Help. Stray Cat + 2 Dogs

Kathy1127

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
hellooo so I recently moved in to my new apartment still in the same complex I lived before just a different apartment, I would see cats roaming around here and there but ever since I moved to my new one there’s a cat that doesn’t leave my building. She’s kinda of skinny and seems to be a teenager(not sure never owned a cat) she’s very sweet and loves to talk and be touched it seems like the people that used to live here left her behind so me and my husband decided to feed her and whenever we see her we always do. I would love to her in but unfortunately I already own two dogs who don’t like cats and she doesn’t seem to do well with them either and it’s starting to get tough looking after her, I’ve already contacted a cat rescue group who doesn’t have room and been trying to get in contact with a shelter but they never answer. I know that feeding her is probably our fault but we live in Florida where it can get pretty hot and she just looked so skinn we just wanted to help. It’s a lot of things I don’t know how to deal with for example One issue is that she attacked one of my dogs while taking him out she ran at him out of nowhere and ran away. 2 I tried feeding the cat away from my apartment but someone keeps throwing dirt in her water and food so she ends up looking for us waiting outside the door. 3 I’ve only known her for a week and now she won’t leabe my patio she’s been there all day and if my dogs see her they cry and scratch at the glass door and last I’m also pregnant and know I can’t do this much longer I have to be really careful idk what she carries and I know once the baby is here I won’t have the time. After the incident with her attacking one of my dogs my husband is over her and doesn’t mind just walking past her and hearing her cry, I personally just can’t do that it breaks my heart I rescued one of my dogs off the street and believe she deserves to be rescued too. I want to raise her in my balcony but I just don’t know what to do with my dogs and it’s only going to get hotter here in Florida she deserves a home, she’s always wanting to come inside once she see the dogs aren’t around so I’m guessing that means she’s hot out there or just really wants someone to be with idk. It really does break my heart seeing her out there she hasn’t left my balcony all day she’s been by the glass door this whole time idk what to do. I really need good advice or some one to take her in and care for her. Help.

Attachments

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh, that's so sad. Is there any way you could do a slow introduction to the dogs behind a gate of some sort? My brother has both dogs and cats.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Kathy1127

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I’ve been trying to do that with one of my dogs I have an American Eskimo and pit mix, the small one just wants to play I’ve shown them to each otherthrough the glass door but she won’t stop hissing and trying to attack him through the door all he wants to do is smell her then he’ll get over it and my pit has seen her a few times she’s a little weird she does this scream/cry and tries to get a little too close for the cat to get comfortable my pit doesn’t know how overwhelming she can be to small animals bcus she doesn’t know how big she is but after a while she starts to learn and get used to it. I just don’t know how the cat is going react, I’m not worried about my dogs they’ve never attacked new dogs or kids. so I don’t expect that to change for a cat and I’m afraid she’s gonna hurt one of my dogs she’s not like other cats that run away from dogs she runs at them idk how to get her comfortable with them smelling her being all over her and that’s just what my dogs do with new animals.

shadowsrescue

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
This is all quite sad. She was probably left behind and now so wants a loving home. Is there a way you could try to find a home for her? Rescue groups are full to the brim right now as are shelters since it is kitten season. You do want to be sure that she is not pregnant and also check to be sure she is spayed or you will have more than just one cat on your hand.

I have a large dog (Samoyed) and now have 6 cats all living inside. Our dog is well behaved and she learned she was not to chase the cats. While doing introductions I had her on a leash at all times. Here is an article on properly introducing dogs and cats.
How To Safely Introduce A Cat And A Dog

If you do bring her inside your home, a vet visit is a must. You want her to have a clean bill of health. Your husband would need to be on board as you should not be cleaning a litter box while pregnant. I would do your best to make her an inside only cat.

As for her going after your dog, she is only defending herself. She knows she has claws. I would not allow the dogs to be near her for now.

Since you are feeding her, you really need to see about getting her to a vet. First off, there is a slim chance that she was microchipped and has a home somewhere. It's worth a shot.

Thank you for wanting to help her.