Help with a 9 week old kitten

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Nestle'sMom

ok, I have no idea how to do that... lol But I'll be sure to ask the vet about it this afternoon!
Turn her around and look at her butt. A dark spot on either side of her anus means there's stuff in her anal glads.

Some kittens will also have smelly butts (smells cheesy) separate of that. It seems to go away after diet improves and they're worm free. Though some will sort of pooch their butts out.
I have no answer as to why that happens, maybe a hold over from kittenhood when they expected mother cat to take care of that…

catsallaround

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I was told by petsmart kmr was no longer being sold. I never go anywhere else so not sure if that meant just petsmart or all stores. Petsmart sells GNC and 21st Century but to be honest if shes 9 weeks maybe a better idea to just stay to solids as who knows how much nursing she had and what her body could handle far as milk...water and wet food will do this one alot better.

Fa as the smell I took a 6 week old from a bad scene and he stunk for days-he was/is fine just like how cigarette smoke gets on everything this cats fur had the smell for about a week after...MANY baths too!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

nestle'smom

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Update from the Vet:

Nestle is going to be ok. The Vet had the same thoughts I did at first exam though... She did a fecal test which came back negative for everything. She was shocked at the amount of mucus in her stool though... She checked for ringworm and any other fungal infections and all were negative. She also did the normal kitten exam and all was well there! Nestle's butt got to the point this afternoon where it's actually starting to bleed now... So, the vet said I could use desiten and corn starch powder on her as needed to help sooth her little tush.

We're still waiting on the FIV and Feline Leukemia results, and I should have those in the morning.

So, bottom line, ALL of this was cause by really poor nutrition and cows milk, and that's something I can easily fix, and AM fixing! The vet said it will be another 3-4 days until her tummy feels better based on the amount of mucus in the fecal sample, and the smell should get better with that as well. All in all, I have a kitten that will be perfectly healthy!

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Fecals are often false negative. Fully deworm this kitten (for tapeworms, keep up with thre Revolution). I've never had a fecal find tapeworms, even in cats with them.

nestle'smom

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I'll call tomorrow and see if there's something she can give me just in case. Is there something specific I should ask for? Will the revolution take care of tapeworms too?

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Revolution takes care of round and hook worms, the box even says that.

Droncit and Drontal are used for tapes. The latter will also treat other worms. Provided that the kitten is healthy enough to handle it, the vet should be fine letting you come pick up a pill for her.

stephanietx

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Yep, Revolution will take care of the roundworms and hookworms, but not the tapeworms. Also, tapeworms don't show up on a fecal. You actually have to either see the worm casings or the worm dangling from the anus to KNOW they have them. Most young kitties coming from such a situation would just automatically be treated for them without a fecal exam.

Fortiflora is probably the most common probiotic. You can just sprinkle it on wet food and the kitty will eat it. I have given my kitties plain human grade acidophilus before and that's helped.

kittica

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Same here, as far as tapeworm goes. Fecal tested negative, yet Kittica kept puking and coughing. A few days later, she actually threw up a nasty sample. Then we got some deworming something (forgot what it was, but it was put between her shoulderblades).

motoko9

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Nestle'sMom

So, bottom line, ALL of this was cause by really poor nutrition and cows milk, and that's something I can easily fix, and AM fixing! The vet said it will be another 3-4 days until her tummy feels better based on the amount of mucus in the fecal sample, and the smell should get better with that as well. All in all, I have a kitten that will be perfectly healthy!
Good news! I'm glad to hear she's well on her way to recovery.

nestle'smom

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Yah, Im really excited. And she's starting to calm down a bit. The first couple days here all she did was cry. Which, with her being siamese, was a LOT of crying... lol She's getting to know us better, and was even playing last night which was nice to see.

nestle'smom

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
WOOT! FIV and Feline Leukemia results, are also negative!!!