Help! Spayed Kitten's Incision Concerns

LazyMazey

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I got my 3 month old kitten spayed on Tuesday. We took her in as a feral living in our backyard a month ago. We put her in an e-collar to prevent her from licking but she hated it and went berserk trying to get it off. She has also tried multiple times to escape and hide in the basement. As a result, I fear she has injured herself. Her incision site is not a straight line at all and some redness is visible. I'm posting a picture of the incision on Tuesday night and Wednesday night. The vet who spayed her is almost an hour away, so it wouldn't be easy to go back. She has been eating and drinking well. She doesn't appear in any pain, but she's been sleeping a lot. Does she need to see the vet or will it heal okay?

Attachments

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Her incision was glued, so thus the 'folding' of skin. That does mostly smooth out in time. She does have a small part of the incision that has pulled apart or dehiscence, but not too much and it is oozing a tiny bit of pinkish drainage, but no bright red blood which is good too, it is a sign of healing. There may be a lump felt underneath, which is swelling from the surgery and inside dissolving stitches. Being somewhat feral, the collar would have bothered her too much, I agree with you. I have had many ferals spayed, never had a collar and released them after a day or so, several after they became fully awake because it was just too traumatic for them. They all recovered. I have also had many pull their wounds apart much more than that and they are fine. It looks good, just keep an eye out for infection, oozing white/yellow/green pus, extreme swelling, and spreading redness. A sick cat usually hides too, though she may because she is traumatized. For peace of mind, you could E-mail that photo to your vet. You could also apply a wound healing spray for cats, found in most farm supply stores, by spraying it on a piece of cloth until saturated, most cats shy away from the spraying sound. I think she will be fine, just keep her as quiet as possible and make sure she eats good. You have saved her life and saved her from producing endless litters, bless you!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

LazyMazey

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Her incision was glued, so thus the 'folding' of skin. That does mostly smooth out in time. She does have a small part of the incision that has pulled apart or dehiscence, but not too much and it is oozing a tiny bit of pinkish drainage, but no bright red blood which is good too, it is a sign of healing. There may be a lump felt underneath, which is swelling from the surgery and inside dissolving stitches. Being somewhat feral, the collar would have bothered her too much, I agree with you. I have had many ferals spayed, never had a collar and released them after a day or so, several after they became fully awake because it was just too traumatic for them. They all recovered. I have also had many pull their wounds apart much more than that and they are fine. It looks good, just keep an eye out for infection, oozing white/yellow/green pus, extreme swelling, and spreading redness. A sick cat usually hides too, though she may because she is traumatized. For peace of mind, you could E-mail that photo to your vet. You could also apply a wound healing spray for cats, found in most farm supply stores, by spraying it on a piece of cloth until saturated, most cats shy away from the spraying sound. I think she will be fine, just keep her as quiet as possible and make sure she eats good. You have saved her life and saved her from producing endless litters, bless you!
Thank you for your reply! I will keep an eye on her. I will note, however, that my vet did not mention using any glue. They told me she had dissolvable stitches. This is a picture of her sister who had the same procedure done on the same day. She hasn't been as wild and was never as feral though.

Attachments

Mr. Meow

Special needs cat expert.
Super Cat
Purraise
I've had a vet recommend (if kitten will stand it better than the cone of shame) to take an Ace wrap and gently wrap around the whole midsection like a belt or a kitten skirt. That can provide more protection from bumps and any attempt to pick at the wounds.
But di and bob di and bob is 100% correct in what to watch out for.

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I don't see any sign of stitches, they are black and knotted and hang from the wound. there may be some internally. If they are so clear I can't see them that is a HUGE improvement in surgical procedures!