Help Something Wrong With My Cat

Potter386

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I added a video to my albums didn’t know where else to go all the vets around me are closed till tomorrow my beautiful cat is 21 years old and starting drooling and acting strange it’s been almost four hours and she is still doing it any ideas please?

You can see the video in my album in my profile I guess thanks everyone

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi. I watched the video. This could be anything. The one thing that comes to mind is dental issues, or something like poisoning? Does she go outside? Has she ever had dental issues before? How is she acting otherwise? If you try to feed her, will she eat? Has she vomited? Could she have eaten something that is caught in her throat?

To start with, I would check her mouth/throat. If anything progresses negatively, I would call your vet and see if there is a reference for an ER vet while during off hours. I only say this because of her age, and things can progress quickly at that age. God bless you that she has been able to get to this age. In the video, she looks very healthy, but looks can be deceiving.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Potter386

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Yeah I have had her since I was 14 I am now 34 she is my baby and have taken very good care of her just so worried. Closet er vet is 3 hours away I can’t drive that far unfortunately. I opened her mouth and looked around it looks normal except the white drool on her bottom lip

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
If she doesn't go outside, the possibility of poisoning is a bit slimmer, unless she got into something inside your house - chemicals, house plants? And, since you didn't answer anything else about her eating, vomiting, etc., I am guessing that is all OK. That being said, again because of her age, get her into the vet as soon as they open.

Keep us posted.

Potter386

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Yeah I’m gonna take her first thing in the morning. And she does not go outside except to lay on the patio sometimes but she never goes in the grass I have no chemicals to where she can access and I have her some milk but it looks like it hurts her to try and drink it. She did drink most of it but she was having a really hard time with it for sure.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
:( I hope nothing else goes on until you can get her into the vet. She is so precious already to me, so I can only imagine how you feel. Please keep us posted.

DreamerRose

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The milk itself could have made her nauseous, which could make her drool. Most cats can't tolerate milk.

Potter386

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
No it’s not the milk. she was doing this for hours before I brought her the milk to try to get her to drink something

DreamerRose

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Then she's either got a sore throat or is nauseated. You said she had a hard time getting it down, so that's what it sounds like. She really does need to go to the vet. Sending healing your way - :vibes::vibes::vibes:

Potter386

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I mean like when she was licking the milk with her tounge it looked like it was hurting her to do so. But I hope that’s all it is.

Leomc123

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
my cat MC was at the age of 20 ish years old, she was in perfect health, then all of a sudden one morning she was drooling , but she didnt want to eat only drink water. She didnt try to lick it off like your cat is trying to do, when i took her to the vet, they thought it was teeth problems after 4 days of not eating and only drinking water i went back to get her teeth fixed, instead they told me she was suffering from a failed kidney and was put down :(. I suspected poisoning because she is an outdoor cat majority of the time, my vet didnt do blood tests and told me they needed to give her fluids, but i dont think it was kidney disease, i think she got poisoned some how, it could be anti freeze from cars in the neighbour hood or someone sprayed some poisons in their yard and she may have got it on her fur and tried to lick it off. If she starts to get lethargic, and dizzy or convulsing it may be poisoning of some sort.

Potter386

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
my cat MC was at the age of 20 ish years old, she was in perfect health, then all of a sudden one morning she was drooling , but she didnt want to eat only drink water. She didnt try to lick it off like your cat is trying to do, when i took her to the vet, they thought it was teeth problems after 4 days of not eating and only drinking water i went back to get her teeth fixed, instead they told me she was suffering from a failed kidney and was put down :(. I suspected poisoning because she is an outdoor cat majority of the time, my vet didnt do blood tests and told me they needed to give her fluids, but i dont think it was kidney disease, i think she got poisoned some how, it could be anti freeze from cars in the neighbour hood or someone sprayed some poisons in their yard and she may have got it on her fur and tried to lick it off. If she starts to get lethargic, and dizzy or convulsing it may be poisoning of some sort.
I’m so sorry that sounds horrible.

profcat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
It sounds like a dental issue-- maybe a tooth or gum abscess? I hope she's ok. Please keep us updated! How lucky she is to have you for 21 years!

Potter386

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Just got back from the vet a little while ago and he pulled her tooth out that was abscessed. Thank god I’m so relived that’s all it was. I googled stuff all day yesterday and because of her age I assumed the worst. She is doing better she has already stopped drooling and is currently cleaning herself. The vet gave her antibiotics and some pain med.
thanks everyone who replied you were all very helpful.

Potter386

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I got her as a kitten who was just born her mom had died and the vet was just going to put the baby kitten to sleep. Literally took her home had to bottle feed her thought she was gonna die a few times when she was first born. This cat has literally been with me her entire life and most of mine. Don’t know what I would do without her.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Glad to hear it was just an abscessed tooth! That is great news! Did the vet tell you that maybe canned food (or dry food softened by some water) would be better for a few days, just until the gum area heals some? Did they give her antibiotics as a precaution?

Potter386

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Yes they did give her antibiotics and I’m getting her some wet food soon as I get off work.

Leomc123

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Thats great news to hear ! Thank god it was just a tooth !:bunnydance::woohoo: