Help what could be wrong with my baby.

stephanietx

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Try warming up his wet food a little bit and see if that entices him to eat a bit.  Also, you can try plain meat baby food (beef, chicken, or turkey).  That might entice him to eat some wet food.  It would be good if you could get some canned food into him.  He may be constipated because of the dry food only, but not sure.  You could also try offering him some plain canned pumpkin, not the pumpkin pie spice.  Just about a teaspoon twice a day might help get things moving.

miskinsincap

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Ok, first of all, I don't think it's laundry crystals, because if it was so, the sickness would progress much faster, and you would probably see other symptoms of poisoning such as seizures. Clavamox is a broad spectrum antibiotic. He probably needs that, but since zazzy didn't get detailed tests, you need to be alert for some other things.

Now, I think there are three things you should be alert for at the moment. 

One is dehydration, if he gets dehydrated, he will need fluids fast, and that can be done by only someone who's familiar with the procedure (vet tech can do it, also maybe your sister can?). So keep an eye on that.

Another one is rapid weight loss; with rapid weight loss in a cat that stops eating, protein supplies are soon exhausted and the liver becomes overwhelmed by all the fat (I think it depends on the cat, but when I say rapid, I mean really fast). If he didn't stop eating all together, that is relatively good. So if he starts not eating at all, or you notice that he's melting, and you can't make him eat, just don't care what she says, ring the vet tech until you get her attention. 

The third one is that he needs to poop. I think I wrote it before, but again, if he can't empty his bowel, in time the contents in his bowel can get toxic,  Don't panick now; it usually takes a lot of time for them to become toxic, but you know what goes in has to get out somehow. So please ask the vet tech about this, and maybe she will give some laxatives. 

Well, you know it is not reliable to make a healthy guess just by reading about zazzy, but I suspect that he might be suffering from constipation. We had to deal with that a number of times with different cats. Usually the problem resolved itself with the help of some syringe fed olive oil, or laxatives or just a change in the diet. Peanut on the other hand, had to go through the worst case scneraio (she has a very sensitive digestive system, long hair, and although her vet says otherwise, we were probably late to act); her bowels got deformed, her vet had no choice but to operate her and we were very lucky that she survived. Don't fret though, what happened to Peanut is rare, but please ask the vet tech about this concern of mine about constipation. 

And one last thing; I know some cats are really difficult when it comes to meds, but believe me, it gets easier sooner than you expect, and staying calm really helps a lot. 

Please update us. 

PS: I thought maybe I should add this also. If the problem is constipation, he can't and shouldn't eat that much until he gets rid of his previous meals. But hopefully he still won't exhaust his protein supply, since there's still some digestion going on. Still, lack of protein is dangerous, so you should keep an eye of the weight loss.

Last edited:

petcrazy76

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
It sounds like you are getting the meds in his mouth, just not getting him to swallow. If this is bad, please feel free to correct me anyone, but have you tried blowing in his face? The surprise can make them swallow.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

zazzozal

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thank You, YOU have helped me get through the last 12 ( or more ) hours with the medication, thing. So I guess he did not get any of his medicine yesterday.So my sister is coming definitely today to give him the medication, and show me how.So Ill let you know, he is not hiding from me right now and his coat looks a little  bit smother not sticking up as much. So again I really DK. ill let you know as soon as she gives him his dosel

zazzozal

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
WHEW, I DID IT, I GOT HIM HIS DOSE IN!!!! My son helped, and so far it's been 6 minutes he has not vomited it up. I got almost the entire dose in. THANK GOD!!!  I'm so proud of my self, and my little zazzy, I love him so so much, I REALLY DO!  Now I have to keep praying and keep positive and hope he poops, going to give him some olive oil, and canned pumpkin and chicken baby food. PRAY HE EATS, IT.  Still not eating, but he is drinking alot. so  IDK. Ill keep you posted. Again Thank You for your concern, and support.

miskinsincap

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
It's good to hear that zazzie got his medicine at last  
 And you really should be proud of yourself. 

Keep in mind that drinking water won't help much for softening his poop. Olive oil is good, you can also try boiling some meat or chicken and giving him that water; my Peanut loves that. Pumpkin, green beans and peas are good. You said he doesn't eat wet food. How about tuna? Or try heating the food a little before giving him, that sometimes does the trick. 

