of nesting boxes. You don't want her to have her kittens outside, it's too risky for her and for them.

qwerty3

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thanks for the replies. I tried putting one of those collars that slips off if it gets stuck but she pulled it off when she squeezed under the gate in my yard two seconds after and got it stuck, so I don't think it'd last her more than 100 yards away from the house.

The pregnancy explains a lot, she looked pretty well fed for a cat that probably doesn't have a person regularly feeding it. Her easygoing attitude about coming in and then out of the house led me to think she was owned and just visiting. Nonetheless I'll probably just keep her inside next time she shows up. 

The problem is I'm only in high school, and obviously I live with my parents. They already don't much want a cat, hence why I didn't just keep it inside sooner.

My mother is not only mildly allergic to cats, but she's terrified of them. She is only allergic to some cats for whatever reason. A family friend's house which has about 7 cats doesn't give her a reaction, but a house with only one cat does. She seemed pretty good last night when it was inside on the couch near her and I even got her to pet it, which I thought was quite a milestone. Nonetheless, we don't exactly have a money tree and I'm not sure how much of the cat's medical stuff I can afford with the money I myself have.

Anyways, if they learn that the cat is pregnant with winter coming, they might change their minds. I talked to a few people today about if they wanted kittens so it wouldn't be trouble getting rid of them, at least.

qwerty3

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My apologies for the double post. Anyways, so much for empathy- if they didn't like the cat before, they despised learning it is probably pregnant. I'm at a dead end- if I say it's not pregnant than they'll think it's well fed and has an owner, and if I say it is pregnant they won't want it around. 

ondine

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Are you perhaps able to talk to some neighbors and see if they know who the cat belongs to?  Maybe someone can help you with her or help you get in touch with a rescue that can help?

qwerty3

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I've talked to the neighbor's who were considerate enough to answer their door or call from the fliers. It could  be the pet of this sketchy guy on my road but he's not exactly the best owner. Like you said, If she's halfway through, the owners don't care enough about her to take care of it.  

I've been talking with her a lot about the cat, and I can tell she's liking it a little more. 
I'll have to wait and see what happens next time she (the cat) comes over to the house. If it's a cold night I can charm them into letting it sleep here. My mother was saying today how weird it was it came to our house and snuck in all the time despite her chasing it away a lot and us not feeding it- so I think she's beginning to understand we've been "chosen" XD

qwerty3

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Also, I haven't the slightest idea of what to do if she is pregnant. I've read a few articles describing pregnant cats just showing up and charming their way into the house, but oddly enough this cat has been lurking around since the summer. If she comes around soon I can try and get a ride to the vet where I could get her scanned and then possibly spayed- although something tells me partially paying for a cat abortion won't please my mom. My parents also think that the cat is owned due to it's size, even though being pregnant would more than explain it. I'm at a stalemate here and I'm not sure what to do..

ondine

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
A lot depends on the cat.  If she feels safe in your house, she may elect to have her kittens there, if you haven't been able to have her spayed before that.  You really do need to get her to a vet, so you have the information you need to make decisions.  I am hoping your mom realizes that not making a decision is the same as making one.  Leaving the cat on her own is a decision that will impact all of you in the long run.

Your mom may be more interested in bringing her to the vet once she realizes right now, there's only one cat to worry about.  Leaving the situation to work itself out may leave you with quite a few more.

qwerty3

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I haven't seen her since the day she was in the house. Maybe I can convince her to bring her to the vet when the cat comes back- how late would I be able to spay her? She has a habit of disappearing at important times.

qwerty3

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Oh, well its good to know I have a little time to convince..

If all else fails she could deliver the kittens but that wouldn't be ideal.

catwoman707

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
You do have time, of course the sooner the better for sure!

Her having kittens is not so simple, and will require her to be contained for a good couple months, nursing them, then drying up, getting spayed and recovering.

Finding the kittens homes, meanwhile cleaning after them, shots, and so on.

Then there's always learning some basics so you are well prepared for any of the "what-if's" that can and do go wrong, for instance if she has a baby stuck in the birth canal, or she refuses to feed them, etc.

Freedom

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
What a pretty tuxie (tuxedo) girl she is!  Have you consider giving her a name?  That makes things more 'personal,' for helping your mom, ha haaa.

I agree that she needs to have a vet check, so you have the info you need to make decisions.  Have you checked on craigslist for your area?  Under both Lost and Found AND under Pets.  You may also want to post on CL in PETS, ask for names of local TNR groups.  If you can get the support of a feral cat group, they usually have arrangements for discounts with specified vets.  This will help keep your costs down.  I voluntered with one locally for a time; we were always willing to help someone working with a stray.  So this may help you a bit.

qwerty3

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Well then spaying sounds far easier.

Any ideas on the cost? They aren't even on board with letting the poor thing in the house for more than a half an hour, and they're still convinced it has an owner. 

If anything  I could try and get brought to the vet's to get her checked for a microchip (even though at this point her having an owner is pretty slim) and then I could see if we could get her spayed then and there.

Not sure how I'll do it though, since they don't want anything to do with it if it's pregnant, and think if it's not pregnant its fat enough to have a home. I wish I had the money to do all the stuff myself, because I would in a flash.

Edit: I just saw your post Freedom, I actually live in Rhode Island too. If you wouldn't mind PM'ing me, (or posting it here) any places you'd suggest, it'd be greatly appreciated.

Last edited:

Freedom

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Oh!  This is only my 2d day on this forum, didn't think to check where you are located.  RI!  

I have a listing for low cost spay neuter in our state --

http://www.ricsnc.org/cats.html

RI Spay Neuter Clinic 235 Elm Street Warwick RI 401-369-7297 (their website is the link ABOVE.)

http://www.rispca.com/Documents/Low Cost SpayNeuter Programs.pdf

Care for Animals 2944 Post Road, Warwick, RI 02886 401-738-6695 Dr Patricia Ader

Titan Veterinary Services, 1664 Elmwood Ave, Cranston RI 02910 401-781-3233

I had to chuckle at your comment about her 'disappearing at important times.'  This is a cat technique!  Seen it many times.  Once you have made up your mind to take her to a vet, to get an appointment, you need to get her in and keep her in until it is time to leave.  I've had cats of my own disappear here in the house the day of a vat visit, ha haaa. 

qwerty3

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thanks so much 

Maybe I'll get lucky and I can convince them to bring the cat for a spaying and checkup next week(assuming she doesn't disappear like she does) I can always pay them back..

Freedom

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
You will have to have her inside before you make the appointment.  For spay surgery, the cat must have anesthesia.  This means no food after 8 PM, no water after 11 PM the night before.  The only way you can ensure this is by having her IN.  If she does eat or drink, they can not do the surgery.