Help! Swollen paw in one day old

Anniedillon

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Picture for reference. One day old kitten, may have been stepped on by another cat, unsure. Have been syringe feeding and stimulating myself as mama cat is sick and unwilling. She's actually hiding somewhere in my house. It was fine last night and had been eating, is unwilling to now. I have an appointment for sick mom in two days, and will bring them with when I do go however I was hoping someone knew of something I could do, or if anyone has been through this and had the baby survive? They have been on a warm heating pad in a quiet room but my male cat got in there and was snuggling them when I pulled him out to feed them and noticed this.

Attachments

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Anniedillon

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank for your input. I do have a family friend whom works at a rescue coming to assess the situation. This is not my cat who's babies im taking care of and I do have pets of my own that I am taking care of, so im really doing my best.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Anniedillon

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
They do! And when I grabbed my male, he wasn't standing near where they were huddled so I'm just wondering if he maybe threw a clot?? They are a week premature so it could be from that.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
The kitten is more than a week premature because it has no fur. Kittens get their fur the last 2 weeks in utero. IF the kitten survives, it will likely lose that paw. It looks like it has gangrene from loss of blood supply. Kitten needs to be syringe or tube fed. It also looks like one of the hind paws may be in a similar situation.

How many kittens are there? Are any of them nursing? If not, they all need to be in an incubator and hand reared.

In what way is mom sick? Is she bleeding? Lethargic? Mastitis? She may need calcium right away. Low calcium is serious.

Unfortunately, this whole situation is precarious, and the outcome may not be good. Mom and babies all need emergency care immediately!

Please keep us posted!

A Anniedillon

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Picture for reference. One day old kitten, may have been stepped on by another cat, unsure. Have been syringe feeding and stimulating myself as mama cat is sick and unwilling. She's actually hiding somewhere in my house. It was fine last night and had been eating, is unwilling to now. I have an appointment for sick mom in two days, and will bring them with when I do go however I was hoping someone knew of something I could do, or if anyone has been through this and had the baby survive? They have been on a warm heating pad in a quiet room but my male cat got in there and was snuggling them when I pulled him out to feed them and noticed this.
Are they by any possibility naked cats? The Don or Sphynx? If so, it could explain the nakedness.... And thus, they are perhaps not that much premature... Because its difficult to calculate the exact pregnancy time, if you dont know for sure the dates.
A full week premature they seldom survive... That is why I hope they are naked cats. Or at least, this one had a spontan mutation. Its rare, but not unheard of...
How is it with the other littermates?

OK, you are already hand feeding, Are they adding in weigh? How much per 12 hours or a day? 10+ grammes a day?
If this works, good, proceed with that. What kmr do you use? Do you have access to raw goats milk?

But if they dont add, a safer try is with tube feeding.... This is not easy, and dangerous for a newbe. Someone must show you how to do it.
But in difficult cases alike prematures, its often the life saving...

Be sure there is heating. An IR-heating lamp is good. Such as is used for lizard terraries. Or a rheumatic persons use. If nothing else, it will help the kitten wont be cooled off when you handfeed.

Massage and stroke the sick kitten with your fingertips. It feels almost as mommas caressess...

The paw looks nasty, and kitten should have immediate help by experienced vet, amputation is probably needed; but its not unusual kittens can survive such conditions; it doesnt not always go into an overall blood sepsis and death. With any luck it goes self amputating... A cat manages just fine on 3 legs, if there are not any other big complications.

So, the perspectives are very dark, but with luck, your vigorous fight and Gods help, not hopeless.

If you have access to antibiotics, it may perhaps help with smearing the paw with these... If you dont have, you may try smear with raw honey. Raw crushed garlic or onions may perhaps be useful, because a little kitten wont lick it off himself. If desperate enough, its worth a try. (garlic and onion is poisonous to cats)

Last. What did your male cat do? If it was friendly to the kittens and warmed them up (you write snuggled with them), he may perhaps act as a foster mom?? Quite a few friendly males do so, sometimes better than a female non mom.