Help! Want To Make Shy Cat As Comfortable As Possible

princesapeach

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello! I recently adopted an 8 year old female from a cat adoption center in my town. With the adoption, we were given her entire medical history as her previous owner was super on top of her health so we know she's perfectly healthy. As to why she was let go and set up for adoption, she was being bullied by dogs in her previous home. When we adopted her they also told us that she would be okay in a home with other cats, which is what my roommate and I were looking for since we have a 1 and half year old male cat as well. Anyway, we bring her home and we set her up in my room, and she immediately runs under the bed, which isn't alarming considering that the place is completely new to her. We place her litter in one corner and her food, water bowl, and cat bed on another side of the room so she would have space to explore. However, it's been 2 weeks and she still has been hiding underneath the bed. We don't try to pull her out because we don't want to stress her out even more. We've tried to coax her out with string toys, and a laser pointer, which our younger cat goes crazy for. She shows interest for a while, comes out with extreme hesitation to play, and as soon as I move at all she'll run back under the bed. I don't know if she's still intimidated because of the smell of our younger resident cat or if it's the trauma from her previous home that's making her extremely on edge. She will only really come out at night when I'm in bed, to use the litter, eat and then bother me to play with her. Which is really annoying since it's right when I want to start shutting down haha. How can I shift her so she can come out and play during the day and feel more comfortable with doing her every day activities during the day? This is so long but for anyone who read, thank you!

Anne

Site Owner
Staff Member
Admin
Purraise
She's very lucky to have found such patient loving owners :redheartpump:
It's perfectly normal for cats to behave like that, especially if they are shy or perhaps had a rough patch in life. She can bounce back though, you just need patience (and sounds like you have it).

Here are a few guides with lots of tips -
How To Get A Cat To Come Out Of Hiding?
16 Top Cat Experts Share Tips For Dealing With Timid Cats
10 Must-know Tips For Happy Living With A Shy Cat

Please let us know how she's doing! And share photos, we'd love to see her!

happilyretired

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Time.

A month ago, I adopted a rescue cat (4 years old), and she hid for more than 2 weeks. I kept the litter box and food in their usual places (in other rooms), but she only emerged when I was asleep.

I spent time sitting in the room where she was hiding, talking to her softly, and leaving treats. At first, she only came out to eat the treats when I was gone, so I put my used pj top next to the treat dish to help her associate my scent with the treats.

She gradually would come out for the treats when I was there, but she would hide anytime I moved at all.

NOW she's a lap cat who sleeps with me at night! My advice is to NOT force the issue and let the cat 'develop' at her own pace.

duncanmac

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Sit on the floor in her room reading and talking to yourself and generally ignoring the cat. Eventually she will venture out a little bit - and now comes the decision: either look at her and say hi or just ignore her. After a while she will come out and sit in the open watching you - then you can be more direct with her, and maybe even reach out with your hand. I would toss treats at my shy guy - a little closer me each time - and he would creep out and back as he felt comfortable. Eventually he would take the treats right out of my hand.

A shy cat is a work in progress, but once you build up trust with her, you'll be "her person" and that's a very special bond.

lisa brady

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I'm not sure what breed your new kitty is but there are some breeds that are more cautious and have a more reserved disposition. I adopted a Russian Blue in 2009 who was almost a year old. She was very shy and startled easily. It took about 6 weeks for her to feel comfortable in her new surroundings. I provided her a place in the house that she could feel safe and that was also quiet. She still does not warm up strangers. When it comes to me, she couldn't be any sweeter. It just takes time and patience.

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hello! I recently adopted an 8 year old female from a cat adoption center in my town. With the adoption, we were given her entire medical history as her previous owner was super on top of her health so we know she's perfectly healthy. As to why she was let go and set up for adoption, she was being bullied by dogs in her previous home. When we adopted her they also told us that she would be okay in a home with other cats, which is what my roommate and I were looking for since we have a 1 and half year old male cat as well. Anyway, we bring her home and we set her up in my room, and she immediately runs under the bed, which isn't alarming considering that the place is completely new to her. We place her litter in one corner and her food, water bowl, and cat bed on another side of the room so she would have space to explore. However, it's been 2 weeks and she still has been hiding underneath the bed. We don't try to pull her out because we don't want to stress her out even more. We've tried to coax her out with string toys, and a laser pointer, which our younger cat goes crazy for. She shows interest for a while, comes out with extreme hesitation to play, and as soon as I move at all she'll run back under the bed. I don't know if she's still intimidated because of the smell of our younger resident cat or if it's the trauma from her previous home that's making her extremely on edge. She will only really come out at night when I'm in bed, to use the litter, eat and then bother me to play with her. Which is really annoying since it's right when I want to start shutting down haha. How can I shift her so she can come out and play during the day and feel more comfortable with doing her every day activities during the day? This is so long but for anyone who read, thank you!
Welcome to TCS and we appreciate the time you took to give us a detailed description of her background and the current situation. Other posters have already said what I would: TIME and PATIENCE, along with LOVE, of course! Our most recent member of the family was adopted last year at age 9 from a loving home where he lived with adults and a dog of some kind. He was initially very shy and hid under the bed for several weeks just like your new family member. Experts say to keep the new cat in her own room with everything she needs and to gradually introduce the other family members and let the new cat investigate them and the home, with supervision to make sure everyone is okay. You can also rub a towel, Tshirt or cloth on each cat and let them each smell it, because comingling personal scents is an important way cats relate to one another. Spend time with your new cat and brush, comb, stroke, have her in your lap, if she wants these things. Go slow, be patient, and she will warm up to her new family and home in time.

angels76

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I also adopted an older cats years ago. Vshe was aggressive in her other home because the owner neglected her. But when I took her she was extremely shy and hid under he'd also. She also wanted to play at night. But I gave her space, a lot of love and she became playful and sweet. She was a gentle soul. She's since passed on but just love her and spend time with her. She will become accustomed to you and your other boy.

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Time, it is the only thing that helps with cats. They hate change and your poor girl has been through a lot. I had a couple try to return a cat because it wasn't seen fro weeks, I convinced them to put treats out and sit quietly in the same room talking several times a day, she eventually came out but it took over a month! That was over ten years ago and they are with her in an assisted living now!