HELP!! sick senior cat

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

kat'scat

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
no change here. it's about time to give him his meds again though. he hasn't eaten anything and is still throwing up a couple times a day. i'm calling the vet tomorrow and am planning on getting an xray done to see if anything has moved. if not, he's going to be PTS. if so.....and he's not showing severe signs of fatty liver, i'll continue to try to get him to pass it. thanks for all the advice and support!

and don't worry about polite with me. lol.

ktlynn

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Kat'sCat-

I'm sorry your little guy isn't doing any better. I feel so bad for him - it's miserable for a cat to be vomiting - they lose a lot of precious fluid which only makes them feel worse. If he isn't drinking on his own, use a syringe to give him water (slowly down the side of his mouth, not straight down the throat) to keep him hydrated. I worry too about how long it's been since he's eaten.

You'd mentioned in one of your first posts that you can't do surgery. I hope you don't mind me asking, but why not? If it's a financial concern, speak with the vet about it, you may be able to work something out. Some vets will let you do a payment plan. It's certainly worth a try.

I'd hate to see him PTS for something like an impacted hair ball, especially since he's been otherwise healthy and is only 11. An ultrasound may give a clearer picture of what's wrong than an X-ray, but it's an expensive test, much more than an X-ray. You might as well put the money toward surgery if an X-ray shows the "2 somethings" are in the same place.

I'm hoping for the best for your kitty.

beckiboo

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I am so sorry you are dealing with this! I hope your kitty's blockage is moving. I think he should be fed little bits, too. Even if he pukes them up, he may get some benefit.

I can see hesitating about the surgery...since you don't know what is causing the blockage. I hope that surgery isn't necessary!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

kat'scat

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
my decision was against surgery becasue (in no particular order) 1. his age 2. the bodies were not conclusively the problem (they might not have even been in his gi tract 3. the money. 800 bucks. 4. at this point, the likelyhood that he'd go into fatty liver anyways. it was not a decision i took lightly....and if i had a lot of money kicking around, the dicision MIGHT have been different. but honestly...i'm not sure that it would have been.

it was not a hairball....the xrays showed that it was dense...it was almost as dense as bone. (perhaps as dense as non-weight bearing ones).

but it's all kinda moot now. i took him back to the vet because he's been getting worse. i did not come home with him.

thank you all for your support and your advise. i'm sorry that i'm a hit and runner...i do a few dog boards and it seems like we always get a bunch of people that post once and then disappear....anyways.....thank you again.