Help with 7 week old kitten

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

gloverme1988

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
VERY soft now. Still a defined shape. But loses shape once I pick it up. So gross I know. And I'm sorry but I really am concerned about them.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

gloverme1988

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Should I separate mama and kitten? I hate to do it but I feel like it may be something they are passing back and forth and could fight off. I had them separate for a few days and he seemed much better. Then reintroduced them to each other and he picked it right back up. I plan on taking them to the vet anyway but can't until I get paid. And I don't want to foster them. I want to keep them. And in that case I'm afraid I'll have to pay full price. And my credit is not very good. I got denied care credit last year for one of my other cats who had a hair all lodged in her small intestine. Ended having to pay $500 for X-ray, IVs, antibiotics, special food, and cat-lax.

howmany

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I wouldn't separate them mom's milk would be carrying antibodies to what ever virus or bacteria . Clean their beding well ,wash food dish and litter boxes out. Non clumping litter for kittens right?
What kind of protien is in 9lives food does it have wheat or corn ? food intolerance can cause blood streaking and pale stool. milk will keep his stoll softer until he weens.
I have one kitten of four with grey clay coloued poo and I am trying to figure it out ...
Really pale can be liver problems but I haven't really thought about that yet.
Is kitty playfull have a shiny coat and clear eyes or are they sickly?
Can you get your regular vet to dispense oral dewormer for you it you know the wieght of cats? With out a visit? That be my frist step if not a food change.[emoji]128580[/emoji]I know trying to pick decent food that is not hard to pick up and is not too much$ can be hard[emoji]128579[/emoji] I'm sure that even if thay don't feel 100% there so happy to have your care!

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
No need to separate them. Whatever it is they've already shared and both have it. They need to stay together.

Have you made an appointment for Friday yet?

Try mixing a spoonful of plain, canned pumpkin into their wet food. It has fiber and may bulk up their poops. Cats usually love the flavor. A probiotic sprinkled in may help too.

Last edited:

jahzara

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hm, yeah I would not separate them either. That sounds traumatic for both of them and I would imagine that it would mess up kitten's GI tract both having milk removed suddenly and then reintroduced suddenly. Also might be painful for mom to stop the nursing.

You said you separated them recently? The reintroduction of the milk could be what is making kitten's stool have a sudden consistency change right now. 

In humans, blood in stool comes about it two forms: 1 is where the stool is black; this suggests bleeding in the upper intestines. The 2nd is visible blood on the actual stool or toilet paper. This is usually close to the anal opening and usually suggests straining and more along the lines of hemmorhoids. You're saying that the kitten does not seem to have blood in its stool currently, it is softer right now, and is more regular? These really make me think that the kittens stools were getting too hard & causing a bit of constipation.

I know some people think that kitten food is overhype, but it really is not. It has a high fat (& protein) content, higher than adult food. I think the high fat content, while good not only for their growth and development, both physically and mentally, helps in their bowel movements, keeping it soft and moving easier.

I would recommend the Fancy Feast kitten line; they have a seafood flavor and a turkey flavor. Both my cats love the turkey flavor (the seafood flavor seems less common to find so have not tried it yet.) Also, some dry kitten food, like Science Diet brand, will help offset the cost of feeding straight wet food. You can tell it is fatty cause the plates always have fat residue on it afterward. haha. Either that or a holistic food that says it is for adults and kittens or "All Stages."

You obviously care about these two little guys and are doing a great job caring for them. I think they will be okay till Friday since they are eating, not losing weight, and seem to be improving a bit.