Help! what breed is my cat

lalnable

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
people have gone from saying he is an arabian mau to one of the vets thinking he is a siamese mix he is very vocal and has a different face then just a domestic shorthair I could really use your help ;v; his name is Doctor Lalnable Trellimar Hector he is 9 months old when I got him from the shelter a month ago they told me he is a domestic shorthair orange tabby but more and more I am starting to think he is more :eek: thank you for your help everyone! <3

imjustacatmom

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I can tell you he is not a Siamese mix...he does look like a DSH tabby...the only thing thst makes me think he may be mixed are his markings on his side...but still even when relooking at those he looks like an orange tabby [emoji]128049[/emoji] he sure is handsome and my goodness those eyes and ears...how adorable. ..one thing that concerns me is your vet calling him Siamese mix...there is nothing on this kitty that would indicate that and that would make me question your vet...hope this helps...btw I own a Siamese here is a pik

Last edited:
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

lalnable

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
he is indeed a domestic short hair siamese mix as I stated he is very very chatty those pictures don't show much when I get a chance with my new phone I will snap more pictures for you :>

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
If we imagine a male siamese mated with a female orange tabby, we could easily get this here result - a domestic orange tabby, with the body and head shape somewhat reminding of the siamese Ancestor.

Not the vice versa, as red color to males comes from the momma.

To daughters it can come from both.  - the red color is sitting on the X-gene.

lalnable

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
he also has some black fur mixed into him as well its very light but when you look at it it is indeed black thats what I was thinking could have happened :eek: but since I got him when he was 8 months I don't exactly know his past other then he was super shy and scared of people before he met me he wants to be the center of attention and he does meow alot a very chatty catty his eyes if you look at them in person have a very light blue sorta green sheen I have come across a few orange dsh siamese mix online but since he is only 9 months old still we will see what happens when he gets older :O

dixielandcats

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Your cat is beautiful, but I agree with imjustacatmom imjustacatmom I don't see any Siamese in him. In my opinion I would say he's just a domestic short hair orange tabby. He does have pretty green eyes which is common in orange tabbies. Siamese cats or mixes always have blue eyes. He also doesn't have the triangular face/coloring of a modern Siamese or even the traditional Siamese. Being that you rescued him it would be very unlikely that a purebred Siamese mated with a domestic cat. People normally don't just let there Siamese cats roam around outside to breed. A lot of cats are vocal it doesn't mean that he's a Siamese. I've owned many domestic cats that were vocal. Either way he's beautiful[emoji]9786[/emoji]

haleyds

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
D dixielandcats Siamese mixes don't always have to have blue eyes, as StefanZ said above, if the father was a Siamese then the male kittens would have gotten their coloration from their mother and therefore their eye color would also be based off of her.
Genetics of cats play back 100s of generations sometimes and random coloring can show up at any point of time. That being said, this cat could be a mix, but we will never really know. He could have even had a grandparent be a Siamese. But he does have a oriental face shape so it narrows it down to one of those breeds in his ancestry, whether it be recent or not.

imjustacatmom

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
@DixieLandCats
Thank you so much...and I'm inclined to agree with you about the cat not being a Siamese mix...anyhoo I guess the point is people can speculate till the cows come home...with that being said I hope eveyone has a great weekend [emoji]128518[/emoji]

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My first cats as a child were half Siamese. Or so we were told by the mother's owner----we never saw the mother (they were giving the kittens away at a garage sale) but I do believe it because the calico was very loud and opinionated :lol3:. Her sister was a dark tabby and very quiet, so you just never know what traits they'll inherit. Pet Siamese can run outside as well as any cat ;). Their mother had to have have been a tortie point because their brother was a red tabby (we didn't adopt him; our neighbor did). None of the kittens had blue eyes.

So anyway, yes, Siamese mixes can look like anything. If you look on Siamese rescue sites you can see confirmed Siamese mama cats with their mixed litters, lots of different colors. So maybe he is. No way to know for sure unless you know who his parent are! And while purebred mixes are pretty rare, Siamese are more popular than most other breeds so there are a lot more Siamese mixes than mixes of other breeds.

Last edited:

lalnable

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
thank you everyone :> I will keep every ones opinions in mind :3 I do believe he has Siamese ancestry since he doesn't really fit the mold of just a standard cat for example the black/brown tiny bit of fur I mentioned is on where his points would be :> I will take more pictures when the poor little guy feels better he atm has an ear infection from the shelter where we got him from D: so atm he is pretty :l mom don't bug me sorta mood XD

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Hey can you test cat blood like you can human blood to find out its DNA?
Yes, there are nowadays commercial tests.  How reliable they are, Im not sure, but the theory is rather sound and serious scientists worked on it.