Help!!! Very Urgent !! Cat Post Spaying Operation

Mochicat

All About Mochi
Young Cat
Purraise
Hello! I own a 7 month old shorthair female cat named Mochi. Today she got spayed and returned home at around 2:40 PM, as we got home she started licking her sutures so I freaked out and quickly put her cone on. She still hasn’t adjusted (it’s now 9 PM) and she keeps trying to take it off. I’m paranoid because she uses her back legs to try to take off the cone, i’m scared that this is causing stretching for her stitches and can cause them to open or bleed. She’s also being really playful and trying to jump on things, I can’t put her in a bathroom or closet because my house has people going in and out constantly. I looked at her stitches and they seem to be a little weird? I’m only 17 and this is my first cat... ever. It’s my first time looking after one that got a surgery aswell and i’m very paranoid. Should I take her to a vet?

Attachments

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Mochicat

All About Mochi
Young Cat
Purraise
Hello! I own a 7 month old shorthair female cat named Mochi. Today she got spayed and returned home at around 2:40 PM, as we got home she started licking her sutures so I freaked out and quickly put her cone on. She still hasn’t adjusted (it’s now 9 PM) and she keeps trying to take it off. I’m paranoid because she uses her back legs to try to take off the cone, i’m scared that this is causing stretching for her stitches and can cause them to open or bleed. She’s also being really playful and trying to jump on things, I can’t put her in a bathroom or closet because my house has people going in and out constantly. I looked at her stitches and they seem to be a little weird? I’m only 17 and this is my first cat... ever. It’s my first time looking after one that got a surgery aswell and i’m very paranoid. Should I take her to a vet?

Attachments

Mochicat

All About Mochi
Young Cat
Purraise

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Looks like it was done keyhole-style. Very nice! Was she done at a high-volume spay clinic or a regular vet? Anyway, spay clinics usually do a lot of ferals, who are released right after they recover from the anesthetic. So they tend to tie things up tight so there won't be a problem. Newer vets may also use this technique.

Go ahead and take the cone off, she can lick the incision, don't interfere unless she really starts chewing on the area. Most cats do just fine with no intervetion, and since there are no external stitches there's less chance of anything popping open. Stress can cause more problems, and if the cone causes her stress that's worse than a little licking.

catsknowme

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I don't see any alarming redness or oozing. I agree with Willowy - take the cone off. I have had cats who licked their stitches but they healed fine.

Feral Cat Mom

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hey she looks fine to me. I wouldn't worry about her. I had a outdoor cat that I had spayed and she was very active right after her surgery climbing,running around,etc. I freaked out at the time too but she did just fine. If you really wanted to you could call the vet but I th

Mochicat

All About Mochi
Young Cat
Purraise
Looks like it was done keyhole-style. Very nice! Was she done at a high-volume spay clinic or a regular vet? Anyway, spay clinics usually do a lot of ferals, who are released right after they recover from the anesthetic. So they tend to tie things up tight so there won't be a problem. Newer vets may also use this technique.

Go ahead and take the cone off, she can lick the incision, don't interfere unless she really starts chewing on the area. Most cats do just fine with no intervetion, and since there are no external stitches there's less chance of anything popping open. Stress can cause more problems, and if the cone causes her stress that's worse than a little licking.
I got her done at my local Humane Society for around $40!! I also got her shots done here and microchipping :-) Thank you so much for making me ease my worries!! She’s now adjusted to the cone and eating well, i’ll probably keep it on until Sunday and take it off before I return to school. Again, thank you!

Mochicat

All About Mochi
Young Cat
Purraise
Hey she looks fine to me. I wouldn't worry about her. I had a outdoor cat that I had spayed and she was very active right after her surgery climbing,running around,etc. I freaked out at the time too but she did just fine. If you really wanted to you could call the vet but I th
Mochi, too, is a very active outdoor cat! Main reason on as to why I spayed her (apart from reading it was better to do so for their health) my street has a bit of a cat problem! I rescued her and her siblings (wasn’t able to catch the mom) after she was given birth to in my back yard!! I’ve raised her since she was a new born. Anyway, thank you for helping me ease my worries!

catsknowme

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
:cheerleader: Awesome update! And kudos to you for doing your part to reduce the community cat problem - it really does help immensely! Only about 30% of unassisted feral kittens survive to an adulthood which lasts about 2-3 years - that means a lot of sad endings for lots of cats &kittens; fortunately, we humans can change that.

Mochicat

All About Mochi
Young Cat
Purraise
Update on Mochi: she’s doing really well! She tries to go outside but I’m doing well at keeping her in. I monitor her stitches once in the morning and once before I go to bed. Don’t think she completely understands the cone? Haha she tries to lick her stomach while its on!! I’ll try to insert a video! Thank u guys!

catsknowme

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Very,very adorable :lovecat: She is so precious. That little tongue tip is so cute! I am glad that she continues to heal well. Soon this will all be behind you both and the future looks bright :sunshine:

houseofnine

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I hope you can keep your baby indoors permanently--she will be healthier and happier. Plus she won't bring bugs into the house. Good for you, being a great kitty mama and getting her spayed at a young age!

Feral Cat Mom

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Aw she's adorable. Reminds me of one of the cats I rescued. I lost her last spring though. Anyway glad she's doing good!

Lindzee2018

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
We just got a kitten not too long ago who was spayed the day we got her from the shelter. She liked her suture, jumped around and did everything a normal kitten does. Eventually even having fluid built up in the suture area. When we took her to her first vet appointment they told us its completely normal and okay. ( hers looked worse than your kitties the first day )