Help!!! The X-Pack is orphaned!!!

katkisses

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I am SO happy you got her back!!!!!!!!! How did you end up catching her?

As for the evil lady..... there were many better ways that she could have handled that situation. It was not YOUR fault, I don't care what she says! You shouldn't have been given a FERAL for a FIRST FOSTER! On top of that, they never told you she was feral! Please make a complaint on that woman to someone over her! Make sure that the person who owns this place is aware about what has been goig on. Don't let the fear of them turning you away prevent you, it was thier fault and anyone with a brain can see that! In the event that they do turn you away, there are PLENTY other foster places that arn't RUDE!

I am so sorry that you went thogh all of this, and it's your first foster to boot! Like I said, I don't care what she said, you are doing a FABULOUS JOB!!!!!!! You deserve a pat on the back for all of this... this crap you've been going though and your dedication.
*hugs*

addiebee

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
OK - first -- I volunteer with an animal rescue group, as do many other people on this site. I can attest to the fact that some people who run these groups have no people skills. I made the rounds of several groups and was treated badly, yelled at, insulted, etc., until I found the group I am with now.

Once those kittens are ready to go, and you want to continue to foster, find another group to help.

Volunteers, especially those willing to devote their time and their homes to fostering, are worth their weight in gold, so you have the upper hand in this.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

belongstoevie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Ah, everyone is happy and reunited again!
Though honestly, I think the kittens like us better than their mommy!
She's not a bad mommy, but she's not very good, either.

Originally Posted by KatKisses

I am SO happy you got her back!!!!!!!!! How did you end up catching her?
We caught her using every trick in the book, that I could find here on TCS, and using the ideas you guys gave in this thread. We did NOT use any of the advice the rescue group gave us, 'cause gee, they didn't give us any...

I ended up having to go out and buy a trap (for almost $90!!!) since none were available to rent that weekend. I then loaded it with the concoction I had made for her (if you've read some of the threads on her, she hadn't been eating very well, and I have to make special food for her), which includues really mushy, fat-laden kitten wet food. To that, I added a good hunk of water-based tuna and KFC. Then I brought the bedding that smells like her and her babies, and some of her litter. Then, I brought her babies right down to the window right above the trap, so their scent wafted down to it, and their cries were right there for her to follow. When they were asleep, I had baby cries playing. And she was caught exactly 47 hours after escaping.

Originally Posted by AddieBee

Once those kittens are ready to go, and you want to continue to foster, find another group to help.

Volunteers, especially those willing to devote their time and their homes to fostering, are worth their weight in gold, so you have the upper hand in this.
Thanks.
After the way she treated me, I've been seriously doubting my capabilities to be a foster. I'm sure she won't take us back, and I'm worried she'll talk to other fosters and tell them not to work with me. If I do continue fostering, it will definitely be with another group.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

belongstoevie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by KatKisses

Please make a complaint on that woman to someone over her! Make sure that the person who owns this place is aware about what has been goig on.
Oh, and that lady IS the one that owns and runs the group...

hissy

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I figured mom would come back, she was probably in heat and wanting a tom- now she is more than likely pregnant. I would call the rescue group and let them know this and ask them to come and pick her up pronto for a spay. If they are a responsible group they will do so. The milk will drop 24 hours after surgery.

On the screen note, you can safely open your window without a cat escaping by visiting a local Home Depot, or whatever is in your area. Go to the lumber department and ask for plastic trellis- it comes in so many decorative patterns. Buy one panel and if you can't cut it yourself at home, then ask them to it. Cut it to fit your screened area of your window. It pops in and out with those of us with opposable thumbs by just inserting 4 screws, one in each corner. The cats can't open the screen through the trellis, and the holes allow the air to come through. All our windows have these on them and the only caution I would add is make sure that the holes are small enough that a cat or kitten can't get stuck in them! You can open the close the window at will once these are installed and feel perfectly safe that your cats and kittens can't get out.

Most of us who rescue do have horrible people skills. We see so much neglect and cruelty we have a hard time believing in the good of people. But your cat was probably in heat- and I would be hard-pressed without adequate protection to be able to keep a queen in heat inside especially when the toms are outside either spraying invitations on the bushes or the side of your home or the window.

I would call the woman back and tell her that you are still interested in fostering ferals- there are so many who can't do this and you don't impress me as someone with no skills with these totally misunderstood and beautiful cats.

MA

emmylou

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I second the advice to find a different group to work with. This is supposed to be a positive experience, and there's no reason you should have to deal with unpleasant people and add stress to your life. It's unlikely that some sort of word will get around about you, even though this woman sounds like a nasty piece of work and may not be above threatening you with her imaginary power. Just dissociate yourself completely from these people and offer your help somewhere else.