Help with 2 anti social kittens/ young kids!

jessrexx

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
So, let me first say that our last cat was a 12 lb maine coon - who was basically like a dog super tolerant of my kids, and super social.

We just adopted 2 female mix kittens - about 3 months old now. When we first got them, one had pan leuk and we were playing kitty hospital for a while. Miraculously, they both survived.

I need help with trying to get them more socialized now that everyone is feeling better. They tend to hide a lot. They come out a night when the kids are in bed, but still seem like they want to just hide in the basement.

I know a large part is getting my youngest ;3year old) to stop scaring them to death. He doesn't mean too, and we are working really hard to show him how to approach the kitties. But, he was really used to our previous cat (who was like a dog).

We had a party at the house today, lots if people. The cats are really hiding today, and not having the nighttime romping they usually do, but I am letting them be. Figuring they are stressed from today.

Any suggestions appreciated!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

jessrexx

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Let me also add, I feel like they haven't reached their super wild kitten phase yet. Maybe I am expecting to much from such young kittens? It's been a super long time since I have had kittens. I tend to forget these things

sunflowers

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
You might want to try playing with them separately. Sometimes kittens will feed off each others nervous energy. You will also notice that each kitten might have a different motivator (some kittens like food, other like toys). That way you can learn what works best for each one. My girl loves food and will do anything for it. My boy prefers toys over food.

Are they completely antisocial to everyone in your household? Or is there anything they show an interest in? Do they find anything you do fascinating (my kittens love to watch me clean their litter box, weirdos lol)?How often do you feed them each day?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

jessrexx

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Still feeding them 3-4 times a day. Partly because when the one was sick - she became really malnourished.
I guess anti social is not totally the right phrase.
It's more getting them used to other people and the kids I need to work on.
And getting them used to playing during the day - they had us up all last night because of being in the basement hiding last night!

sunflowers

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
You might want to get the kids more involved with helping you care for them. Maybe you can prepare the food bowls and then have the kids put them down for the kittens. Or have your oldest clean the kitty litter in front of them. Once the kittens see the kids aren't that much different then you they might start to warm up to them.

As for strangers, that one will take a lot of time and positive reinforcement. I don't have a lot of cat experience, but I do have a lot of friends with cats and only about 20% will approach strangers right away, the rest take a while to warmup. I have two kittens and the male will disappear as soon as a stranger walks through the door. I usually shut all the doors to make sure he stays in the main room with the guest, but allow him to hide under the couch where he feels safe. Since kittens tend to be playful, he eventually gets bored of hiding after 20mins and will quietly sneak around the room sniffing around the guest. It helps if you advise your guests not to pet or reach for them. I think a party would be overwhelming for any cat so I wouldn't be too alarmed that they didn't want to stick around. I would focus getting them to used to single strangers first.