Help tp identify the breed of my cat

jefferd18

Ms. Jeff's Legacy
Top Cat
Purraise
Wow isn't she unique looking, a real beauty.
Oh gosh, she could be any number of breeds when it comes to her heritage. She could have angora in her, she could have Turkish. I would say that her face needs to be flatter for me to go with Persian, but that is just my guess.

Maria Bayote

Mama of 4 Cats, 4 Dogs , 2 Budgies & 2 Humans
Top Cat
Purraise
I do not know much of breeds. All I can say is she is a genuine BEAUTY. Congratulations! And welcome to TCS!

Mrsty1203

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
HI,

Need your help to identify the breed of my cat. she was given to me by my sister. She said she is Persian/Turkish.

Thanks,

nidz
I was recently told by someone that you can get a DNA test on your pet to find out their breed/breeds. Someone I know did it with a dog they adopted and the shelter was way off on what his mixed breeds were. Now they understand him much better! Something about swabbing their mouth and sending off the swab to the lab. She said her vet didn’t do it, she was able to get a kit mailed to her from online.

lutece

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I was recently told by someone that you can get a DNA test on your pet to find out their breed/breeds. Someone I know did it with a dog they adopted and the shelter was way off on what his mixed breeds were. Now they understand him much better! Something about swabbing their mouth and sending off the swab to the lab. She said her vet didn’t do it, she was able to get a kit mailed to her from online.
DNA ancestry tests for cats do not work the same way as they do for dogs. "Mixed-breed" dogs actually do have mixtures of breeds in their ancestry that can be detected by a test. However, the vast majority of cats simply don't have breed ancestry at all.

Here's another post with more details about the two DNA ancestry tests that are currently available for cats.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
DNA ancestry tests for cats do not work the same way as they do for dogs. "Mixed-breed" dogs actually do have mixtures of breeds in their ancestry that can be detected by a test. However, the vast majority of cats simply don't have breed ancestry at all.

Here's another post with more details about the two DNA ancestry tests that are currently available for cats.
[/URL]
Hey, can you take a look at the OP's pic ( nidzms nidzms ) of their cat and advise them of your opinion? I always trust your descriptions and would like to hear what you think!! Thanks!

Mrsty1203

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise

[/URL]
Interesting, thank you....

lutece

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hey, can you take a look at the OP's pic ( nidzms nidzms ) of their cat and advise them of your opinion? I always trust your descriptions and would like to hear what you think!! Thanks!
I'm not seeing obvious indications of specific breed ancestry in the OP's picture. I agree with jefferd18 jefferd18 that Persian breed ancestry doesn't seem likely, since a cat with recent Persian ancestors, even moderate "doll faced" Persians, would normally have a very different look. You would expect to see features such as a broader and shorter face, snubbed nose, smaller ears, rounder eyes, more compact body style, longer coat, etc.

nidzms nidzms what part of the world are you located in? In some countries, terms like "Persian" and "Turkish" are used more loosely to refer to longhaired cats in general.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

nidzms

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I'm not seeing obvious indications of specific breed ancestry in the OP's picture. I agree with jefferd18 jefferd18 that Persian breed ancestry doesn't seem likely, since a cat with recent Persian ancestors, even moderate "doll faced" Persians, would normally have a very different look. You would expect to see features such as a broader and shorter face, snubbed nose, smaller ears, rounder eyes, more compact body style, longer coat, etc.

nidzms nidzms what part of the world are you located in? In some countries, terms like "Persian" and "Turkish" are used more loosely to refer to longhaired cats in general.
Hi Lutece,

Saudi Arabia.

nidzms

lutece

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Ok, that's pretty much what I expected. Many people in the Middle East have longhaired cats that are also sometimes known as "Shirazi" or "Shirazi Persian." Sometimes these cats look more like a doll-faced Persian (that is, with more Persian features than your cat), while other cats look more slender. "Shirazi Persian" is not really an official breed, and some of these cats have Persian breed ancestry, while others are simply domestic longhairs, or a mixture of the two.

Of course, all cat breeds were originally developed from domestic longhaired or shorthaired cats from different parts of the world. The Persian and (Turkish) Angora breeds started out with domestic longhaired cats originating in the Middle East. These breeds developed in different directions over the past 150 years, with the Persian becoming more compact and rounded, and the (Turkish) Angora becoming more slender. So if you look back far enough, both breeds have some shared history, and they also share history with other longhaired cats in the Middle East.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

nidzms

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Ok, that's pretty much what I expected. Many people in the Middle East have longhaired cats that are also sometimes known as "Shirazi" or "Shirazi Persian." Sometimes these cats look more like a doll-faced Persian (that is, with more Persian features than your cat), while other cats look more slender. "Shirazi Persian" is not really an official breed, and some of these cats have Persian breed ancestry, while others are simply domestic longhairs, or a mixture of the two.

Of course, all cat breeds were originally developed from domestic longhaired or shorthaired cats from different parts of the world. The Persian and (Turkish) Angora breeds started out with domestic longhaired cats originating in the Middle East. These breeds developed in different directions over the past 150 years, with the Persian becoming more compact and rounded, and the (Turkish) Angora becoming more slender. So if you look back far enough, both breeds have some shared history, and they also share history with other longhaired cats in the Middle East.
Hi Lutece,

I see.. That's why i remember when i went to PET SHOP (SOUQ) here i saw lots of cats i tried to ask the breed mostly they told me Shirazi nobody told me PERSIAN but the looks in the cat its PERSIAN. I did not see any other breed here i mean mostly common here Shirazi/Shirazi Persian.

Thanks a lot for all your comments atleast i've got some ideas about cat breeds.

BTW, I'm an expat working here in KSA and my wife already loved this cat and we are planning to bring her home to our country once our contract will finish this year. :)

Thanks,
nidzms