Help! Someone Left A Kitten At Our Door Step

maliha

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Someone left a kitten and a packet of food in a shoe box outside our home
Its extremely thin, it keeps closing his eyes, its lethargic, its not eating anything not drinking anything and it's continuously drooling...
What should I do? Is it serious?
IMG-20170801-WA0002.jpg

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

maliha

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
And it lets out a faint meow when we touch it

abyeb

Charlie's Purrson
Veteran
Purraise
Can you take it to the vet?

Until you can get into an appointment, I'd reccommend syringe feeding pedialyte to help prevent dehydration.

daisyd

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh god please try and take kitten to vet or at least call one and ask ! Can you drip feed or anything ?

maliha

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Ive given it boiled chicken, cat food, ive given it painkiller mixed hot milk. It drank like a few sips but no more. And im afraid to touch it i think it hurts him. Ive just got one car, im planning on taking it to the vet, im waiting for my dad to get home so i can take the car. My own cat is trying to attack it but ive kept it separately in a cage

orange&white

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Poor little cat. Looks pretty serious. Thank you for helping it and getting to a veterinarian as soon as you possibly can.

Don't give it any more pain killers. There are almost no over-the-counter pain killers that are safe for cats. Your vet can prescribe a safe one. Otherwise, you're doing a great job so far. :hugs:

Draco

NOT Malfoy!
Veteran
Purraise
yes, no human meds or vet prescribed meds for the cat, it can make things worse.

Please keep us posted on how this kitty is doing. Shame on the people who abandoned him, but thankfully he got you to care for him now

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Good you separate the new kitten from yours residents. It sounds as its sick, prob dumped because its sick. So change also clothes when with this kitten, washing thoroughly hands afterwards.
What you can do at home is to give him your best home care, as you would do with a weak and or sick cat. As you try to do.
But coming to a vet is essential.

maliha

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Just came back from the vet.
He says hes drooling because he has a mouth infection. And he also had fever. He had a pink rash aswell. The vet was generous enough said he's going to treat it for free and release it later. But i asked him to call me when its treated maybe one of my friends will want to adopt him. :)

abyeb

Charlie's Purrson
Veteran
Purraise
Awesome news that he's getting the treatment he needs!

daisyd

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
That's great re vet !! Release the kitten ? where though ? Yes please see if have anyone who can adopt

maliha

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Release it around the vets place. There are many cats around, they feed them and all. But yes im gonna try to have someone adopt it

daisyd

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Release it around the vets place. There are many cats around, they feed them and all. But yes im gonna try to have someone adopt it
Ok sorry I wondered where they were going to release the kitten !! oh fingers crossed the baby can be adopted !

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
The cat is a beauty, quite unusual. Spotted tabby I think, and probably some shaded silver variation. Quite rare, has surely some Ancestor of some sort... Im sure he got dumped because he got sick.

Shouldnt be difficult to find an adopter. Promise the vet the adopter will either repay some for the costs, OR donate a sum in the vets name to somethig praiseworthy. Say Doctors without Boundaries (Medecines san FRONTIERE....).

I mean, I suspect the vet doesnt want a feeling he is used. He is willing to treat for free (including inhousing) a homeless cat, but he is perhaps not so eager to treat for free an owned cat.

Last edited:

orange&white

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thank you for helping him. :sickcat::lovecat:

A while back, my neighbors were vet techs. They said that people dropping off "boxes of kittens" or dumping stray cats at the office door overnight was quite common. Vets' offices are apparently "unofficial shelters" to some people. :(

I'm sure the vet will make sure the cat is well taken care of. Looking forward to any updates.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Yes, thank you for helping this cat, who is exquisite looking. Poor baby must have felt awful.

Please ask for an update from the vet for us, and we would love to see a picture of the cat when it is feeling better.

I do think he or she deserves a home, and I hope that one of your friends will adopt it! :)