Help Training A Kitten

4veatquevale

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I adopted a kitten a month ago and it's my first cat ever. She's really playful, and likes to bite me (really hard, I've got a lot of scratches on my arms hands and legs) while we play. I would really like to stop this behavior while she's still young. I've read online that spraying water is a way to train them but she doesn't mind the water at all, she just keeps going. Anyone has some suggestions on how to train her? Thank you

jen

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The best way to stop them from biting at your hands is to not ever use your hands to play with the cat. Hands are for carrying, nice gentle pets, brushing. But play time use toys, wands, laser pointers. If she tries to go after your hands anyway, ignore her or distract her. Cats really don't much respond to dicipline.

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise

danteshuman

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
How big is she? I agree with hands are for petting, toys are for playing. With wee kittens (2 months) I just shoved my finger more in their mouth until they start to back away when they bit me. When they hit 3 months or older I just said "OWWWWWWWW!" and then ignored them for 15-30 minutes. So it teaches them to not attack you. Some cats take longer to learn but most cats get it within a couple of weeks.
*My bud Dante only got toys on ribbons or wands or tossed away from me because he got so into it when playing he forgot to be aware of his surroundings... like my hands ... or the edge of the bed he falls off of :rolleyes::flail: which I laugh at him for ;)