HELP! Tongue Ulcers

pekoe boo

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
hello everyone,
my sweet 1 year old cat, Pekoe, has developed tongue ulcerations. I was wondering if anyone else has any experience with this. the vet gave her a cortisone injection and prescribed Clinsol (clindamycon hydrocloride) 25 mgs two times per day. Does anyone know how she got this or what we can do to make her more comfortable? She is in soo much pain and is not eating and i haven't seen her drink. Anyone, PLEASE HELP MY PEKOE!! Thanks in advance for any help
~Amber

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

pekoe boo

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
i'm not sure what you mean by that. They are not from rodents if that's what you mean? They look like small, red bumps all over her tongue.

stephenq

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Does she have any other symptoms? Any Upper respiratory symptoms?

You may want to discuss hand feeding (with a feeding syringe) using stage one baby food to keep her fed and hydrated into she can eat on her own. Baby food is very soft and less painful, and is easier to get in the syringe as well. If this doesn't work your vet may decide a IV feeding tube is warrented.

pekoe boo

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
no other symptoms, the vet checked her out and it's one of three things with long fancy names that i don't remember. i know one of them is a virus. when their office opens up i am going to call and find out the exact names. She licked a tiny bit of the prescription A/D food this morning and i have benn trying to offer her this throughout the day.

pekoe boo

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
she has been vaccinated against calicivirus and is up to date on all shots. i called the vet and she mentioned stromatitis or stamatitis or something along those lines and her chart mentions uramic ulcers, which i think are her tongue ulcers. She did eat a spoonful of the A/D food today. Does this mean anything to anyone? Please help.

pekoe boo

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
i just read up on this and it looks really serious!! she can have this forever and her teeth may have to be pulled out and put on fluids daily. i really really hope this is not the case. my poor pekoe. i just don't understand how she got it? i mean we have a foster kitten but all of her tests came up negative. Does anyone know of any other ways to treat this or how she got it?

coaster

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
But you said the ulcers were just on her tongue. I don't understand why she would need her teeth pulled?
That article said just the affected teeth would need to be pulled, and pulling them all is a last resort. And if none of Pekoe's teeth are affected, it seems to me a good outcome is possible. And it sounds as if the vet has started the appropriate treatment. I hope and think all will be well!!

stephenq

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by coaster

Is it calici virus? Your poor little kitty must be very uncomfortable.
You'd expect other symptoms with calici, and usually the sores are white. Vaccination does not provide complete protection however, but the cat would have to have direct contact with the virus (via another cat or a person who recently touched an infected cat) to get it.

mlmcats

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I've had several cats with Stomatitis, and this doesn't sound like that. Tongue ulcers are almost always Calici, at least here. The medication your vet has her on fits the treatment for Calici also, and vaccines are NEVER a 100% guarantee. If she's the only cat in the household, I can't imagine how she would have gotten it, though. I'd definitely call your vet on Sat. and ask if she needs "Sub Q fluids" to keep her from becoming dehydrated. You can also liquify A/D and force-feed her that with a syringe.
Good luck! Until the meds kick in, it's tough to watch them suffer, I know, but you're doing your best. Hang in there

coaster

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hmmmm....stomatitis vs. calici. Now after reading back over your posts more carefully, I see you mention uremic ulcers. This is a symptom of kidney disease. Does that sound like what the vet was talking about?

Mouth and tongue ulcers, common in CRF cats, can cause discomfort and may prevent a cat from eating, thus causing substantial weight loss. In some cases, ulcers may extend into the esophagus. There may be an indicative odor from the cat's mouth. The mouth should be checked frequently by you and your veterinarian. Antibiotics and human ulcer medications (compounded to cat-size dosage) are available to heal mouth ulcers.
from this website:http://www.felinecrf.com/what0.htm
(look under "Related Problems")

Or is it that the vet says your cat has both? I don't know....if it was me, I think I'd want to call the vet and have the diagnosis clarified. I know it's easy for a lot of what a doctor says to fly right over my head when I'm in the office.

pekoe boo

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
i foster kittens and i have a new one who came into the house and a few days later was when i noticed Pekoe not eating and her tongue ulcers. the kitten tested negative for everything. However i can't help but assume that the tests showed a false negative and she brought something into the house.

Pekoe is eating the a/d food and she looks better however she is still grinding her teeth and brushing her paws over her mouth all the time. i think the tongue ulcers itch and it's driving her crazy. but at least she is eating.

My other concern is not spreading it to my 2 other cats, Alice who is upwards of 14 and Boo who is 2 1/2. Boo is a hearty cat and rarely gets sick but today i noticed smelly breath and i saw her brush her paw over her mouth a couple of times. Alice is old and very delicate, she seems to pik up everything, but for some reason, knock on wood, she is fine right now.

Does anyone have any suggestions for preventing this from spreading to my other cats? Pekoe is seperated from everyone else.

I will be calling the vet today and let you know what i find out.

terryttt

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
my friend cat had one sore on tongue it was diabetes.antibotics.yours cat  could be something it chewed on or could be infection.kidneys too.or virus.

shani rigby

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My cat has ulcers on her tongue. She already has all of her teeth pulled for stomatitis. The vet told me the ulcers are caused by kidney disease which she has. She is 21 years old though, so I'm feeding her through a syringe to avoid the tongue. She tries to eat, but it really bothers her. It must be so sore poor thing :(