Help with abandoned kitten please

laxranger2003

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello, I have been scouring the internet the past couple days and the most informative/helpful information I have found sofar has come from this website and one or two others. I figured it was about time to sign up and ask questions instead of lurking 
Now for the anxiety and stress I've been losing sleep over(besides those night feedings 

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Goats milk powder should be OK, definitely better than some conspicious kmr.  so just proceed with it.   :)

Re the constipation, you can add a couple of drops of oil.  Coldpressed organic oil - rapeseed / canola, olive, cocos oil are best n- its also good nourishment, but almost any food oil should work.

Add at every meal, and should work within 24 hours.   When it begins to work, diminsih the dose to half.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

laxranger2003

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you for the tip StefanZ, I will try some olive oil drops for the next couple feedings and see if that 'gets things going'. Any advice on the little one not gaining weight? He weighed in at 195g and still was 195g after a whole 18-24 hours of feedings.

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise

Thank you for the tip StefanZ, I will try some olive oil drops for the next couple feedings and see if that 'gets things going'. Any advice on the little one not gaining weight? He weighed in at 195g and still was 195g after a whole 18-24 hours of feedings.
Yes, this is a problem.  My guess its a connection with the constipation (although he should sooner add than not add, being constipated).

The standard is to give more goats milk... Perhaps more often but if necessary in lesser portions.

Can you get glucose sugar (dextrose, dextropur).  If not, common honey is OK to use, or rather honey solved in water.    Honey contains much glucose sugar.   This is useful in many situations.

laxranger2003

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Okay, I can try some glucose if I find it otherwise I will try the honey. So before I even had time to give him olive oil on his next feeding he seemed to explode with what looks like very yellow diarrhea: I'll post a pic I am not sure if thats appropriate or alright but I am worried so here goes:

I'm guessing a vet visit is in order but is there anything I should know in the meantime? I feel like this is not normal bowel movement here. Thoughts anyone?

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
He has probably some worms,  most kitten has.  If he has something more, I dont know.  Im relieved he did poo, even if it was diarreatish...  Still, as you did found a good vet, a visit there is never wrong.

You do have this powdered goats milk, which is probably OK.  You may get some kmr from the vet.   But can you by any occasion get raw goats milk?  Do they have goats in China?

Raw goats milk is even better.  The only BUT is you must be reasonably sure its milked from healthy goats in reasonably good hygienic condition.   Otherwise raw goats milk has an edge, is even somewhat inflammation soothing...

laxranger2003

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
It seems he can get deworm medication at his age ~2 weeks and needs to do it every few weeks from what I am reading? I guess I can get that medication while I am at the vet and get better food than the powdered goats milk too while I am there. They do have goats here in China but I don't think I can get raw goat's milk, and if I could I would not trust the health of the goats. Thank you very much for your quick and helpful replies.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
L laxranger2003

You can add a beaten egg yolk into the goat's milk formula for added nutrition if your eggs are safe from salmonella. I hope you are using full-fat goat's milk.

Skipping a poop or two is not unusual, but bright yellow is indicative of parasites, such as coccidia or giardia - neither of which is uncommon in strays. The little guy may need antibiotics along with a drug called panacur to wipe this out.

Additionally, clean the infected eye with a warm, damp cloth to keep it from crusting shut. He'll need an antibiotic ointment for the eye, such as terramycin.

He is adorable! Your chart is excellent. He has been gaining very well, thanks to your feeding schedule. Kittens do have a plateau day sometimes, usually followed by a big gain. This can happen even when they have their mom.

I hope the military vet is spot on. Please keep us updated on the situation.

Edit: Does Amazon deliver where you live? You can order kitten formula if so.

Last edited:

laxranger2003

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thanks for the great info sarthur2, and thanks for the compliments --you were exactly right ! He went from his plateau of 195 to 220 the next day even after pooping some more so I am more confident now.  However I am afraid to use egg yolk as China just got hit with a big wave of avian flu,  but I will keep that in mind for the future. Did exactly what you were thinking and went on amazon.cn and found some legitimate food so that is on the way. We also got some medicine from the vet for his eye but we are going tomorrow to physically see the vet and bringing our little guy so they can check his poop and figure out medicine for the parasites etc. 

