Help with an angry cat after a move.

richard terry

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
A little background on all this is needed I think. First off I have 4 cats and recently moved from Columbus, OH to Reno, NV. When I was in Ohio I lived with my now EX Girlfriend and we both had our share of cats. Originally when I moved I was just going to take my 2 cats with me but someone dumped off 2 kittens about 2 months old on our back porch. They were filthy, covered in fleas, and smelled of urine. We took them in, cleaned them up, got them into the vet and got the flea situation under control as well. However when I was going to leave I couldn't just leave the 2 kittens with my EX as she was already on cat overload already (she has 5 now) and didn't want to make her have to go through the adoption process. Plus I fell for the buggers.

However one of the cats I was bringing with me (Pandora) is jealous as heck, and is having to deal with the new home as well. At the old place she was friends with most of the cats there and she tolerates my other older cat but she HATES the kittens. Any time she sees them she growls loudly and hisses until they are out of view. At our old place Pandora was allowed to go outside and all she ever did was climb our tree in the front and lie on the front porch. The second night at the new place she tore through one of the screen windows and ran off. We found her but she really hates the new situation. She spends all day long hiding and comes out in the evening when it get's dark and starts up the cycle of hiding in new areas and growling at the kittens,

The kittens and the older cat settled into the new house just fine. However, I'm really worried about Pandora (she's my avatar). We've been in Reno now for about a week and I know it sometimes takes anywhere from 2 weeks to a month for them to be ok with the new place. She just seems like a totally different cat now. She's the same with me when it's one on one but the hiding isn't like her. The aggressive growling at the kittens isn't like her, and I just don 't know what to do. Is she ever going to be her old self again? Is there anything I can do?

Thanks.

Ms. Freya

Advisor
Veteran
Purraise
It's a lot of upheaval for her at once, so it will probably take her longer than usual, but she'll likely settle back into her routines. One thing you could try is separating her entirely from the kittens - give her a room or two just to herself and close her in there with food, water, litter and a place to sleep. This willet her get used to the sounds and smells of the new place without having to worry about the other cats. Once she's calmer, you can try reintroducing her to everyone else  - she may never like them very much, but at least she'll be dealing with them after she's had a chance to get comfortable in the new place.

Good Luck!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

richard terry

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thanks. She is in her own room for the time being and I have taken to alternating thigns. One night she's by herself and the rest are with me, and one night I reverse that.

just mike

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
A little background on all this is needed I think. First off I have 4 cats and recently moved from Columbus, OH to Reno, NV. When I was in Ohio I lived with my now EX Girlfriend and we both had our share of cats. Originally when I moved I was just going to take my 2 cats with me but someone dumped off 2 kittens about 2 months old on our back porch. They were filthy, covered in fleas, and smelled of urine. We took them in, cleaned them up, got them into the vet and got the flea situation under control as well. However when I was going to leave I couldn't just leave the 2 kittens with my EX as she was already on cat overload already (she has 5 now) and didn't want to make her have to go through the adoption process. Plus I fell for the buggers.

However one of the cats I was bringing with me (Pandora) is jealous as heck, and is having to deal with the new home as well. At the old place she was friends with most of the cats there and she tolerates my other older cat but she HATES the kittens. Any time she sees them she growls loudly and hisses until they are out of view. At our old place Pandora was allowed to go outside and all she ever did was climb our tree in the front and lie on the front porch. The second night at the new place she tore through one of the screen windows and ran off. We found her but she really hates the new situation. She spends all day long hiding and comes out in the evening when it get's dark and starts up the cycle of hiding in new areas and growling at the kittens,

The kittens and the older cat settled into the new house just fine. However, I'm really worried about Pandora (she's my avatar). We've been in Reno now for about a week and I know it sometimes takes anywhere from 2 weeks to a month for them to be ok with the new place. She just seems like a totally different cat now. She's the same with me when it's one on one but the hiding isn't like her. The aggressive growling at the kittens isn't like her, and I just don 't know what to do. Is she ever going to be her old self again? Is there anything I can do?

Thanks.
I think if you are persistent she will be fine.  I'd separate her from the others until you are sure she has calmed down.  Patience will be your best ally in this situation.  Her entire world has been rocked and from what you've posted, it looks like she is the most sensitive to change.  You might investigate investing in a Feliway diffuser.  It has really helped calm a couple of my hyper kitties and I will never be without another one.  Best of luck!  I'm sure it will turn out fine.  You seem to be a loving and caring pet parent.