Help!some Bleeding Almost 24 Hrs After Labor?

QuenV92

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My cat Jellybean birthed two kittens last night, (see this thread); the first one came around 1AM and was a stillborn. The second was born about 40 minutes later and everything went great. I'm not sure if she's done birthing all kittens,her lower abdomen near her vaginal area is still droopy like it was a few hours before her labor started last night from the kittens dropping. Around her two lowest nipples are what feels like sacs still inside her.
She has been doing perfectly fine. Napping,eating,drinking,nursing,cuddling and caring for her new baby,using the litter box. Even getting up and walking around a bit. I've noticed some small spots of blood on the floor when she sits. I hate to be grotesque, but it's the color of period blood. (Sorry,TMI,I know!!) It's just small spots here and there,it's not oozing out and she isn't bleeding all over the place. And she is perfectly happy,purring and wanting belly rubs. (Which is another reason I think there's more kittens. She's always hated her belly being touched,but starting last night she wanted it massaged.)
Is the little spots of blood normal after birth? I know it is in women...but I'm not sure if cats are the same.
Also,is it harder to look for contractions during the second stage of an interrupted labor? Here and there her breathing will get heavier,not panting just deeper and a littler faster. She didn't start panting until she started trying to push last night.
Thank you all for any advice!!!

Last edited by a moderator:

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
With just small spots - continue to observe closely, but probably its OK. As you say, it happens with woman too.
Watery red colored discharges are the common, but sometimes we can see small drops.

Its of course Full Alarm if its more than a few drops of living blood.

ashade1

Wild and Wonderful Animal Rescue Director
Top Cat
Purraise
Spotting blood up until a week after birth is normal :) Also the lumps you feel may be the uterus shrinking back to normal :)