Help urgently please, new mum had 3 kittens

StellasMamma

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello
My cat Stella gave birth this morning. She is a first time mum and we were woken by a thud on the bathroom floor outside her litter box at 3am (en suite to our bedroom). She darted across the room and nestled into her nesting box straight away.
When I got out of bed I grabbed my kit and went to see her but didn’t see anything beside her so went and checked the bathroom to find a kitten in its sac on the floor. I opened the sac and rubbed the kitten until it started breathing then gave it to mum who started cleaning it.
Shortly after she had another and 3 hours later she had her 3rd and final kitten. She allowed me to pet her and help her the whole night.
Couple of issues -
The first kitten didn’t latch on regardless of how much help I offered so I went to the vets this morning and picked up a syringe and formula and have been feeding every couple of hours. Mum was quite alert when I was doing this but was keen to have the kitten back so I have been putting her back in with her.
Now tonight she seems super tweaked and annoyed, she keeps hitting the kittens (all of them) with her paws and lying on top of them. She has also mouthed their heads and has been loudly mewowing and swishing her tail.
Also the 3rd kitten whistles at times when breathing.
Any advice welcome please, so worried she is trying to harm her babies.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Veteran
Purraise
Hi
Keep a close eye on things especially if mom won't let them eat. If you can weigh them that would help you to know if they're getting enough.

The whistling one requires a vet visit since his airway is likely compromised which could complicate things if you end up have to handfeed him. Hang in there !

Last edited:

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Well, first of all, get mum spayed when the kittens who remain are 8 weeks old. Do not let her out to get pregnant agsin.

Next, if mom is still agitated, she either has one more kitten to deliver or she is simply hormonal and will settle more in the next 48 hours.

The kitten who is whistling needs antibiotics. It usually means the kitten is having breathing issues. This requires a vet visit and antibiotics to cure the problem. See a vet ASAP or the kitten may not make it.

Hopefully mom will settle down soon. It sounds like her hormones are in high gear.

Keep us posted!

Last edited: