Help? Sudden extreme behavior.

julford

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Sorry if this is the wrong subforum, wasn't sure where else to post this.

Earlier tonight (About an hour ago), my normally very relaxed cat suddenly got up, bolted across my bed with all her claws out, then ran and hid in various corners of the house. For about half an hour I simply followed her from location to location where I just sat back and watched; she didn't seem to be breathing heavily or otherwise scared, she just didn't want anyone near her.

After that half an hour I got the idea to lure her out with food; I got out a can of tuna, put some of the juice in a bowl, and set it down about ten feet away from her. She came out to drink it before my other cat, one she is normally dominant over, came nearby; as soon as they made eye contact she shied away and went to hide under my bed, where she hasn't moved from since.

I kinda mentioned it up above, but normally this cat is incredibly calm at most hours of the day. We took her in as an adult stray about five years ago, and she warmed up to us VERY quickly; while she exerted dominance over both the male cats and all three dogs in our house, typically by picking fights with them when-the-hell-ever she pleased, she has always been very kind to people, and is especially fond of being carried/handled. While she doesn't pick fights with the other animals anymore, she is still the boss cat and typically she is the one taking THEIR food.

I'm just worried that something is seriously wrong with her, and was wondering if anyone might have an idea what's wrong or could link me to another site that could help me out. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

catsallaround

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
were you asleep or awake. is it possible a cat spooked her or a sound/sight did? What type of area are you in-country(animals mating may have triggered it) or city(a truck maybe?)

I would try to seperate her till you can get to a vet and rule out anything serious going on.

I would not hold her much if she spooks you may get a nasty bite try to keep her on ground and in a safe room.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

julford

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I was sitting on my bed, playing a game on the computer (Which is nothing unusual, my computer stand is a TV tray next to the bed and it never leaves this location). She was sitting on the bed as well, tucked in a corner where nothing can get to her without me seeing it (The bed is in a corner of the room, and is her usual spot during all hours of the day). I wasn't doing anything that would've excited or startled her, and nothing was going on outside. Nothing loud, nothing suddenly touching her, just all of a sudden she was up and out the door of the bedroom and upstairs under a desk.

I live in a city suberb, btw. My house is far enough away from any heavily used roads that no sound reaches us, and nothing else was going on in the room at that moment; as for interaction with the cat, I've left her alone under my bed for now. She doesn't flinch when I reach for her, and leans into my scratching like normal; I can even feel her purring slightly.

farleyv

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My daughters cat, Beefy, used to growl and hiss for no apparant reason shortly after eating.

A vet visit turned up a possible "sensitive stomach" and she began giving her smaller amounts of food. She obviously had stomach pains.

Im not saying its stomach involved, but it could have been a sudden pain and cats just don't understand that....they think it came from some external force rather than their own body

I would have the vet give her a good look over. I hope it is nothing serious and she bounces back to herself quick.

Keep us posted if you can.

hissy

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Several things- she could have gotten attacked or ambushed earlier in the day, or simply just scared and you are witnessing the aftermath. They don't always respond right after the attack. My cats will get like this right before a bad storm hits the area. Usually about a day or two in advance they get a bit squirrely. If she is eating and drinking, not missing the litter pan and this is a one-time behavior, I woudn't be that worried about it. Just give her some space and see how she does. If the behavior is repeated several times, then I would be concerned.

naps with cats

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
This is exactly what my seizure cat's first seizure was like, sounds very similar.

Was the tail fluffed (like ready for a fight?).

With seizures in cats, they do not know who you are, they do not know where to go and they definitely do not want to be touched - the neurons in their brain are burning up.

If you think your cat may have had a seizure, a vet visit is a definite. They can take x-rays to see any damage or if it was something else.

If this happens again and your cat is a seizure cat (after seeing the vet for confirmation), grab a few cool (not cold) cloths to to drip over his head, back and paws, then leave the cool clothes laying on kitty's head and back and take to emergency if it lasts over 3 minutes (some say 5, some say 3, I say better safe than sorry). If it is seizures, they will give kitty Phenobarbitol for life, 2x/day as close to 12 hours apart as possible. (It's really inexpensive at Costco, just have your vet write a 'script).

I would definitely get that x-ray, though - definitely for sure!

Warmly,

Julie O'
Red Cross Certified in Dog and Cat Emergency First Aid

feralvr

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Hi
. Sometimes our cats can hear something we cannot. She might have heard something that frightened her. Also, she might have seen something outside earlier that has her spooked and she might just be hypervigiliant about what she saw earlier. So her hearing is on high alert too for whatever it was. That is what I think is going on.

julford

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I did not get a good look at her tail- she was out of the room in less than a second, and it took a good five-ten minutes to find her. By then she was calm, but just did not want any sort of physical contact.

Sadly she has disappeared at the moment, so I don't know if she's ok; we live in a large house, and there are a lot of nooks and crannies that a cat could hide in. We're currently tearing the house apart trying to find her, but we know she's in the house somewhere, since all windows/doors are shut (It's cold outside!)

naps with cats

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Just in case it was a seizure, seizure cats take a couple of days to become un-discombobulated and know where they are. It's like a disassociative event. They're laying there on their comfy spot on the bed - the seizure takes place - they are unaware during the entirety of it as to what's going on, they don't know who you are, where they are, totally freaked. Coming out of it they are generally lethargic and a bit frightened because now they realize they are in a different spot in the house when, just a second ago to them they were in their comfy spot. (I know this feeling personally as well - I disassociate).

I'd just keep looking and calling her name in soft tones, no loud tones asking if she's hungry, you love her, etc. Did you check under chairs? Every once in awhile a couple of my cats hide under my kickback chair. I ended up cutting out the entire back side (lol) so I could get them easier than lifting the chair. It's a very safe place for cats.

Please let us know when you find her? Sorry you're going through this and I hope she walks out really soon with a big hug waiting for you!

Warmly,

Julie O'

Originally Posted by Julford

I did not get a good look at her tail- she was out of the room in less than a second, and it took a good five-ten minutes to find her. By then she was calm, but just did not want any sort of physical contact.

Sadly she has disappeared at the moment, so I don't know if she's ok; we live in a large house, and there are a lot of nooks and crannies that a cat could hide in. We're currently tearing the house apart trying to find her, but we know she's in the house somewhere, since all windows/doors are shut (It's cold outside!)

feralvr

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Oh dear, I hope you can find her very soon. She must really be scared about something and I hope it is not something medical going on. Please let us know when you find her in the house. Cats are so good at hiding when they are scared or sick.

julford

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Okay, she did eventually turn up around 6 hours ago, and has come into my bedroom again; she's sleeping right now under my bed in the same corner she always does. She still seems extremely flighty, but certainly less so than last night.

I'll keep you all updated once I take her to the vet, though my local vet isn't open till Monday. Thank you very much for the wishes and support!

EDIT: About five minutes after this post, sh came out from under the bed! She definitely seems to be out of it, and she's not eating, but I did get her to drink some water. After that I brought her back into the bedroom, where she's currently laying on top of my bed, purring and happy as I pet her. Still gonna at least call a vet and describe everything that happened, but do you think I need to go in if her appetite comes back?

hissy

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
After what you have described and the fact that she seems to not be herself, I would take her in. Bloodwork would definitely be a factor to consider here- they can have minor strokes, seizure disorders, feline hyperesthesia, there is a lot to consider. If you can possibly keep her confined in one room so she doesn't vanish again- that would be good.

Best of luck with her- hopefully this will turn out to be nothing

naps with cats

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Oh, absolutely get her into a vet.

By taking x-rays they can tell if she siezed or stroked.

Doesn't matter if she's eating again or not - it would still show signs and the Vet(s) would make recommendations from there. You definitely want, if seizures, to do everything possible to keep them from coming back.

Since my seizure girl has been on Phenobarbitol (which, if your beloved liked it, you can give with a pill pocket, or half of one), my little Squint-Delicious hasn't had a seizure. They may still come, but much less often. Hers happened one week apart.

None of the symptoms sound like feline Hyperesthesia to me at all (having a feline hyperesthesia cat (the same one with seizures, had the double eye surgery and has Symblepheron which I have, have, have to keep under control many times a day with CMC. Hyperesthesia is more of an overgrooming, biting (sometimes), back-twitching ("rolling back") type of disorder. Sensitive skin, don't like to be touched in certain places, but it's a long-term thing. My girl, having been through so much stress with the kill shelter, the double eye surgery, the symblepheron which can be painful, all the meds she gets 2x+ a day - she has a lot of stress and takes it out by overgrooming, but she's a ball of play, I tell ye!

But yes, definitely ASK the Vet for an x-ray so you can be sure, not just him guessing. My first vet did and even though I knew they were seizures, I wanted proof, so I went to a different vet and got the x-ray to confirm.

Let us know what the Vet has to say and what he did (if you're comfortable doing that).

Always concerned,

Julie O'