Help! Sick Cat - Hairball Situation

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

newmamacat

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
He is all about drinking water. He has had some food. Pretty sluggish still though. He has been meowing some.

I'm dreading having to give him the stool softener on the morning - only because he tends to put up a fuss when it's time for any sort out f medicine (particularly something he has to swallow).
It sounds normal..  He probably feels a little off.  He should sleep a bit, mine usually do after a vet trip, it's stressful for the cat,  Just keep an eye on him.

handsome kitty

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Do you have any pill pockets?  they work amazingly well.  I am really bad at giving my cats any sort of meds.  My favorite vet always give the injections whenever possible.  He always seems to be almost laughing when he sees me. I tell myself he's just a happy guy LOL

newmamacat

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I don't. But it is a liquid medicine that has a dropper.

A note from the vet said to really only give frequent small amounts of water to him for the first few hours. And the same with food. So my current debate is how much to leave down tonight (water/food)?

newmamacat

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
When I got home from work this evening, I found that he had thrown up a couple of times. He has peed during the day, but no stool. Also still a little more sluggish and withdrawn than usual. I'm hoping that this is normal though?

This morning he ate and drank. When I checked the litterbox then, one of the cats had pooped, and judging how it looked, I think it was him.

They gave me a stool softener to give him by mouth, which was a struggle this morning. But I managed to get it.

Despite being sluggish, he is acting more normal (he showed interest earlier in a toy, he climbed in the shower to check it out before I took it this morning, and he sat under my flower baskets when I watered them this afternoon - all things he generally shows interest in). He has also eaten and had water since I have been home to see, and I'm sure they both did throughout the day.

How's he doing today?

newmamacat

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
After a couple more visits to the vet clinic and multiple tests, Boots has been diagnosed with chronic kidney disease.

He is spending his second night at the vet tonight and receiving an IV to lower his enzyme levels and help him stay hydrated.

Please keep Boots, Socks, and I in your thoughts. Socks is missing her brother, and so am I. Hoping for better news tomorrow.

newmamacat

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Update:

Boots passed away 7/23/15 - after being sick for a 5 weeks in total. He was 8 years old.

He will be missed. Our loss will take time to heal, but I find comfort in knowing I did everything I could for my "little man."

I wanted to share this photo of Boots, and ask that you all keep us in your thoughts in the days ahead. Thank you.

mphscat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I am so so very sorry for your loss. Time does not heal the pain....it just makes it more bearable.

LotsOfFur

What greater gift than the love of a cat.
Top Cat
Purraise
My heart is breaking for your loss. You will definitely be in my thoughts and prayers.