help we have kittens

michelle mayall

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
so far we have 2 kittens mum washed them and chewed the cord but has jumped out of her box and left the babies in there do i put mum back?

solaritybengals

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Congratulations! Yes they need to be kept warm. If she is not in there I would put a rice heater or heating pad in with them. She might be looking for food. I would bring her food to the nest.

solaritybengals

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yes 3-5 oz is a normal birth weight. Just keep watch that they gain weight everyday. Mine were born in the morning and by late afternoon they had already gained a half-ounce just from milk-filled bellies.

Also make sure they are thoroughly dried off.

wookie130

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yes, 3 oz. is really what they should weigh at birth...and they should gain a half ounce a day. Is she nursing?

Does she act like she's finished, or could there be more babies?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

michelle mayall

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
she is still in labour but the babies arent nursing at all mum keeps leaving the bed ive gave her her food water litter tray with shredded paper and ive put the heat pad on one side of the bed

solaritybengals

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Just make sure its not to hot. You can put a towel over it too just to buffer the temperature. But that extra heat source is usually nice. Until mom had settled down I had the kitties on a heat pad that you put in the microwave. But once mom was ready to nurse they were fine with her body heat.

Does she look like shes done?

If you think she is done then you can change out the bedding since its probably a bit moist. I waited a bit to be sure she was done.

solaritybengals

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by michelle mayall

she is still in labour but the babies arent nursing at all mum keeps leaving the bed ive gave her her food water litter tray with shredded paper and ive put the heat pad on one side of the bed
Are you able to stay with her? You mentioned having to care for your children. She will really want you there. But sometimes first tiem moms are so nervous they don't know whats going on. Just make sure they nurse within 2 hours of birth. If you can get one of them to nurse (get it to a nipple, it will take a while for it to figure out how to latch on) then that should calm her down as she knows what she is supposed to do then. That will also help her finish labor.

michelle mayall

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
ive sent the kids upstairs with a video and snacks so im with missy she is still panting and contracting and i can still see babies moveing so im sure there is more ive put the babies on a heat pad as she gave birth on the floor the bed is fine

michelle mayall

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
there all with mum now but no one has latched on as yet i dont think mum is done either

solaritybengals

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Can you rub her tummy? Sometimes this gets them to settle down adn nurse. If she is leaving them a lot then it might be good to move her to a bathroom where she can't go far. Also putting them in a carrier (door shut) for a little while will get them to understand what they are supposed to do. Once they catch on usually they are ok, but at first they are very confused. Just have to be careful she dosne't step on babies. Can you coax her to stay in the nest with lots of love and petting?

michelle mayall

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
im sat with her giving her lots of petting only one number 3 has latched on so far but the other 2 still have had nothing its been 2 hours should i feed them