Hope zazzie gets well soon.

zazzozal

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi , i woke up today and zazzy still has not eaten, I'M STILL WORRIED , it's been 9 days he only ate one time and threw it up. Still no bowl movement, should I  wait to see if the clavamox works. I find this crazy I called the vet tech today, and told her that his fur is still sticking up, but he's drinking and urinating , JUST NOT EATING.  I have tried, tuna, boiled chicken, 3 kinds of wet food,(heated 2 times) , salmon,  beef, Chicken baby food, beef baby food, cheese, milk.( I know it's not the best but I just wanted to see) . He smelled the baby food and gagged last night , almost threw up, maybe the clavamox is making him sick in his tummy, It's already took his fever down, he feels normal. The vet tech told me the organization, (cat rescue) vet, wont see medicals, any more . Unless it's there cat, (rescued). So back to square one. I'm so confused. I DO NOT HAVE ANY MONEY FOR A VET AFTER BILLS, I HAVE LIKE 50.00 IN THE BANK. IDK WHAT TO DO. I'M ON SSDI . I NEVER PLANNED ON HIM GETTING THIS SICK, I TAKE GREAT CARE OF HIM. SORRY MY CAPS WONT UNLOCK. JUST STUCK. IF ANY BODY knows (there it goes) of any vets in Delaware that take payments please let me know, I have called the whole state. 

OK I just spoke with my sister and she put him on the schedule for the clinic on Thursday am.  So Thank God, my poor Zazzy I am going to put some baby food with his meds, and syringe feed it to him. for now till I can get to the vet. I don't know how people do it that loose a pet, I don't know what I would do if God forbid I ever lost my boy. I would not be good at all, for a long long time. I'm so sick of hearing he is "just a cat" I WANT TO SCREAM, HOW CAN THEY SAY THAT (HERE GOES MY CAPS AGAIN STUCK SORRY), IT'S SO UPSETTING . HE IS A CAT I KNOW BUT I LOVE HIM AND WORRY DAY AND NIGHT WHEN HE IS SICK. IT' S TEARING ME UP. AGAIN THANKS FOR THE HELP. I WILL LET YOU ALL KNOW WHAT THE VET SAYS.

Last edited:

zazzozal

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
MY BABY HAS BEEN DIAGNOSED WITH DRY FIP. I was told the prognosis is death!! I WILL NOT ACCEPT THIS? NO NO NOT AT ALL, I LOVE MY BOY LIKE MY CHILD. NO WAY THIS CAN NOT BE TRUE. I CAN'T EAT , I CAN'T BREATH, I AM SO SO SO SO UPSET, I HAVE LOST FRIENDS, AND NOT BEEN LIKE THIS. ( just being honest) I know that is probably wrong. Im just sick, I WILL NOT TAKE THIS, I DO NOT BELIEVE IT!!! MAYBE THERE IS A MISTAKE. MAYBE. IDK, IM HAVING SO MANY EMOTIONS , AND QUESTIONS. SO THAT IS THE DIAGNOSIS, THANK YOU FOR ALL OF YOUR HELP. PLEASE PRAY FOR A MIRACLE, HE IS ONLY 2 I NEED HIM HERE . I REALLY LOVE THIS CAT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

denice

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I think everyone here understands how much you love your cat and how angry you are about this.  I think FIP is a horrible cruel disease and there aren't any answers, no treatments, and the exact disease process isn't fully understood.  I don't think anyone here would judge you for ranting in anger about this.  I haven't dealt with it with one of my own cats and the disease angers me.

jcat

Mo(w)gli's can opener
Veteran
Purraise

zazzozal

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thank You, I keep trying to lay down and can't ,  I feel like im in a bad dream and want to wake up. I hope im not being to "crazy " over this, it's just how I feel. THANK YOU FOR YOUR EAR'S. i THINK MAYBE THERE WAS A MISTAKE, AND HE WILL BE FINE. i THINK MAYBE GOD WILL LET HIM LIVE AND HEAL HIM. JUST GONNA PRAY. IM JUST VERY EXHAUSTED, AND I HAVE A VERY BAD HEADACHE FROM CRYING. JUST DO NOT KNOW HOW IM GOING TO TELL MY 5 YEAR OLD GRANDAUGHTER,  WE GOT HIM FOR HER WHEN SHE WAS 3, BUT SHE ONLY COME'S EVERY WEEKEND, SO OF COURSE I BECAME HIS "MOTHER" . SHE IS GOING TO BE VERY UPSET. SO IDK, JUST SORRY FOR BEING SO UPSET AGAIN. AND I APPRECIATE ALL OF YOU. NOBODY ELSE UNDERSTANDS.

petcrazy76

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
You never have to apologize for being upset. He is part of your family and any one of us would be upset too. Try not to worry too much about your granddaughter. When my husband's grandma passed away, my daughter's therapist told us that kids handle grief a lot differently. They tend to get upset and then get over it very quickly. That's how my kids were. You just take care of yourself and your little boy. And remember we're always here for you when you need to let things out.

zazzozal

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
HI, GUESS WHAT!