Again many thanks to all the help everyone has given! With hope and care we are more confident this little guy will have a lovely life with us.

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
@laxranger2003

You can add a beaten egg yolk into the goat's milk formula for added nutrition if your eggs are safe from salmonella. I hope you are using full-fat goat's milk.

Skipping a poop or two is not unusual, but bright yellow is indicative of parasites, such as coccidia or giardia - neither of which is uncommon in strays. The little guy may need antibiotics along with a drug called panacur to wipe this out.

Additionally, clean the infected eye with a warm, damp cloth to keep it from crusting shut. He'll need an antibiotic ointment for the eye, such as terramycin.

He is adorable! Your chart is excellent. He has been gaining very well, thanks to your feeding schedule. Kittens do have a plateau day sometimes, usually followed by a big gain. This can happen even when they have their mom.

I hope the military vet is spot on. Please keep us updated on the situation.

Edit: Does Amazon deliver where you live? You can order kitten formula if so.
If pancur is what we call for axilur in Sweden, I want to add, its true its an potent all-rounder, taking all worms, and quite some parasites, but its also somewhat of a " horse medicine."   ie you must be healthy and strong to manage it without bigger problems.  You must also continue several times running.   So that is why axilur is seldom or never recommended for small kittens...

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise

Thanks for the great info sarthur2, and thanks for the compliments --you were exactly right ! He went from his plateau of 195 to 220 the next day even after pooping some more so I am more confident now.  However I am afraid to use egg yolk as China just got hit with a big wave of avian flu,  but I will keep that in mind for the future. Did exactly what you were thinking and went on amazon.cn and found some legitimate food so that is on the way. We also got some medicine from the vet for his eye but we are going tomorrow to physically see the vet and bringing our little guy so they can check his poop and figure out medicine for the parasites etc. 

Again many thanks to all the help everyone has given! With hope and care we are more confident this little guy will have a lovely life with us.
Whoa!   Another possibility you happened to make some mistake, and he DID added some the day inbetween, without you noticing it properly.       Sometimes this is an explanation for odd results.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Panacur is the brand name in the U.S. for fenbendazole. It is approved for equine use and is used off-label for puppies, kittens, cats, and dogs. It has proven safe and effective for our domestic furry friends.

Another drug that is highly effective against coccidia is ponazuril. This is also widely used off-label, but has been found safe and effective.

Both drugs are available without prescription in farm supply stores in the U.S., but you'll of course want to consult with a vet. Hopefully he can test a poop sample that you bring in to see what your kitten may need.

Glad to hear you ordered from Amazon. Also good you were able to secure eye medicine. Let us know what your vet suggests going forward. It's great the kitten is gaining well again! You are doing a great job! [emoji]128522[/emoji]

Last edited:

laxranger2003

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
That is true, I could have made a mistake for sure with all this lack of sleep haha. Well we got him some medicine from a local vet (couldn't make it to the downtown pros today) called Dronal but that does not seem like this little guy has the ability to take that even in the smallest dose.  I just kept it to have on hand for later unless anyone has any idea about maybe crushing a quarter or so of the pill into a powder and mixing it with water? 

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Yes, drontal is effective against worms. That is exactly what you should do. Crush 1/4 tablet as finely as possible, mix with a small amount of water, and give it via syringe - followed by some milk to help wash it down.

Is he still having yellow diarrhea?

laxranger2003

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
He had yellow poop today, it was a little liquid but mostly pasty.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
He's going to need treatment for the yellow poop. It will not go away on its own. It's parasites and/or bacterial infection. [emoji]128528[/emoji]

laxranger2003

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Okay thank you very much for your help, we will be sure to give him medicine in order to clear this up; will post a followup because I am sure I will have more questions for you all haha.