JUST GOT A CALL MY BABY DOES NOT HAVE FIP, THANK GOD, ALL THE TEARS, AND NO SLEEP AND, NOT EATING!! WHEWW!!! I ASKED FOR A MIRACLE AND GOT ONE!  The vet is friends with my sister who, volunteers, at their, cat rescue, and  she called today and said NO FIP, AND SHE WAS SORRY I WAS TOLD THAT , AND THAT THE PROGNOSIS WAS "DEATH". I did not accept that, and see it did not happen!!!! Im so happy !! Thank You for all of your prayers and support you all helped so so much!!! soon he will up playing with me ill send pics!! BTW: he just had a bad infection, and 106 fever. But going to live.

petcrazy76

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I'm so glad he's going to get better! That's amazing news after thinking he had FIP. Hope you get some good sleep and hope this infection is over soon. :)

misty8723

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
  I'm so happy to hear that!! There is nothing in the world like good news after you have been thinking and fearing the worst!

jcat

Mo(w)gli's can opener
Veteran
Purraise
That's terrific news! The vet really shouldn't have gone on about FIP before ruling out other possibilities. :vibes::vibes::vibes: that he feels a lot better soon!

zazzozal

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hello, I posted on the other site, My Zazzy has been misdiagnosed with FIP, . The Vet called my sister and said , NO FIP, why did they do this to me . I was so so so scared, and sad. But we jumped up and down like little children when we found out, he is back to his playing self, looking healthy and BEAUTIFUL. when he went in he had 106 fever and he was dehydrated. They gave him convinenia ( spelling?). They also sedated him and gave him fluids. I prayed for a miracle. So I believe in prayers. But my baby boy is fine. IM SO GRATEFUL!!!!!!!

jcornman

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
If his appetite hasn't returned yet, get him into the vet again asap.  Have them do labs and if that doesn't turn up anything do an x-ray.  Sorry to be such an alarmist but I just lost my favorite cat to what was a mystery ailment right up until the last day.  Here's what happened:  A few months back my cat Willow started having a constipation problem just like yours.  We started treating him with veg oil and later on salmon oil, as per vet.. Like your cat, he doesn't like to be handled but is very affectionate on his own terms.  Cat people get used to this.  He hated this so much that he went from being a cat who waited at feeding time eagerly, to a cat that hid under the bed at feeding time.  I need to mention that he was restricted to my bedroom because of long time balance problems, he's had them for years.  Best guess is he got a hold of a pill(Rx drug) that was dropped. He was restricted my bedroom because the other cats might take unfair advantage of his condition. We switched from the oil to a high fiber prescription diet.  His appetite never returned to normal but we figured it was the new food. Although his appetite never fully returned, he was eating some.  He started skipping the occasional meal and we were mildly concerned but not alarmed.  A couple of weeks ago we decided to change his antidepressant (urinary indiscretion) in the hope that this would lessen any side affects (his old med has a reputation for digestive problems and balance issues).  We scheduled an appointment with the vet for a checkup and to make the change.  During the checkup everything seemed normal. No eye, ear, heart or respiration problems.  Temp was normal. The only problem was that he had lost weight.  The vet suggested we come back in in a month after he was stabilized on the new meds. and run blood and urine lab tests.  Over the next week his appetite dropped, he was eating a little but not enough.  We took him back to on Tuesday and left him overnight so the vet could collect a urine sample.  It was going to take a couple of days to get lab results.  In the mean time the vet had taken a long weekend vacation out of town but one of his assistants would call us with the lab results.  By the weekend he wasn't eating at all.  We tried everything including sliced turkey and beef baby food.  By Saturday we still hadn't heard back about the labs.  I called the answering service and finally convinced the operator to call him on vacation because without lab results what was another vet going to do.  He got the lab results from his assistant then he called us.  Turns out the labs were normal. Probably why the tech didn't call. Since nothing metabolic was wrong next line of reasoning was some kind of digestive tract blockage.  He arranged for one of his people to meet us at the office the next morning.  They provided barium in preparation for x-rays Monday morning.  When we did the x-rays we were all in for a surprise.  There was no blockage but his lungs were collapsed due to fluid buildup in his.chest.  The vet operated to drain off the fluid but it was too late.  He described the substance in his chest as being like cottage cheese.  That evening the vet operated post postmortem and found it was infection not cancer.  Keep in mind he had never coughed or wheezed (he slept next to my head).  He didn't  run a fever, temp normal at exam, never felt unusually warm to me.  His labs came back with a normal white blood cell count, yet he died of a massive infection.  Our only clue was loss of appetite. 

I hope you've already found your answer, but if not, find out.  Make them keep looking until they find the cause.  If need be, find another vet but don't take no for an answer.  You need to know what's causing this.  If you catch it early enough you may be able to save him.  If it isn't curable, at least you can give him a good send off.